Parents Allergy medication

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yuenling

Proud Parent
My daughter seems to be allergic to tumbling, literally. She always has to run to blow her nose in the middle of practice many times. I recently started giving her Claritin every day, and Sudafed on some days. She's been off Sudafed this week and I'm thinking of giving it to her tomorrow (her last practice before the meet), and Saturday morning. I'm afraid the Claritin will make her drowsy even though it isn't supposed.

I remember Sudafed being a banned substance in the Olympics. It probably would make her jittery since it is a stimulant. But I also don't like her having a runny nose. Does anyone have recommendations?

Claratyne shouldnt make her drowsy.
Sudafed no longer contains pseudoephedrine unless you are asking for it specifically from a pharmacist. The over the counter stuff contains a different substance that is not a problem.

Talk to a pharmacist about using a nasal spray if it is just a runny nose thing.
There are a few around, there is a relatively new one called Nasonex that works (for us) really well, better than others we have tried. It also doesn't seem to spray as hard into the nose, it's a bit gentler :)
We also use Otrivin on particularly bad days.

I would not try anything new right before a meet. But people react differently to different meds. So if the Sudafed/Claritin combo is working for your dd don't change it. Has the Claritin made her tired in the past? Personally, Zyrtec works the best for us. And nasal sprays just make my nose run even more.

And nasal sprays just make my nose run even more.
There are a few different types. The ones you use everyday don't have that (incredibly annoying) effect.
I agree though. Don't change what works. Unless you look at the packet of Sudafed and it doesn't have the letters PE on the front. If it contains pseudoephedrine then she'll be in trouble if they drug test her :) the ones labelled PE don't have it in them.

I also find that pseudoephedrine makes me antsy, so I avoid it unless I'm REALLY sick! We have good success with loratadine, which is the generic version of Claritin, in our household of snifflers. Still, DD remains the beam area tissue box's best customer most of the year, sigh. Claritin/loratadine should not cause drowsiness.

both my kids take Allegra (or the generic version) as well as flonase nasal allergy spray. I think the flonase works better than the pill with controlling allergy symptoms. It just became available over the counter this year.

Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec (and their generics all should not make her sleepy, but sometimes they do. In the trials zyrtec had the most sedation out of the 3) They all last 24 hours, so you can give it at bedtime and hopefully not see any sedation in the morning but still reap the benefits. I totally agree about nasocort/nasonex/flonase, these work better than any oral med, but they take 2 weeks to get to full effect. I would start them ASAP and once they are "working" then you can cut back on the oral to as needed for a bad day.
Sudafed (the real stuff that you have to give your address and present your ID for) will make her jittery and wired, but the OTC phenylepherine that now takes the place of "real" sudafed on the shelf shouldn't make her jittery. Best of luck!

Reactions: COz
My daughter seems to be allergic to tumbling, literally. She always has to run to blow her nose in the middle of practice many times. I recently started giving her Claritin every day, and Sudafed on some days. She's been off Sudafed this week and I'm thinking of giving it to her tomorrow (her last practice before the meet), and Saturday morning. I'm afraid the Claritin will make her drowsy even though it isn't supposed.

I remember Sudafed being a banned substance in the Olympics. It probably would make her jittery since it is a stimulant. But I also don't like her having a runny nose. Does anyone have recommendations?
Sudafed doesn't stop a runny nose. It's a decongestant, so it makes the nose run to clear it out. Also, as far as the banned substance. Also, which Sudafed are you giving her? There are two now one that is available on the shelf and the one you have to sign for at the pharmacy. The one behind the pharmacy counter contains pseudophedrine. This is the substance that is banned (It is pretty contriversial as it was banned the not then was again.). It is behind the counter as it's also used to make meth.

An antihistamine is what will keep her nose from running. Claritin, Benadryl etc. Some can make you sleepy. I have never felt sleepy from Claritin - FYI.

But sudafed (pseudoephedrine) does stop runny noses. It works on the adrenergic receptors causing vasoconstriciton. SO it helps the stuffy and also decreases mucous production. Because it is a sympathomemetic, it can make you "awake" and "jittery" and increase Heart rate.
Claritin is an antihistamine, it is a drying agent in general, so it too should help with runny.

Back in the old days, I took Polaramine every day as my tissue consumption was having severe deforestation consequences.
Thank goodness Teldane came on the market (not recommending it, that was the only non-drowsy alternative at the time). I once took some lecture notes, in the front row no less, under the influence of Polaramine... and whilst I would have been drowsy and non-functional and submerged in a torrent of mucus had I not taken it... I kind of fell asleep in class, and continued to take notes. It was a very interesting re-read of those notes, I really did keep taking notes, but they bore no resemblance to what happened in class!! :eek::oops:

I have a child the competes for the worst allergies on the planet. For him, it take a lot of meds just so he is not miserable. We give most at night just incase. But Flonase is a great option to add.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back