Am I Too Old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys im Tak =)

I just have a quick question. Im 19 years old and used to compete as a young one (competed for 3 years up to level 3- then i quit until last year)

im training for an adults competition in 2009 but my days are limited to only being able to train tuesday nights and wednesdays & all that my gym could offer me is training level 4-6 gymstar for 3 hrs wed nights which is exactly what im looking for...however... im 19...and the others are...kids..like between 13-17. Is it stupid for me to be training with them? I feel insecure because im just so much older but I need this time in the gym.

They said i could compete if i lik aswel but I think that would just be way out of the question with my age.

I would appreciate some feed back if possible!

Thank you for taking the time for ready my question // if you respond thank you in advance!

Yeah - i wont be able to compete this year but as a parent yourself would you be uncomfortable if your young ones had a 19 year old in their class?

I do not think that I would. My DD will be 8 next month. When she practices w/ the higher level girls on Thursdays she is w/ older girls. I think the oldest is 15. But still no, I don't really think that the age should matter. It should be skill level, desire and love of gymnastics that matter.

You are definitely not too old. I'm not sure if you are in the USA or not, but for some strange reason adult gymnastics isnt popular here and I've heard many people on this board say that they have hard time finding meets and even gyms to train at. But people in other countries say adult gymnastics is much more popular (like australia for example).

If it's all teenagers I don't think it's a big deal, as long as you plan to conduct yourself accordingly. When I go back to my old gym to work out that group is pretty young, like 9-15.

Thank you very much for all of your responses.

I am in Australia =) I gues even though the girls are alot better than myself at this stage I would feel if i ever cometed with these guys it would give me an unfair advantage because of my age.

I would love to organise adult levels//competeing but im not sure if it would take off down here in Aus.

The group I was in last year (when I was 17/turning 18) had kids as young as 9 years old in it, and the oldest was 13. I'm not going to lie, the 9 year olds got on my nerves a fair bit, but all of the 12+ year olds were great. Also, for several years I was the oldest in my group by 2 years, and I still had a blast.
About the competing, if thats what you want to do, I say go for it.

There are a lot of people in your position. When it gets to high level gymnastics there are only a limited number of gymnasts at that level in each club so the ages are going to be very split. Having an adult training with kids as young as 7 or 8 does happen. It is usually just because the adult was a bit of a late starter and the 7-8 year olds are very, very good for their age. Don't worry it definatly does happen, and many adults do compete. Of course there are hundreds of kids to each adult, but dont let that stop you.
You are only 2 years older than the oldest member of your group, thats nothing at all.

I take it the adult competition that you are training for in 2009 is the masters games. There are a few problems with that. You must be at least 20 years old to compete in the gymnastics section, will you be 20 by next february? The real problem though is with other competitions. If you are under 30 you cant compete in the masters games if you have competed in another gymnastics competitions (other than a verterans or masters comp) in the past two years. If you compete in regular gymnastics meets you wont be able to compete at masters.

One of my coaches is Elijah Evans who is the organiser for the masters games from this end as it is held down here in geelong next year which is where i live/train.

I know all of the rules (I turn 20 on December 30) and I wont be competing in anything this year at all :) If I do compete as gymstar levels it wont be until after the masters next year =)

Will you be competing in the Masters?

I'm 26, and actually thinking about competing again! I would want to work out with the younger team kids, as the "adults" in my class just goof off, and flirt with our teacher. I just found out from the head of the Virginia Committee that I'm age eligible, I just need to start saving money and relearning skills! The kids will probably look up to you more than anything.

Thats awesome you should do it!!

I dont think they would look up to me as such I guess i just feel silly because some of them are as young as 12 and I feel a bit...weird because im learning the things they are learning and they are so much younger - if that makes sense ;p but im not going to let that stop me!

There are so many adults that would love to compete//have a second chance that I wish I could find someone to approach about having Adult Gymnastics Levels..so just like the young ones are doing but have to be say 17+ to be able to compete and can only compete with your age group//level and such

The class I signed up for is advertised as teen/adult, seems like they're throwing everything recreational that's 13 and older together...don't know what sort of mix it's going to be. I hope that sort of thing works ok!

I am 22 and I still train at a local club (the same one I have always been at). I train in a group with girls ranging from 10 or 11 years up to my age (the second oldest is 17).

I also still compete, and there are a many older teens and young 20-somethings competing along side me or in lower levels. There is even a woman competing in state level 10 who is 34!! she has 2 kids who come and watch her at competitions! :)

Don't let age differences bother you..... both you and the younger kids will get used to it. If you want to do gym, then go for it!! :D

(btw... I'm in Australia too - Melbourne :))

One of my coaches is Elijah Evans who is the organiser for the masters games from this end as it is held down here in geelong next year which is where i live/train.

I know all of the rules (I turn 20 on December 30) and I wont be competing in anything this year at all :) If I do compete as gymstar levels it wont be until after the masters next year =)

Will you be competing in the Masters?

Hi, sorry, I hope my post didnt sound like I was implying that you didnt know the rules, I was just making sure. Good luck with the masters games, it sounds like a fantastic idea. Anything that keeps adults active in our sport is a fantastic idea. It would be great if the idea would catch on and these sorts of competitions could be helpd more regularly. I won't be competing myself as I am not eligable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back