An Update (RE: incorrectly titled thread as "loud" coach)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, DD has now tried out at three different gyms! I think we've made a tentative decision... what do you all think?

As a refresher DD has JUST turned 7 and is a 'L3' gymnast at a gym that does not actually compete L3 girls... so, she isn't working on any routines, just skills to get ready for L4 (uh, "pre-team" then?).

Gym #1: A bit of a drive. Produced an olympic gymnast for 2008. It has a very rigid program, but also lets the girls develop on their own time. Coach recommended a year of pre-team for DD, then she'd join L3 next year if she's ready. Loved the place but timing for preteam doesn't quite work for us. Don't mind the drive so much as she'd likely be about 20-30 min late to practice every day. :(

Gym #2: Similar distance as Gym#1 but timing works a bit better. It WOULD be considered a much lower-level gym. Not of high concern for us. DD could join L3 now. A coach I trust completely told me to avoid the gym as her first DD started there. She would not tell me why. Her youngest DD's personality is similar to my DD's, so I do want to trust her judgement.

Gym #3: is by far the furthest away. Coach thinks DD could fit into their L3 program. And while further away, it starts later, so she wouldn't be late to practice. It also incorporates 1 hour of mandatory dance within the curriculum, which my DD would LOVE (she jumped up and down when the coach mentioned it - til now it's been an either/or deal). DD actually got to work out with them earlier this week (with those girls heading up to L4 in June) and she liked the coach. I liked the coach. I watched the practice and the coach SEEMED gentler with the girls (even physically), had better body language, smiled, and got very excited when one of the team girls got a great looking mil-circle. The major down-side is they have two campuses and she's have to move even further away for L4 should she continue. But, that's over a year away.

I sort of like the idea of her competing L3 in fall so she can see if she likes it. OTOH, I am terrified of her competing in the fall. I wasn't anticipating any competition until the following year (Fall 2012 DD would compete L4 at current gym). There aren't that many meets so that would be ok, but I sort of looked forward to the extended mental preparation for it! DD thinks she's ready for it. If she doesn't seem like she'll be ready to compete or isn't learning all of the skills as anticipated, she can move down to their L2 team (which does not compete) and try L3 the following year. The coach said there's no pressure either way, but thinks DD would fit a little better with the incoming L3 team, especially as there are fewer girls and she may be able to focus on DD more (well, not just DD of course, all of them).

The focus seemed a little less on conditioning and more on routines, but I know their L3 state meet is in about 4 weeks, so makes sense I guess. The girls got more water breaks (DD currently gets 1 per 90 min class, this coach gave the girls 3 per 120 min class - this excited DD). The took turns on some of the conditioning rather than all doing it continuously at current gym. So, some performed and some watched then switched. Not sure if 'better' or not, but DD sure liked that, haha. Overall, there was a lot of smiling going on - and plenty of high-fives to go around.

Gym #3 is pretty comparable to current gym in regards to level of competitiveness. Actually the partial owner of Gym #3 is related to the owner of DD's current gym. So there is some relationship between the gyms. Makes me a little nervous for a reason I can't quite put my finger on. Eeek. But I'll make sure to leave without on amicable terms and all that, while politely and quietly mentioning our reasons for leaving to the head coach via e-mail.

We are leaning toward Gym #3. We could visit a Gym #4, but there are similar distance/timing concerns. So, for now I am waiting to hear about the summer schedule from the coach at gym #3, then will formally make a decision.

My question is whether I should tell them we're leaving now or wait? New gym's cycle starts on June 20, so we have awhile to wait. I am calling gym #3 today to see if it would be possible for DD to start working with her L2's now, or if she really should wait. We're on a 8-week cycle for payments (New cycle starts next week). Not sure what the coach will say about that. When I left Monday we decided DD would start in June, but I never asked if she could do sooner - I was processing a lot of information at the time.

If DD can't get on right away, should I tell HC our current concerns right away, or wait until around the time we leave? I don't want DD getting WORSE treatment if she's stuck another 8 weeks. And I'm not sure I want to pull her and give her 8 weeks off... or do I?

Thanks for reading, and for any further advice you may have!

It sounds like you know which gym you want to go to! Personally, I would think long and hard before commiting to a really long drive to the gym. Are you or your dd going to hate the drive after a while? Are you going to be stuck there during practices? How does it affect the rest of your family? The cost of gas is ridiculous, too, which you would need to factor into the cost if you are looking at that at all.

That said, whatever gym you choose, I would NOT tell your current gym until the last minute that you are leaving.

Certainly seems that you liked gym#3 the best. While gym#1 sounds fine, missing up to 30 minutes of practice each day isn't helpful and could end up being a problem. I have to agree with the other poster----can you see the drive working in the long term. Doing it in the summer is easy since no school and not as many activites around home that require your attention. You did say that the L4s are at a gym even further away and while thats not a problem this year, it would be tough for your dd to get started and really love the gym only to have trouble continuing due to the longer drive in 1 year. You might want to check and see if there are other families that live close to you that might be interested in carpooling.
I would not wait on telling the other gym you are leaving. I would finish out this 8 week session and leave if you have a gym to go to. Word can get back to them about dd trying other gyms---especially with the family connection between gym#3 and your current gym.

Thanks, guys!

I truly don't mind driving. Will I in the future? I suppose I could. ;) It does stink leaving the gym that is 5min from home, but staying there really isn't an option. Our options are unfortunately drive far or quit. Bummer, but DD is not ready to quit.

We are planning to move next year, and hadn't settled on a location. So, there is the potential that we may move that direction, anyway. It is close to DH's work and reasonable distance to where I am attending school (I am a returning college student!). Perhaps we'll move somewhere in between; there's a suburb we like that's a little closer that we'd been considering anyway (and I like the kids' school schedule better!).

Thanks for the tip on carpooling with other families. That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of. Once we get going there (if we decide to), I'll be sure to ask around!

I could certainly grocery shop, etc during her practices, but I don't think it would be worth it to come home - at least not yet. As I mentioned, I am a college student, so I will often take my homework with me now anyway. I suppose I'd just continue with that or find a close Panera/Starbucks/library and do it there if it's noisy (and it was - the viewing room is enclosed in glass and echo-y).

And thanks for advice on telling/not telling coach. Both are excellent points to consider. Hmmmm.

I would go for the gym you like and work around the distance issues, I think it will be worth it to get the right gym for your DD. Carpooling is a great idea. I can't get my DD to gym during the week because I'm at work and so is DH, so we are totally reliant on other mums taking our DD to the gym. I'm very grateful to them and try to help them out in other ways when I get the chance. You could also take a laptop or books to the gym with you and get some work done during her class, as you've already mentioned. I think you'll probably have to tell them she is leaving sooner rather than later, as it may get back to them if the gyms are connected. I hope it doesn't affect the coaching she will get in the time remaining. I must admit it warmed my heart to hear of all those little girls smiling in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back