WAG Amazing Catch! Coach saves gymnast's life!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of our gymnasts did that in a practice. She shot back so hard barley missing the low bar. Our coach stays pretty close to all of them now.

My teammate had done about the same thing and broke both arms! Now, my coaches always stand between bars for girls just in case!

Reactions: sce
I have always thought it should be a requirement to stand in on counter swings. Sad that it isn't.

Are there any coaches here who are in a position to lobby USAG to make it a requirement?

As a parent I am absolutely terrified of L4 bars. My kid has already injured herself once in practice falling during the L4 routine.

Reactions: sce
Are there any coaches here who are in a position to lobby USAG to make it a requirement?

As a parent I am absolutely terrified of L4 bars. My kid has already injured herself once in practice falling during the L4 routine.
It sure if they legally can. Some people are not equipped to spot and forcing them into that
Position could raise legal issues. I would like to see everyone do it , so don't get me wrong. A better solution is
To mandate a 8 inch crash if you choose not to spot.

As a level 3/4 coach I always stand by the bar for the level 3 shoot through and mill circle and for level 4 I stand in between the bars for the squat on/tap swing/dismount. Yes, they are simple skills, but they are also usually younger, less experienced gymnasts and mistakes happen. Also if girls are just getting used to wearing grips it can result in some scary falls.

As a level 3/4 coach I always stand by the bar for the level 3 shoot through and mill circle and for level 4 I stand in between the bars for the squat on/tap swing/dismount. Yes, they are simple skills, but they are also usually younger, less experienced gymnasts and mistakes happen. Also if girls are just getting used to wearing grips it can result in some scary falls.
You are a great coach !

thankfully, when my dd was in lvl 4, i didn't even know this could happen.
have seen this before out here and still amazed at the cat like reflexes these coaches have! our HC saved one of our lvl 7 gymmies from having a broken neck/back from a fall on high bar a couple of years ago (she was at the top of her giant and went straight down). stupid me watched the video - super scary! he caught her at the right time/right way and other than being scared, she was ok.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back