Parents Am I a crazy gymnastics Mom?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I need some advice. I need to know if I am being one of those ‘crazed gymnastics’ moms! And I know you ladies will tell me the truth!

DD is at camp this week at Lake Owen. It is her 3rd year. She loves it every year.

As you may know, they ask you what skills you can do when you come in. Then that night they ‘test’ those skills and put you into common skill groups. With Group 1 being the highest, the past 2 years she has been in Group 2. This year she is in Group 3. I think she is in a group too low.

She has been doing giants, BHS on High Beam and Full twists for 2 years. These are the skills that have put her in group 2 for the past couple years. The team mates in group 3 with her, that can’t do any of those skills (they are learning those skills).

This year she can do more skills, She is flipping her tsuk into the pit by herself. She also is pretty consistent on her full and a half. What is more frustrating, there is a girl from her gym in group 2 doesn’t have giants. Does that make sense?

When it comes down to it, I don’t really care what group she is in.. I care about what skills she is working while at camp. She is working really hard to go to level 8 this year. She needs to work her tsuk and Pirouettes. She told me last night that she isn’t allowed to work Pirouettes in her group.
In past years she hasn’t necessarily come home with a bunch of skills but still was able to work new skills a little. I have never been too concerned with her getting ‘New’ Skills at camp. She is an optional gymnast; they don’t just get new skills in a week. It takes time…but it is important to work those skills she is on the ‘brink of’ or those skills she is inconsistent with.

I guess I feel like right now I wasted a whole bunch of money to send her to a camp where she isn’t able to work on the things she needs to. Should I call her coach? He is the one that is pushing for the skills. Should I just forget about it and then when this is all over write a letter to Camp? Should I call camp? Or should I just let it all go and tell myself that it is summer camp – only a week out of her life, she is getting good experience regardless and move on…..

Thanks!
K

Last edited:
I can empathise completely, my litlle DD's first week at camp she was placed in a way too high group, so they moved her to the lowest group which has rec and beginners gymmies. she wasn't allowed to do any skill without a spot including BWO', She was so mad by the time I picked her up. Not a lot youcan do after the fact. There is no reason why a coach cannot train many different levels and skills within one group.

I did write and complain> The next week she went back she was placed in the right group, was happy and worked lots of fun skills.

Camps can be great, but once in a while it just doesn't work out. I suppose if at the end of the week she is happy then all is well, if not then next year maybe it'll be better to find a different camp or skip camp. Sucks though.

By the way you are no more crazy than I am.:melodramatic:

You are not a crazy gym mom - I would be frustrated too. When my dd went to camp last week she ended up not being in the same group as her friend and they are the same level and working the same skills. For some reason though they put her friend in a lower group and she was miserable. When my dd called me and told me I told her that her friend should say something to the coach. One of the great experiences of camp is that they have the opportunity to learn to be their own advocates. When her friend spoke to the coach and said it was too easy they did move her and she had a much better time. Unfortunately when they do skill testing with all those girls, mistakes are going to be made - it is not an exact science. I hope your dd ends up having fun and getting something out of it.

No you're not crazy. My gymmie was at LO back in June. She was in group 2 I would guess from your description and is just where your dd is---making the push to L8. A couple of girls who had been on her L7 team ended up in group 3 which the others didn't understand. They had 2 coaches with them and they didn't move the girls---left them in the groups they ended up in. Now, my gymmie said basically both groups were practicing most of the same skills. I don't think she did much with the pirouette---some drills maybe, but she was more focused on getting her baile.

It is your money and your child. If she feels bored and not challenged in her group, then I would call and ask about her being moved or at least being able to work on some other skills. If nothing else, ask for an explanation as to why she is in that group-----what did the coaches doing the testing see or not see?

They will sometimes move a girl if they are not happy I would talk to one of the coaches. Maybe she could go to the open gym time and possibly and ask for help with those skills she wants she should tell them that her coach wants her to work on those skills. They want them to leave happy so they come back .Let me know if this doesnt help. If you end up calling call around 7:30am, noon or 5 pm cause the coaches should be near the cafeteria and the office.

Last edited:
Hey Friend I have no advice as we have not done gymnasitcs camp. I do however sypmathize and do not think you are crazy. Best luck to Beetle she is a strong kid hopefully if she is bored she will tell them.

My only thought in the issue is that it is All Star Week, so the top groups might be very full due to that. Last week Group one had 15 level 10's in it, the most that they had all summer.

Barb

Thats right it is all star week. I think my dd's teammate was the only level 10 there the week we were there and shes been there all summer.

