WAG Ankle injuries...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last summer I Broke my ankle and I was in a cast for three weeks with no crutches. It was actually just a fracture and a very bad sprain. There's a lot of info so I'm going to separate it so I don't confuse you!
BEFORE CAST:
My ankle hurt really bad one day while tumbling. I kept going because I had already found out my perineal tendon sub luxes and I thought that was what was happening. This kept up for about three weeks and I was still tumbling and everything. It hurt more each week so we went to the hospital that my mom works at to get it checked. They said I had a high ankle sprain and after reviewing the X-ray said no break but to go to an orthopedic. So I still went to the gym and did some simple things for about a week before the orthopedic.
AT THE ORTHOPEDIC:
He basically said I fractured my ankle and that the hospital missed that in the x ray, and it was also sprained badly. He gave me the choice boot or cast and the cast was three weeks so I chose that.
WORH CAST:
I got the cast and went home but I could practically flex and point my foot in the cast and he aid the swelling went down making the cast feel big on my now normal sized ankle. So I got a new cast a week later and kept that one for two more weeks.
AFTER CAST:
I got the cast off and started pt. it went well, and I graduated. And returned to gym
AT THE GYM AFTER:
this happened over the summer and now it's next spring right. So we're talking about now. I did a split jump on beam and it hurt my ankle really but we were doing pressure sets so everybody was watching and I didn't want to be a wimp so I kept going. Now it's like 3 weeks later and I can barley walk on it. So I asked my mom to go to the doctor but since I've had like 100 X-rays in the past year he didn't want anymore done and prescribed me some pt. Again.
RIGHT NOW:
Sorry this was so long but basically I know something's very wrong with my ankle. Last time it was broken and I was tumbling on it and now I hurt it again and can barley walk. My doc pressed on a spot and I said ow and he basically said nothing's wrong. I am super irritated because he wouldn't listen to me and now I have pt tomorrow. If anything that will just hurt it more. My mom asked her friend at work (she works at a hospital) and he said the pt can tell if something's not right. He said to set an orthopedic appt and we got one for Friday. I'm just wondering what you think he will say about it. Also what are some differences I would be able to tell from a ligament or tendon tear , a bad sprain and a break. Also is there any way to post a pic because that might help

Ok I know this pic makes it look worse that is. Idk why it looks that big... The discoloration is from ice bating by the way!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 102
That looks bad. No one can tell if any bones are actually fractured without an xray. Hopefully the ortho will do an xray. Not doing it and walking around on a broken ankle is worse than the tinniest amount of radiation you get even from multiple xrays.

That looks bad. No one can tell if any bones are actually fractured without an xray. Hopefully the ortho will do an xray. Not doing it and walking around on a broken ankle is worse than the tinniest amount of radiation you get even from multiple xrays.
Yeah all my pediatrician really did was poke some spots and Say to do more pt even though it looks like that! I was so annoyed!

It could be ligememts. THOSES did not show up on x-rays and can be torn multiple times if scar tissue builds back up. Some doctors recommend surgery if that happens but most people won't do the surgery on kids (I've been to 4 different guys nobody would) and if you sprain it then ligememts are in the equation and you can easily sprain it again. This is what my ankle look like after my last sprain
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1394588261.862691.jpg
you can see te swelling but my ankles are always swollen now a days sooo. And X-rays won't hurt you one but I've had soo many it's not ebeven funny and I'm not joking I would ask and see if you could get an mri

maybe you need more than an x-ray done. Maybe a MRI or a bone scan? Many fractures don't show up on x-rays, but they will on the other tests. Then like others said, it could be ligaments or something. That ankle does not look right at all.

Ask your questions to the ortho on Friday. They're far more familiar with this stuff than the pediatrician. Asking your pediatrician about stuff like this is a bit like asking your PE coach about gymnastics technique. Yeah, they're both "gym coaches", but not at all the same thing.

Hey guys so I went to the pt and she said if they don't do an X-ray and an MRI she will call them and say u need one. She seems to think I either broke it or tore a ligament. Thanks for the replies I'll keep you updated! :)

Hey guys so I went to the pt and she said if they don't do an X-ray and an MRI she will call them and say u need one. She seems to think I either broke it or tore a ligament. Thanks for the replies I'll keep you updated! :)
Thank goodness someone is willing to speak up for you! If we have diagnostic tools, we should use them!

Get an MRI. I've had and still have ankle issues and the only thing that's gotten me anywhere closer to healed is getting and MRI to see soft tissue damage (torn posterior tibial tendon what do ya know) and seeing like 5 or 6 orthopedics. Only the last one actually pinpointed what was wrong. Finding a sports ortho is also really helpful because they know what happens with sports injuries unlike other doctors. If you've had ankle issues for almost a year I'd recommend Dr. Clanton. He's a sports ankle doctor in Vail, Colorado. He's the one who finally diagnosed me after over a year.

If you feel something's wrong, keep looking for an answer. I had exams done for my right ankle during my last year as a gymnast. I also had pain in my left one, but not as bad. I had x-rays and a bone scan. At that time, everyone, including sports doctors, (except my PT) told me everything was alright. My PT made me stop gym for almost 3 months as I had pain going down the stairs. I wasn't allowed to jump or run at all. I was then able to finish the season to compete one last time. Still had to be cautious, but it was much better.

I later learned I actually had osteochondritis in my left ankle. Stopping for 3 months was actually the best thing I could do. Untreated, it can cause a lot of trouble. My doctor just never told me the results. I had a bone scan for another problem couple years ago. There is still something showing up in that ankle (either enthesitis or degenerative process.) even if I don't feel pain now. Thanks to my PT, I can go jogging, hiking, spinning without any pain.

Keep pushing for answers, so you can keep doing gymnastics, and be active once your career as a gymnast is over.

It's broken and the ligaments are torn. They said my ligaments are pretty much ruined and that next time it happens (which apparently it will in the next year) I will have to get a surgery where they will tie my ligaments in a knot to tighten them again. Well I'm done gym for four weeks, but I am still going to go for strength and kip cast handstands and probably some tramp bar. Ok I got to go my dog is having night mares and I need to go make sure she's not going to start sleep running! Oh one more thing, you will probably be happy to know my mom is switching pediatricians for me since he missed a tear and break...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back