MAG Ankle Exercises (really, hip down)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
My ds is really tight in his legs. He has tight hamstrings and calves. This is translating to pain in his ankles when he punches and lands. There is nothing wrong with his ankles.

Any exercises/stretches/ideas? His therapist is helping, but thought others might know of gymnastic specific ideas.

He is also flat footed, and tends to pronate.

THanks!

Runners deal with this a lot - tight hams and calves (and also pronation!). Pressure release therapy helped me with ham and lower calf issues in the past, as well as specifically strengthening my hamstrings. I notice male gymnasts don't often do isolated hamstring conditioning. Lots of videos out there. Not sure if your PT is already doing similar, but maybe checking out the running community could yield some new ideas?

two of my kids have flat feet. When it is hurting they use X-braces and they seem to help some. they also have to do some PT stuff at home that includes walking with a "mouse house", ie making a point to walk with their arch lifted up. Oh, and no wearing anything but shoes with good arch supports.

SO...rolling hammies and calves? We are doing that some, but he is 14..sigh. Planning some theraband stuff too....

Hamstring, calves (ouch), and also butt (with a lacrosse ball). If he has time, do quads too.

I roll while catching up on my social media on my phone or while watching TV. Maybe he can do the same?

two of my kids have flat feet. When it is hurting they use X-braces and they seem to help some. they also have to do some PT stuff at home that includes walking with a "mouse house", ie making a point to walk with their arch lifted up. Oh, and no wearing anything but shoes with good arch supports.

Would second good shoes with arch supports (even on occasion in the gym if needed) and we swear by x-braces...you can find them online and they are the best "not a shoe" arch support out there. The whole back of the leg and ankle and arch of the foot are connected, so often this all can be improved with arch support.

We just saw doctor for older sons knee issues. He noticed my son pronates, although my son's feet are not flat. He told us to get the green Superfeet inserts. Found the best price on Amazon. Still waiting for the order. I forbade flip flips and Converse and the like ages ago, but my son also needed new athletic shoes that fit better, his old ones were too lose.

Doctor also gave us a sheet with exercises for strengthening the leg muscles to help protect the knee. Every exercise emphasized to hold the working leg about 12 inches (or less for a couple) above the ground for about 6 seconds per rep. While helping my son learn them tonight, he kept saying "we do this at the gym but my leg is much higher and I hold it waaay longer." I had to get my out of shape carcass on the floor to show him why if you hold the leg too high you can hold it all day, because it is not working anything! How can a kid do gymnastics for 7 years and not know this?

Tightness makes me wonder if a different type of stretching would help. Would your son consider yoga? (I have been trying to get my boys to do yoga for years to no avail.) Or massage?

I never heard of Xbraces. This? https://www.thexbrace.com/pages/what-is-the-x-brace Can they be worn in the gym?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

He is doing more stretching and strengthening so I think that is helping. We got him some inserts for his shoes too.

I will look into the xbrace with him. He has braces he wears and likes, so he may not be willing to switch it up mid season but maybe summer...

Thanks again!!

We just saw doctor for older sons knee issues. He noticed my son pronates, although my son's feet are not flat. He told us to get the green Superfeet inserts. Found the best price on Amazon. Still waiting for the order. I forbade flip flips and Converse and the like ages ago, but my son also needed new athletic shoes that fit better, his old ones were too lose.

Doctor also gave us a sheet with exercises for strengthening the leg muscles to help protect the knee. Every exercise emphasized to hold the working leg about 12 inches (or less for a couple) above the ground for about 6 seconds per rep. While helping my son learn them tonight, he kept saying "we do this at the gym but my leg is much higher and I hold it waaay longer." I had to get my out of shape carcass on the floor to show him why if you hold the leg too high you can hold it all day, because it is not working anything! How can a kid do gymnastics for 7 years and not know this?

Tightness makes me wonder if a different type of stretching would help. Would your son consider yoga? (I have been trying to get my boys to do yoga for years to no avail.) Or massage?

I never heard of Xbraces. This? https://www.thexbrace.com/pages/what-is-the-x-brace Can they be worn in the gym?

Yes and yes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back