WAG Ankle Weights for all workouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow!! That's pretty scary! I can't imagine how upset I would be if something like that happened because of a coach training my dd improperly.... I hope they don't do that at your gym any longer (& hopefully they won't do it at mine much longer either!).

we left that gym and the coach who instituted it left too, ironically..and I was upset when it happened but the horse was already out of the barn as they say..

Not only is it a bad idea to use ankle weights that much for anyone, 5lbs is most likely too heavy for an 11 year old gymnast. I can see using them for static stretching. I'm really not for using them for jumps just due to the fact that they can tear up the ankles if they don't fit perfectly.
I can see swinging pommels maybe or some light bar work but again, 5lbs seems to be a bit much.

yikes! here we go again. bad idea.:) and they should never be worn below the knees unless they are doing static conditioning, and then it must be done under trained supervision.

5 lbs on EACH ankle?! Goodness gracious that's crazy! Especially for an entire practice. Just the thought of tumbling/vaulting/any kind of pounding with those things on makes me cringe. Definitely talk with the coach, this practice is not a productive one at all.

So I went to the head coach yesterday & explained the issue to him - he told me that he doesn't use them very often (for his level 5+'s) but it seems that the level 3 & 4 coaches really like them and even though he's told them it's not a good idea they continue to use them. He did not, however, seem to agree with me that they were a safety issue & said that he thought they only cause problems in extreme situations - hmmm :-/

I told coach (the level 4 coach) that I didn't want her to use them any more as they were causing back issues for her - the coach was NOT happy about this but agreed to let her not use them "for a while".

Luckily, it's only 8 more weeks until move-ups and then she'll be with the head coach. I do have to say that I'm a bit confused, if the head coach doesn't want the lower levels to use the weights, why doesn't he just tell them not to... he is the head coach after all!??

Stick to your guns, 8 weeks isn't long at all. Hopefully you see your dd's back pain go away. The coach needs a smack upside the head, with an ankle weight.

So I went to the head coach yesterday & explained the issue to him - he told me that he doesn't use them very often (for his level 5+'s) but it seems that the level 3 & 4 coaches really like them and even though he's told them it's not a good idea they continue to use them. He did not, however, seem to agree with me that they were a safety issue & said that he thought they only cause problems in extreme situations - hmmm :-/

I told coach (the level 4 coach) that I didn't want her to use them any more as they were causing back issues for her - the coach was NOT happy about this but agreed to let her not use them "for a while".

Luckily, it's only 8 more weeks until move-ups and then she'll be with the head coach. I do have to say that I'm a bit confused, if the head coach doesn't want the lower levels to use the weights, why doesn't he just tell them not to... he is the head coach after all!??

Mmmmm...whose running THIS asylum?:)

So I get sick for a week & while I'm gone, the coach has her wearing the weights again :-( I think I'm going to tear my hair out or something. I told DD to take them off the minute she starts tumbling or running (not sure how this will go though as dd is worried she'll make her coach mad). 6 more weeks until move-ups - hopefully she can stay injury-free.

So I get sick for a week & while I'm gone, the coach has her wearing the weights again :-( I think I'm going to tear my hair out or something. I told DD to take them off the minute she starts tumbling or running (not sure how this will go though as dd is worried she'll make her coach mad). 6 more weeks until move-ups - hopefully she can stay injury-free.

I would definitely chat with this coach again. If you have to, print out this thread! You can tell him that I am a PT and say absolutely not!!!

I just would go in and tell him it is not okay, she is not allowed and if he needs a doctors note you will give him one. He is being an idiot to say the least. Six weeks in weights can do a lot of damage.

Why are some coaches so stupid!!! If kids are getting injured coaches should be assessing the training and any changes that may be a factor in this. This ankle weight stupidity is probably reinforced because some 'high level' coach with dangerous driving had their kids running around with ankle weights in a documentary last week. Just because someone has top elite gymnasts does not mean what they are doing is safe or smart.

I'm with you Pineapple_Lump. Some coaches are too quick to implement what they've seen or read without actually looking into it. I've seen things written in published works by folks that are actually very successful coaches, that frighten me.

AND published material by folks who have NEVER coached a day in their life!

I just would go in and tell him it is not okay, she is not allowed and if he needs a doctors note you will give him one. He is being an idiot to say the least. Six weeks in weights can do a lot of damage.

Yes it can...my daughter was only in weights for a month before she got an abdominal hernia that required surgical repair...and a solid eight weeks of recovery. If your coach totally disrespects you as a parent now (as you've already told him no weights and he did it anyway) , i would head for the hills....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! I found a really good article on livestrong (Are Ankle Weights Bad For Kids? | LIVESTRONG.COM) that puts it in pretty simple terms.

Our coach (level 4) is just a college girl (not a seasoned or even trained coach) so I know she has absolutely no clue that she's actually doing them harm (even though I've talked to her about it). I'm going to send her an email today & copy the head coach and gym manager asking again that she not wear the weights for anything but static exercises (leg lifts, etc.) and include the link to the article. She's very young and I know she takes this kind of thing as me trying to tell her how to do her job, but I really need to keep my kiddo healthy and you'd think she would understand this. I'll see how it goes...

Only you can advocate for your child. We cannot always rely on coaches to take all the right precautions. Some coaches are well educated others not so much.

I'm going to send her an email today & copy the head coach and gym manager asking again that she not wear the weights for anything but static exercises (leg lifts, etc.) and include the link to the article.

She really shouldn't even do it for leg lifts, but that's better than tumbling with it. I usually wouldn't advise a parent to "interfere" in this way, but it is a safety issue and your daughter is already having some problems. Besides, the coach should not be intimidating her into wearing them after you have already advised her of your daughter's problems and requested that she not wear weights. If it was something that could be justified, then the coach could have justified it to you then. Since it can't be justified she just put the blame on you. Obviously the coach is embarassed to be questioned like this, but your daughter's safety is still your priority and the coach has to realize this at some point...so unfortunately there is no way around "calling out" the coach. In my opinion the problem is largely created by the HC who knows better not using the leadership position to make sure the people he is supposed to be supervising are using safe and effective practices. Unfortunately the lack of leadership has put you in this position.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back