MAG Another grips question: Reisport or English Bulldog?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

samsmama

Proud Parent
I searched the archives, I promise! But I didn't see exactly what I am looking for. DS needs high bar and rings grips. His coach is OK with either of these brands, so the question is mainly the fit. DS has little hands (5.5") so would need the 00 Reisport (which is recommended for up to 6") or the 0 EB with a range of 5.25-6.25".

Does anyone's son have a preference between those brands? Does one seem like it would provide a better fit than the other?

D has used reisport for years and liked them. English bulldogs are a little thicker and will take longer to adjust to. Reisports do seem to last not as long now that he is bigger but were great when he was small. He started in a 00 also

If I may throw a third brand into consideration...

Our coach likes these for the littler guys. They seem to be good for narrower hands, and pretty quick to break in. http://deitchgrips.com/detail.php?item=6

You'll have to call them to figure out sizing, but they are quite helpful and friendly.

If you look at my avatar pic you will notice that my DS has grips for little guys which only have 2 finger holes. He uses the same grips for HB and rings. The coach says any other grips are just too big for little guys.

This may sound kind of crazy, but my son is actually in uneven bars grips for both right now. I think this summer is when he will transition to men's high bar and rings grips. The theory is that the girls' grips (Gibson Just Right) are better for small hands. His coach says that until they are really swinging on rings, the bigger dowel just gets in their way.

Thanks. I went with the Reisport 00. I appreciate the recommendations for other options, but I don't really want to go against the coach's request on brand. We'll see how they fit, I made sure I can exchange them if we need to.

Reactions: sce
My son uses reisport for rings and recently changed to reichelsport for high bar and loves them. He also has small hands.

Our coach likes Reisport and a couple other brands but personally uses Reisport, so that's what ds wanted.

Just a quick follow up in case it's helpful in the future (or am I the only one who's always searching old threads?)... The Reisport 00s are working out great! The leather is so soft that it only took a practice or two to break them in and he adapted to them quickly. The bigger dowel doesn't seem to be causing any issues, in the last week since using the new grips, he's mastered his flyaway on rings and got his first giants on high bar.

That's awesome! We loved the Reisports when D was smaller too :) and yay on the flyway and giants :) So exciting!

guess who needs rings grips now?? Ugh.

My DS has been in Reisports from age 8 - he has 3 types - rings, high bar and wrist protectors which he wears on floor and pommel. He had no trouble adjusting to these, and they have been going strong for 2 years.

My DS has been in Reisports from age 8 - he has 3 types - rings, high bar and wrist protectors which he wears on floor and pommel. He had no trouble adjusting to these, and they have been going strong for 2 years.

D loved his, and we might stsick with them for rings. Not 100% sure. His last 2 pairs have only lasted about 7-8 months. not sure why, but assuming size and weight..... We will see if the next ones last longer.

I just saw those wrist protectors for the first time today, they look really cool! DS uses Skids for floor and pommel, but I'll keep those Reisport ones in mind if we need to replace them someday.

DS's coach chooses, sizes and orders his, and I just pay. I am really grateful for this and kind of surprised that other coaches don't do this - surely they have the best knowledge of the gymnast and what will suit them and how to size? I wouldn't have a clue and would probably end up buying the wrong sort or wrong size. I don't know where he gets them from though.

Our gym orders them through Gibson. you can go through the gymm, but I have found we get them quicker if I order them on my own. I pay for shipping, but D gets them much faster (2 months for gym, 3 days for home). Coach does tell us what to order, and what size ,but we are free to order them ourselves.

I can see that if it takes a while it would be easier to order your own, although it sounds like some people are paying exorbitant shipping fees - I assume the gym gets a discount as they order in bulk. From some of the threads though it sounds like some people are left completely to their own devices. Are the sizes strictly the same across brands or do they vary like leotards do?

Oh they vary. d is a 1 in reisport and 2 in reichelsport (hambuchen).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back