Parents And Reality Sets In.............

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
DD went back to practice for the first time last night and fully came to realize how little she is able to do.

I had to walk away from the window as she cried her way through straight jumps, tuck jumps and split jumps on beam. :(

She had a two hour practice. Spent most of it on beam. At first it was ok, but when she REALLY realized that this is all she can to for now, she just began to cry.

I think it would not have been quite so bad if another girl on her team had not just gotten out of a cast. This girl had a break in her thumb and the Dr had left her fingers pretty open and she could put pressure on her fingers since it didn't affect the thumb, DD does not have this option so she is much more restricted than her teammate was. I think she thought it would be the same, that she just would not be able to do bars or ROBHS.

I talked to HC who said that DD will have a hard time just because of her personality. She and I agreed that for now DD will go 2 days instead of 3 and see how that goes.

I told her she would have the prettiest leaps, jumps and turns of any of the new L4's. Didn't help, she wants to rock bars.

Any advice?

No advice really. Thankfully my DD has not had any gymnastics injuries to recover from yet. Just wanted to send you both a ((HUG)) as I'm sure it's a very difficult time to get thru...sounds worse than the injury itself. I'm sure there will be lots of other skills she can work on now like those leaps...and probably can condition too to keep up her strength?

Healing at the gym can be very trying. I remember my DD getting so dissolusioned by the boring stuff she had to do during her no running/jumping years. She sat around a lot as there was only so much she could do.

Cutting back the hours sounds like a good plan for the few weekes she will be in a cast. It'll go fast and she'll be back in the gym in no time.

I really feel for her, reality really bites sometimes, and gym injuries are just so frustrating.

Big hugs to both of you - I totally know where you guys are at right now. My dd started getting so frustrated she started tumbling with one arm - until I put a stop to it that is. I can't tell you how my layouts she did over the vault table over the couple of months she couldn't use her wrist!!! I think you are doing the right thing reducing her hours for now - and just keep reminding her that this is only temporary - she will be rocking those bars in no time.

A big internet (((((HHUUUUGGGG))))) to your dd! Tell her we all feel for her! It's just plain tough for our bouncy, active gymmies to be less active, and hence, feel bored.

Maybe she can challenge herself/set goals for each practice. i.e. "Today I am going to work on pointing my toes on all my beam skills", etc. It might help, rather than just going in & thinking "this stinks, I'm bored", etc.

I think that her first practice back after her injury may have been a bit of a shock, and things may get better as she gets used to the idea of what she can and cannot do.

There's still lots she can work on. Leg flexibility, strength, etc. All of that really does help them to be better gymnasts! It's just more fun to work on skills, so she is of course disappointed. :eek:

So sorry! :(

Cutting back is a good idea. Besides the conditioning, flexibility and dance moves. I make those restricted be my little assistants to still feel connected and a part of things. Thanks goodness there havent been too many and this role make them feel very important. They lead warmups for their group and any other group that comes in while they are here, take attendance and time beam routines. They also play the music for routines. I also give them the compulsory book to make sure they are doing the movements correctly and can look at the pics and deductions. Talk to the coach maybe they can implement something similiar

I hope that she heals really fast. I think mine would be bored to tears as well. I agree that reducing her to 2 days might help a bit and maybe doing what gotgym suggested as well. It has to be so disappointing for her because she was so excited to finally start training for L4 and now she has to wait longer. Hugs and healing vibes to her.

Poor girl, I know this is such a hard and frustrating time. Especially with the big weekend ahead of her. I know that my DD was younger when she broke her wrist, kindergarten, and not yet competing, so she did not have that taste of competition yet. But, what we did was stop formal practices all together. She came in for an hour or two once a week to do conditioning. Her coach was great and made her feel like she was still an important part of the team. Once her cast was off, she came in more, but still just to condition and work on the range of motion in her wrist. She was preteam, what we call L4B. She was working on all her L4 skills, just not competing yet. As per doc's orders, we did not go back to full practices until 3 weeks after her cast was off. I am not sure if it was because of her age or the severity of her breaks, but they did not want her doing any activity with her arm while in a cast and even the first weeks it was out. I know that you can't believe this now, but time will fly by. It just stinks for your DD that she has done such a great job and now is missing out on her rewards. Give her big hugs from us. We will continue to wish her a speedy recovery!

