Parents Aly Raisman book for kiddos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymkids

Proud Parent
Just wondering if anyone or their kids have read the new Aly Raisman book. I know my daughter would love it, but I know she mentions the sexual abuse she suffered and I'm wondering in what context, how much detail, etc...basically trying to figure out if it's appropriate for my 10 1/2 year old. Would love any input!

I'm pretty sure I saw Aly herself say that the parts about the abuse are age appropriate and not graphic. Can't remember where I saw that though... Instagram maybe?

I'm pretty sure I saw Aly herself say that the parts about the abuse are age appropriate and not graphic. Can't remember where I saw that though... Instagram maybe?

Yeah, amazon says 12-17, she's almost 11. The reviews aren't helping me much, but it just came out. I'll have to do a little more digging, thanks. Or maybe just buy it and read it before Christmas. :)

Daughter currently reading it. She is 11 1/2. We have talked about the abuse situation. And when she gets to that point in the book, she knows she is supposed to let me know so I can read and we can talk.

Yeah, amazon says 12-17, she's almost 11. The reviews aren't helping me much, but it just came out. I'll have to do a little more digging, thanks. Or maybe just buy it and read it before Christmas. :)

Just to add to that, it was actually published by a children's imprint - Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. So while young adult - like Hunger Games or Maze Runner - it's not going to be as explicit as it would be if for adults. Because it has to get through gatekeepers, meaning parents and librarians. That said, it's young adult, usually 13 or 14 up, not middle grade, which is 8-13, like say Percy Jackson. So it's a question not only of content but also reading level. Gabby's bio, on the other hand, was published for adults (actually from a faith-based imprint), and then adapted in a different edition for kids.

It's fine. It talks about him not using gloves and how she didn't think that was odd until another doctor was working on her hamstrings and skilled gloves on. It talks about how she didn't like the way he touched her and it felt awkward but she didn't realize it was abuse. There's no details as to what he actually did to constitute the abuse. You have to read between the lines.

I would definitely read the book myself before handing it over to my daughter. Remember... You can't "unread" something. Be careful and think about how it might affect the way your daughter looks at gymnastics after reading her book.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back