WAG Ankle Weights During Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 9 yr DD has been complaining about foot pain. Her coaches have been making her vault with her weights on. Could this be a cause of the foot pain. It seems common sense that vaulting with weights on would be counter productive.

Counterproductive is putting it lightly. Point you daughter's coach at this forum and the general consensus from nearly every coach on here that it's not only a bad idea, it could be damaging her body.
Vault is my favorite event to coach and I can see no benefit in wearing weight while vaulting. I can see it destroying the ankles and growth plate. I dare say if a coach is resorting to using ankle weight to help vault, they have no idea how vault works. Hopefully this is a new coach and they are just confused.

There have been several threads in this lately...if you search "ankle weights" you will see!

It is generally not a good idea--particularly for young athletes who have not reached puberty. The list of potential damage is long, the benefits negligible.

So, yes. This could be what is causing her foot pain. However, you should have her checked out by a doctor.

Talked to the coach and was told that USAG Junior Olympic Programs encourages the use of ankle weights. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Foot pain has stopped since she has not been using weights.

Counterproductive is putting it lightly. Point you daughter's coach at this forum and the general consensus from nearly every coach on here that it's not only a bad idea, it could be damaging her body.
Vault is my favorite event to coach and I can see no benefit in wearing weight while vaulting. I can see it destroying the ankles and growth plate. I dare say if a coach is resorting to using ankle weight to help vault, they have no idea how vault works. Hopefully this is a new coach and they are just confused.

we do use them for conditioning as well as working on some strength and form through a little extra resistance like kips, or jumps on floor, but anything that involves going upside down seems crazy!

kips and jumps must have the weights above the knees. c'mon people! geesh.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back