I am so sorry for her (and you):(. We have not had to deal with any injuries, but I know my dd would have a very tough time with it. I think going 2 days instead of three is a good idea. I also think Gotgym's ideas are great! Wishing you and dd the best, and that time will pass quickly;)!

Cutting back is a good idea. Besides the conditioning, flexibility and dance moves. I make those restricted be my little assistants to still feel connected and a part of things. Thanks goodness there havent been too many and this role make them feel very important. They lead warmups for their group and any other group that comes in while they are here, take attendance and time beam routines. They also play the music for routines. I also give them the compulsory book to make sure they are doing the movements correctly and can look at the pics and deductions. Talk to the coach maybe they can implement something similiar

I think that is a great way to handle the situation:)! How thoughtful - I am sure your gymnasts really appreciate it, and probably deal with the whole thing on a more positive note! You ever think of moving to Oregon;)?!

Gotgym has a great idea about letting her be the coach's helper on days she is there and leading warm ups. That would make her feel part of the team and also just a little special. Yes, right now the hard reality is she can be a "beam queen" and do conditioning. She could also do some sprint drills for vault. Assure her those bars skills will come back---may take a few weeks, but she will be back up there.

Ok, I'll warn you, so you can be prepared. Most kids think the day the cast comes off means they are 100% and can go full out. Not really. There will be muscle atrophy in her arm, the wrist will be stiff and sore and she just won't have normal grip strength in her hand. Now, this will all go away with a little therapy and that word moms hate----patience! She won't be able to go back to full practices right away----make sure you get the md to discuss what she can and can't do right away. Also ask for a referral to PT. She won't need more than a few visits to get going and teach her some exercises to do at home. Yes, it will be a few extra weeks after the cast comes off, but well worth it in the long run.

In the meantime---{{{HUGS}}} to you and dd!

Thanks Gymmom,
I have had 2 daughters grow up in the gym. I believe it has helped me look at things a little differently and be a better coach for it.

Everyone here has had fantastic ideas. I especpially like the one about her being the coach's assistant. My DD just went back to full practice after breaking her collarbone August 1. It was a very hard, boring, difficult, frustrating (any other adjectives ... just insert here!) time for her. There were days that she complained that practice just wasn't any good for her anymore. But she did get through it. She definitely IS a bit behind on her skills, but since we compete the whole year at her current level, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Hang in there and she WILL get through this. She'll have the prettiest leaps and turns in her group!

-Lynn

THANKS Everyone

Thanks everyone...............

your support and ((((((hugs)))))) are much appreciated. I did have her hlep me coach my pre-school class - she did the circuit to show the what to do: tuck jumps, straddle jumps, straddle forward rolls, beam walks & stuff. Seemed to make her happy - I guess I will keep her as my assistant for the time being.

You should have seen the look when she realized she could not ride her bike either :eek:

When my dd was out with her stress fracture, she went to practice around 5 hours a week just for strength, conditioning, some strap bar work and to keep connected to the team. I know how hard it can be for them. Maybe even a calendar for her to keep marking off the days will help. Kind of like a count down.
It's nice that she can help you and get some positive feed back for what she can do. Good luck to her.

Aw, I really hope she does get better quickly so she can rock those L4 bars:) I think it is so cute that you gave her that job- I bet she really liked to show off those team skills.:D When my 10 year old was 7, she broke her metatarsal and when I told her she couldn't go out and play, it was the dirtiest look I have ever seen a little girl give.:eek:

Anyway, I am crossing my fingers that she will recovery quickly and healthy- (((((HUGS))))) and I will be sending the get well fairy down to NC!

Looks like you've been given some good advice here already(I love CB!). I don't have much to add. Just wanted to let you know, that I feel so bad for your DD:(. It must be soooo frustrating for her. Remind her gymnastics is a marathon...slow & steady...(along with strength & determination)...gets the skills. Hang in there...her day to shine is just over the horizon...she'll get there!:grouphug:Group CB hug for you & DD from your friends at CB!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back