WAG Aly and Mihai during international meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sure would be interesting for a coach to try to coach two international teams at once at a meet like worlds. Honestly I do not think it could happen. But Mihai could coach her and then the nat team staff coach her at meets.

I think it will be immensely distracting for him if he is on one piece with the Australian team and Aly is competing another piece with the US team at the same time.

Sylvie can be with her at the meets (if she's not judging) or other National Team coaches. Aly is a very seasoned competitor and probably does not require the same level of hands on guidance as a young, inexperienced gymnast. That being said -- it is a rather strange scenario.

Interesting. This is common enough in swimming but not in gymnastics. When coaches have lived in one country and coached gymnasts from another, they usually haven't overlapped that I can think of. (Example: Geddert...but no overlap).

Not sure if Mihai would be the one on floor if he isn't moving there. Presumably the personal coaches of the top gymnasts will be? That would be like if Martha was the one out on the floor. He can still be in charge and put another coach out on the floor.

What interests me is that Mihai is the NTC of Australia, yet he lives in the US and clearly isn't moving here. He also intends to run his gym and, apparently, may coach gymnasts personally. I assume he will fly to Australia every few months for camps. Even so, I can't help but envision a pyramid without a top tier, and I hope it doesn't create confusion or a lack of cohesion amongst the coaches. One of the reasons the US system has succeeded is because of the strict structure, and the close proximity of high achieving gymnasts to The Powers That Be, i.e. Marta. How can our Australian girls benefit from that when the NTC isn't even in the country?

I know that he is a big name, and rightfully so, but why didn't GA pick someone focused more single-handedly on the task at hand? Mihai can only put his skills to good use coaching and directing the Australian team if he dedicates lots of time to the job. This is, after all, a big task. Others may consider it the pinnacle of their career.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does, but this makes me somewhat apprehensive. It's like we have a part-time NTC...

One of the reasons the US system has succeeded is because of the strict structure, and the close proximity of high achieving gymnasts to The Powers That Be, i.e. Marta. How can our Australian girls benefit from that when the NTC isn't even in the country?

In America the NC is centralised at the Ranch. There are strong parameters & guidelines given by the NC to personal coaches and the NC sees the gymnasts at the ranch.

Swop the ranch for the AIS in Canberra, & given that Mihai has been visiting around the country with several visits to each club with an IL program ( as published on the GA website) & the event program for the year lists the senior/ junior camps ( on the GA website) there seems to be a solid framework for Mihai to work in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back