WAG Ankle weights

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In my DD's gym, they just use them for strength (rope climbs, corn on the cobs, etc). From what I read, it seems like this may potentially be an acceptable use of them, depending on gymnast form, etc, correct?

My daughters gym uses them to. I got my daughter the lightest weights I could find. 1 lbs. she is tiny. They used them on leaps, jumps, and leg lifts.

Our gym also uses them pretty regularly for leaps/jumps on tramp, as well as on beam... hmm..

The tops girls use them for rope climb and leg lifts (which seem fine), but also for cast handstands... hmm..

Edited: to train cast handstands - they cast up to around 45-60 degrees with the weights on, but I don't think actually reach handstand in the weights...

DD gym uses them for kicks, lifts and conditioning. She says they use them for back tucks too. She said NO for leaps and jumps.
The 'fast track' girls are always wearing them......even for bars!
At the two different gyms I have been at I have seen VERY different uses and it is obvious that the coaches have very different strong opinions for ALL their uses......
If ankle weights are bad, then USAG needs to say so and discourage the use.

Dunno; Thanks for the link. Well written article. I will make copies for the coaches in the gym. Following the links provides other good info (EG: Weight resistance training).

Thanks, SBG -

YES. Our gym uses them too. And now I have this information and it's not like I can walk into the gym and be like, "Here. You are doing it wrong.":confused: As much as I would like to.

Well I would probably say that I was not okay with my child training with weights based on current medical information.

If you really know something could harm your child would you really allow it to continue?

Parents can force change too.

My DD's old gym had their girls do strap giants with weights. What do you think of that?

My DD's current gym puts weights around their bellies once a week.

Reactions: sce
YES. Our gym uses them too. And now I have this information and it's not like I can walk into the gym and be like, "Here. You are doing it wrong.":confused: As much as I would like to.
THIS!!! Even though parents can help make changes, it is a delicate balance. I can say I don't want my child doing it, but I also don't want to start the third world war. Luckily they don't use them for leaps and jumps at least...

Well I would probably say that I was not okay with my child training with weights based on current medical information.

If you really know something could harm your child would you really allow it to continue?

Parents can force change too.

I mentioned this at the gym when my dd was dealing with an ankle injury. At first i was met with resistance, but i think the coaches must have done a little research because lately i see the little pre comps doing all their running and tramp conditioning with their ankle weights tied around their waists.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back