Parents Another Booster Club Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymJudgeMom

Proud Parent
Judge
It seems as though most 501(c)(3) non-profit Booster Clubs out there are using fundraising to benefit only the families who are members of the Booster Club. Meaning, you earn points by volunteering, which translates into dollars in your daughters individual account to cover her portion of coaches travel expenses. If you choose to NOT become a member of the Booster Club, you do not share in the fundraising profits.

This goes against everything I've read about 501(c)(3) non-profit regulations. It is my understanding in having this non-profit status, you are basically considered a charity - a foundation created to promote the public good, not for assistance to any particular individuals.

The Club does not have to offer grants equally to all athletes. The Booster Club may pay coaches fees for some and not others. But the key here is you cannot NOT offer "grants" to athletes based on their parents lack of involvement in the Club - or even their lack of membership in the Club. (As you cannot force the parents to be members of the club.)

Our club is also 501(c)(3) non-profit. And we too have the parents who shoulder the bulk of the workload, as well as the slacker parents who participate minimally when begged to do so, if they choose to participate at all. This of course creates great tensions within the Booster Club. However, due to the restrictions placed on us by having this non-profit status, we don't see any way around it.

So how is it that all of the 501(c)(3) non-profit Booster Clubs out there are getting away with using these points systems where the fundraising profits only benefit the participants in the fundraiser, who are members of the club? I'm all for such a points system, but then again, I'm one of the parents that is happy to devote my time to the group. If I were a slacker parent who has been sitting back reaping the benefits without lifting a finger, I would then have a problem with implementation of such a system.

Any suggestions or info on how the other non-profit clubs are getting around this problem would be greatly appreciated!

I, too, would like to know the answer to this question. Our booster club distributes the "profits" equally, regardless of which parents actually do the work.

Our last gym, however, somehow uses a "percentage of dollars earned" and then that translates into how much is "owed" to the club. I am soooo totally confused as to how they can do this!

Can anyone out there answer this?

Thanks!

-Lynn

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back