Ankle trouble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My 7 year old DD is having some trouble with her ankle. She has twisted it twice this past year and it hurt for like a day or so and recently she has been saying that after the end of practice her ankle is sore. Iwas wondering if she start incorporating some ankle into her workout? What kind of exercise can she do for her ankle? Is there anything else she should be doing with her ankle?

I have awful ankles, I've broke them four times. My coach told me to stand at the bar with the sore foot resting in front of the other ankle, then straighten the sore leg so you're standing on your tiptoes (both legs). I did 100 a night, 5 reps of 20. It strengthens your ankle. Hope this helps :)

My 7 year old DD is having some trouble with her ankle. She has twisted it twice this past year and it hurt for like a day or so and recently she has been saying that after the end of practice her ankle is sore. Iwas wondering if she start incorporating some ankle into her workout? What kind of exercise can she do for her ankle? Is there anything else she should be doing with her ankle?

Oh do be careful wilth that ankle!!! MY DD sprained her ankle the first weekend of December and has struggled with it for the past month now! A physical therapist friend suggested icing it every day... yes, even after school AND practice. Then "tracing the lower case, cursive alphabet" with the foot several times each day to build strength back up. It seems to be working, but she just NOW toldl me that she resprained it during practice today. Great. She has a meet next weekend!!!

Ouch, I feel for your DD. I sprained my ankle years ago, and had many problems with them. My pt also suggested the alphabet exercise, as well as lots of calf raises. If you haven't already, I'd HIGHLY recommend physical therapy. Ligaments and tendons don't really heal on their own, and without some physical therapy you could end up with chronic problems.

Certainly ice it at least after practice and you might try some ibuprofen that is appropriate for her age/weight. I would get her in to see your doctor to have the ankle checked for any instability and ask for a referral to physical therapy(if your insurance requires one). A good therapist can show you specifically some exercises for her to do at home and discuss if any wrap or brace is needed. Hopefully getting her started on correct exercises and care of the ankle now, will prevent any serious injuries or pain down the line.

Tumble--Geez---I so feel for you and dd. Can you put her in some bubble wrap?

Certainly ice it at least after practice and you might try some ibuprofen that is appropriate for her age/weight. I would get her in to see your doctor to have the ankle checked for any instability and ask for a referral to physical therapy(if your insurance requires one). A good therapist can show you specifically some exercises for her to do at home and discuss if any wrap or brace is needed. Hopefully getting her started on correct exercises and care of the ankle now, will prevent any serious injuries or pain down the line.

Tumble--Geez---I so feel for you and dd. Can you put her in some bubble wrap?

Thanks GLM... I think we should all go into the bubblewrap business!!!

I know my daughter's coach would have the gymnast with an injured ankle keep their ankle taped for several weeks. Even when it feels better, she makes them tape it because she says that it is still loose, and doesn't want them to re-injury it.

Hope she heals quickly.

We do a lot of ankle mobility and prevention in our WU. Calf raises with feet together, heels together, toes together and on one foot off a beam. They walk on their heels and toes down the floor besides walking on the outside and inside of their foot.

We also practice hopping on one foot zig zagged across a line down the floor and eventually hopping on one foot for distance across the floor.

Another is to have a partner resist the gymnast extending and flexing the foot besides the aforementioned ankle circles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back