LOL, I do not think you are crazy at all. As a matter of fact I read your post TWICE looking for the part where you may have turned into a crazy mom and I may have glanced over it! Seriously, my middle child never speaks up for himself. There have been times where he would stand in line for a ride and would never get on because so many kids would cut in front of him or race ahead of him when the ride operator opened the gate. To this day (he is 10) I often make my 12 yr old stand with him. It is his nature not to brag about his accomplishments or complain. Now my gymmie is the #3 child and had she been going to this camp she probably would have negotiated working out with the first group (even w/her stinky basic L4 skills, LOL) somehow and the L10's because that is how she is personality wise, LOL

But back to you...I feel the same way. If you are spending money on camp and want her to get the experience/goals she was looking for (and her coach too) then I would probably say something. Yes, you want them to have fun too, but you also want them to be with the girls of similar skills. I am not sure how it all works because we have not gone, but is there a questionaire they fill out before they get there, or coach recomendation? Do they "test" the kids to make sure they belong in the right groups and can she possibly be changed if they see that she is better than the group she was put in?

Anyway, keep us posted...it must be exciting to be at gymnastics camp as the Olympics are starting! Do they do something special like watch opening ceremony together?

Thank you for all your replies. I know now that I am not a 'crazed gym Mom'! But I still might change my screen name to that :)

To answer some questions: If you count the "All Star Group" she would be in Group 4.. The All stars are together in a group. Even our L10 who was in the All Star group last year is not asked to be in All Stars ( since she didnt go a previous week) - She is in Group 1.

She talked to her coach that is in Camp with her about changing groups. She told Beetle that she doesnt understand how this 1 girl is a head of Beetle but there is nothing that can be done to change the groups. And after hearing what Group 2 is working on (double backs on floor, Yurchenko vaults, tucks on beam) I know this is not the group she should be in. I think the other girl is in a group too high. Not Beetle in a group too low.

I also talked to her Head Coach here.. They are doing a couple different things. First she is going to go to Open gyms to work the skills she needs. And even better, since they have a coach at camp they can go down to practice when there is no one else in the gym. Just as long as there is a coach there. So, they are going to forgo some open gyms (since I guess it is chaotic) and do some quiet one on one practice time (or 10 to one since we have 10 girls there).

But then to make matters worse, during this mornings practice she turned a pioruette and smacked her ankle on a cross bar.. she missed afternoon practice and maybe night practice. She called me crying. She said she couldnt walk on it. The nurse told her to ice it, but then she didnt know what to do after that. I dont think this was any fault of the nurse I think it was again Beetle not knowing to ASK what she should do! I think she is ready to come home already.

In past years (pre Cell Phone) I didnt hear from her at all... I talked/text her 6 times today! It is too much!!! LOL! I am too stressed about the whole thing.. she needs to just relax and enjoy camp..

If her ankle continues to hurt, she can get tylenol or motrin from the nurse, and get to the gym early for the trainers to get her ice. Have her tell Natalie and Larissa that Barb says HI.

Barb

I'm sorry her ankle is hurting :(you must be hurting too not being there with her :hug: I think tuesdays at camp is the worst day for all the girls wed thurs and friday will be better. I noticed that this yr and last yr with all our girls. Tuesday they are starting to get cranky and miss their own beds and then by wed and thursday they think "I can get through this" the parent staff also feels this way. I think our girls were starting to get on each others nerves by wed and then they settled in. I hope the next few days are better. Let us know how it's going

Go Beetle!!

Hugs for you and Beetle. I am sure she'll feel better in the morning, but I am sure right now you both need a good sleep.

Bog

Poor Beetle - I hope her ankle is feeling better today. Maybe next year we can send them to camp together - after the first day between the two of them they will use up all the minutes on the cell phone so they can't call so much :D Seriously though - it must be tough on her getting hurt and being away from home. I hope she gets through it and has fun for the rest of the week.

Just wondering how today went for Beetle

I am wondering too!! I got a text from her this morning saying her ankle didnt hurt as bad but that she couldnt tumble. She also said she didnt take any advil. I dont think she is getting much gymnastics done.

If I hear from her I will let you all know!

Thanks for being so supportive!

I think it's great your dd talked to you about her issues and to her coaches. She got a reasonable answer and the problem was solved. Standing up for herself is a good thing to learn and that's what camps can do. They offer the chance to grow & gain a little independence in a safe enviornment.

Well with 1 day left of camp she had her first day of Full practice! Her ankle is mostly healed! She did both her fulls and full and a halfs on floor.. BHS on Beam. Giants and Tsuked by herself into the pit.

She also learned a standing back full of Beam. Not sure when she will use it but at least she is learning something new!

She is a different kid on the phone tonight than she was on Tuesday!

I am looking forward to tomorrow when I can finally see her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back