Coaches Am I too old to be an elite gymnast in the olympics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cocolove35

I am 16 years old and I want to start gymnastics and possibly make it to the 2012 or 2016 olympics. I took one class at the YMCA when I was about 11 and havn't taken classes since then. I am still really flexible but not in really good shape. Being in the Olympics is one of my hightest goals in life and it means the most to me. Do you think I am too old to make it to the olympics? What steps should I take to get there?

Thanks,
Becca

I hate to be one of those people that tell you things are impossible. But it pretty much is impossible to do what you want. If its what you really want go for it, sign up at your local club that has a strong program and see what you can do from there. GL

While being an Olympic gymnast is your dream, it may not be a very good goal at this time. That happens after years and years of work, sacrifice and the stars being aligned just right.

Perhaps competing at JO competitions, as Johnson and Liukin did, would be a good start, and the Olympics could come later.

Never say never, but doubtful. If you could train for the next dozen or so years, focusing on that, and stay healthy...maybe.

A possibility of competing in gymnastics in college is still possible, but not likely as per a scholarship.

I still would not let these factors get in the way if you want to get healthy and do gymnastics. There is always the possibility of the Olympics in something like polevaulting, diving, trampoline, tumbling; something gymnastics derived.

Thanks for the commentary. I just wanted to say that I don't want to do this because I saw the Olympics I've wanted to do this for years, but have never had the funding to do so. We still don't have alot of funding but I am older and have more say in it. Okay, I know that I am quite old to start training. But it is what I am going to do. I believe I can do it, Dara Torres is a great example and this Gymnast I just watched from Germany. Now I need to know where to start. Where can you find a list of qualified coaches to train me personaly? What things can I do now to benifit me later (as in qualifiying me for the olympics)? What excercises should I do on a daily basis? And any other advice would be very helpful. And if not what about rythmic gymnastics?

Thanks,
Becca

Thanks for the commentary. I just wanted to say that I don't want to do this because I saw the Olympics I've wanted to do this for years, but have never had the funding to do so. We still don't have alot of funding but I am older and have more say in it. Okay, I know that I am quite old to start training. But it is what I am going to do. I believe I can do it, Dara Torres is a great example and this Gymnast I just watched from Germany. Now I need to know where to start. Where can you find a list of qualified coaches to train me personaly? What things can I do now to benifit me later (as in qualifiying me for the olympics)? What excercises should I do on a daily basis? And any other advice would be very helpful. And if not what about rythmic gymnastics?

Thanks,
Becca

You would have a WAY better chance for opportunities in rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline or diving.

Oksana Chusovitina...the "gymnast from Germany" actually started gymnastics when she was very little...and competed all this time (in between having a kid). She didn't start late...she just keeps on going. The majority of the skills she does today are skills she learned when she was about 14 years old. She is amazing...mainly because of her longevity, not necessarily her age.

When it comes to money...to be trained "personally", we are talking $60 to $100 per hour.

You may want to look into a club near you so that you can be a part of a team. Trying out with them may give you an idea as to what Level you would be and how much work you are going to have to put into this venture.

Your determination sounds wonderful and it will get you very far. You can definatly take up gymnastics at the age of 16 (and much older) and make excellent progress and become a quite successful competitor. But be aware of what it takes to make the olympics. The athletes you see competing have been training since they were and 3, 4 or 5 years old. They generally begin very serious training around 7-8 years of age and may be in the gym 15-20 hours a week. By the time they are 10 or 11 they are looking at an elite training schedule which is 6-7 hours a day of training 6 days a week. Many of their parents work 2-3 jobs in order to pay for their high level training.

There are only a few coaches in each country who even have the ability to take gymnasts to this level, most have to move in order to train with them.

Also be aware that most of these gyms would not take you onto their team, gyms that aim for athletes of this level wont take older athletes on who are beginners. They will only take 6 year olds.

I dont mean to discourage you, I think it is a very worthwhile goal and I think you will get a lot out of your gymnastics training. But the olympics is an unrealistic goal for almost any gymnast. If your goal is to reach your full potential as a gymnast then you cant go wrong. Your full potential could be anything from competing as a level 4 to competing at the olympics.

For gyms in Florida, check this out:

USA Gymnastics Online: Club Locator

Region 8 Gymnastics - "The Best of 8 Worlds"

I reccomend getting in the gym as many hours as possible ( fiscally ). Most likely you'll end up in a rec class 2x a week, or maybe an adult class 1 or 2x a week. Look into see if they have any trampoline/tumbling classes as well besides open gym.

Strength, strength, strength...and of course flexibility. Building these two will fast-track your progress if you cannot get in the gym enough or on team and end up in just rec classes ( which typically don't do S&C enough ).

Thanks for the encouragement Aussie Coach. It's nice to hear someone say you can. Espically when you just heard 3 other coaches say you can't. I really appreaciate it. Do you know if there is a list of certified coaches and contact numbers? My mom is suppose to go cheak out Brandy Johnson's Global Gymnastics Academy and a few other gyms after this tropical storm passes florida. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Thank you everyone.

Becca.

Thanks I'll tell my mom.

:]:]

How long does it take to train for rythmic gymnastics compared to artistic?
And I don't see any Americans in the Olympics for rthymic gymnastic, do we have any?

:rhythmic:

Training for elite level Rythmic gymnastics also takes many, many years of training many, many hours a week. The top level rythmics will train around 30 or more hours a week and have studied for many, many years.

It's highly unlikely but then again Kathy Johnson and Ludivive Furnon did not start until they were twelve. You would have to have a hell of a lot of talent and/or a lot of money and natural physical strength at this age, but I believe nothing is impossible. Still, at this age you will need to have SOME luck on your side :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back