Parents Ankle weights?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaloss

Proud Parent
I just got an email from my daughter's coach that she wants everyone to bring tennis shoes and ankle weights for summer conditioning. They want to take the girls on runs when the weather allows to help increase their endurance for next season (longer floor and bar routines). Dd is 6 and just finished level 3. Her coach suggested 2lb weights for the little girls. What would work well? I did a quick browse online and most I found started at 5lbs. Dd only weighs 42lbs, and 5 is too much! Suggestions please! (And no, I don't believe they will be running with weights on, I think it's for in the gym only)

waste of money and they cause body problems especially to the back. weighted vests are what knowledgeable coaches use.

oh, and running DOES NOT increase their endurance for floor. floor is anaerobic. running is aerobic. running actually impacts the anaerobic energy system that is needed for floor routines.

now, if they are going to run bleachers or stairs, or ladder drills, and for 2 minutes, well then you are doing something beneficial for the "cardio" needed for floor exercise.

running, and running for long distance is good for losing weight. but it also is not good for their joints and back. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
tell them to read Bompa's, Sand's or George's books. they can be found online. :)

don't know how to do it without bruising egos. and if your gym has anyone dismounting with a double back i would be SHOCKED. :)

We have two members of the JO national team...I'll have to look at those books as well. I'll bring them up to dd's coach :) thanks!

Now I have to go look :) I know they do double backs...just not sure if they end with them...several girls do double-back fly away things off of bars (I don't speak the language )

So, I went and looked and of the two JO national team members, one seems to be a twister and one is a flipper. The younger girl does 3 variations of a double back in her floor routine and the older doesn't do any.

I let my daughter use wrist weights (so that she wont be the only one without them). I wont let her use anything heavier than 2 lbs. They only use them for conditioning....leg lifts...etc.

No one little uses them. My daughter is the lower limit of weight wearing kids. She is 9 and weighs 50lbs. I cant imagine a 6 yo wearing ANY weight! Can you make fake ones??LOL

Last edited:
That's what I was just thinking. Maybe I can de-stuff them and fill them with dry beans or something light :)

I do love our gym and trust the coaches but I don't want to add extra wear and tear on my daughters tiny joints.

I just reread the email, 2lbs for the I itty bitty girls and 4-5 for the big girls. The big girls are 10-12.

no. therabands attached to both ankles.

Our coaches do both. One coach, owner, uses bands but other coach, experienced especially in dance/floor/beam has the girls do split leaps on the tramp with light ankle weights.

I never thought that it would make a difference given how light a 1 pound ankle weight is on these strong little girls. Thanks!

Dunno...I just reread one of your comments. I am going to talk to the coach tonight. It makes perfect sense that bleacher/stairs/sprints would build up the right kind of endurance for floor. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back