Am I to competitive?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I wouldnt say that I was mean to my competitiors but I do live off of competition. When I quit dance and was put into a rec gymnastics team I was so upset becausethat team didnt compete. Lukily for me I moved up pre-competition levels in about half of a year and was competing quite quickly. But now that im injured I feel likeim more competitive about everything, grades, games,and jost arguing points. I dont feel like I try to do this but its just what happens. At competitions i quickly figure out who are thegirls in my age groupand whichones are the onesto beat, and when I get to a competition its allabout winning for me, I dont talk much and I just really focus. I have funbutI feel the only fun part for me is to win. Even at practice I hate when someone gets a skill before me. I dont say anything but I do work harder and harder to get that skill. I also get excited when I get something before someone else. So I was just wondering if this would be considered as to competitive?

Yes, I'd consider that very competitive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! Competition is what drives us to do better! So keep your competitiveness, just as long as it doesn't get in the way of your sportsmanship!

Relax a bit Northstar...or you'll find yourself unable to have fun. On the other hand...here is one of my favorite quotes:

“You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates.” ~ Richard M. Nixon

Learn from your mistakes...try to win...have fun winning...but make sure you have fun when you are not winning also. Pizza and ice cream are just as good in 10th place as they are in first. That's what everyone should do after a meet...pizza and ice cream!

Ahh, I super competitive too! I push myself alot! And it is also a sort of drive when when someone gets the skill before me... i just dont even think i just make sure i work extra hard to get to that level even tho they have been in gymnastics for ages longer than me.. i guess thats just what keeps me going. i dont consider it a bad thing but watch out it can get in the way.

I'm also VERY competitive, in some way I've ben pushed for being like that but I think if you still have time for fun and laughes it's good. But you also may be careful on the way you treat your teammates. I've learned a lot from gymnastics, and much more for competing, and being so competitive is to support one another. I still don't like when someone gest a skill earlier than me or just she copies me a double-skill and I know what you mean with the satisfaction of getting something earlier.
I think you should look at yourself and evaluate if your competitiveness let you to be still a good teammate :)

Yes that does make you competitive but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think all gymnasts in general have a competitive streak and are perfectionists. I think everyone hopes they aren't the last to get a skill etc. What you have to becareful of is isolating yourself. Remember you are part of a team and you should be happy for your teammates when they succeed too even if they do better than you do. Give teammates the high five, and don't be afraid to compliment them when they do a good job. Ask for their advice on skills - ask them to watch you and see if they can see any mistakes. Nothing give a team a feeling of "Team" than working together and helping each other.

How you treat others when you are competitive will determine if its a bad thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back