WAG Am I training too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I'm level 10 and I train 32.5 hours a week. It's 5 hours on Monday, 6.5 hours Tuesday and Wednesday, 5 on Thursday, 5.5 on Friday and 4 on Saturday.

It has come to my attention that most girls don't train more than 20 hours. So is my gym training too much? Is this too much time at the gym?

That does seem like too much. My girls train 20 hours a week. It's 4 hours Monday-Friday. How do you have time for 32.5 hours a week!? I couldn't imagine my dds at gym that long. And I though my dds trained too much.

But hey, if it works for you and you're not exhausted and that's the schedule your gym has...

I guess I would say that, if it works for you, and is helping you meet your goals (are you trying for a college scholarship?) and you're not burning out or suffering from a lot of injuries, then go for it. You said that you do cyber-charter. I'm sure that helps as far as having enough hours in your day to do everything you need to do.

Look at it this way... Someday you'll be all grown up and will probably have a 40-hour-a-week job and it will seem really easy to you! ;)

It depends on your goals and the goals of the gym. If you are working towards elite then it's about right. If you are going for just competing and enjoying the sport then it's far too much.

I think it depends on what you are expecting in return for the time you're putting into the gym. I can see those hours if your dreams include taking a shot at the elite program, and your progress in the gym backs up those dreams. It's not like you have to have a guarantee of making it, but a least a genuine possibility. I could see 32.5 hours if you loved being there, and even if you didn't love every minute or have periods of regret, but always return to loving it.

I wrote earlier about my feelings, so you already know that I think JO's should be around 20 or fewer hours. I believe with 20 hours you can get up to level 10 and compete with pretty interesting skills, Maybe you won't qualify for nationals unless you go all out at every practice, and maybe not in a couple of regions, but then that's the way it should be, because goals don't come easy with-out hard work.

So here's a nutshell re-cap....If it takes 32.5 hours to do L10 because you're in a region where everyone has jumped on the elite or nothing band wagon, then you probably have to go along with it to have a decent post season run. If that's the situation, and that post season run is what keeps you going, then those hours are fine....as long as your willing to put them in, are working hard, and are enjoying your over all experience.

Keep in mind that this is how it works for me and the kids that I've coached........but you are the only one that can decide if it works for you.

Some of this depends on actually how many turns are being taken per event.

Another is in your body's ability to recover between workouts while not suffering from overuse issues.

Whether your goals are to just be a L10, or make it to a collegiate team with a full ride scholarship, or make the National Team.

I train 28 hours a week and I'm only a level 8 so I'd say you're fine. It also depends on the gymnast. If you're happy and not burnt out then there's no shame in training all the time. :) I would do more hours if I could!

In my state and region we have a lot of elites who have dropped back to 10 so meets are tough. Also we have some hours in the morning and some afternoon so it's not too bad. I like being there and im not burned out so I think I'm ok, it just sort of caught me of guard, like, "wow, I train over 30 hours a week??"

At our gym levels 8-10 train just over 20 hrs/week. There are other gyms in the area where same age/level girls are training 30+ hours while in a homeschool program. On average, they are scoring about the same (within a few tenths) as our girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back