Another job decision- opinions wanted

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A while back I posted about a YMCA job I was considering. I decided not to take it, and to stay at the gym I'm at. But I also was told by another owner that he is ready for me to start taking over his gym (finally!- we've been discussing it for a while). I just found out that another coach took the position at the Y. She's really good, actually a better coach than me, and she will do wonders for that program. I talked with her tonight and she wants to turn the Y into a USAG program when the routines switch over. I'm worried about the competition between gyms. She said she's already gotten a lot of calls from parents wanting to switch, plus the Y is a brand new facility with lower cost. How can I compete with that? So now I have to decide if I should take the owner up on his offer to take over his gym, and compete with the Y. Or stay where I am (and currently happy), but there is not much chance to move up (there is already a program director and a coach who has been there 15+ years, so the most I could get is level 4/5s. HELP!!!!

I think it depends on what you are looking in your career. I mean if you want to train the higher levels and you are not going to get that then maybe you need to look elsewhere but I think only you will know what you are looking for.

Does the Y have a dedicated gymnastics facility? Will they be able to offer the same hours and equipment as the private gym? my daughter started out at the Y. Level 3 and 4 she could keep up with the other teams at the USAG meets, started struggling a bit more at level 5... And then we left for a private gym. For many reasons, but one of them was that I didn't think it was fair to my daughter to have her competing against girls that practiced 2x the hours and had good equipment (like a spring floor... We didn't have one of those). If the team had only competed at Y meets or if they just automatically shifted to prep-op after level 5, we may have stuck it out longer, because our girls would have continued to be competitive at meets. Or we may not have. The girls that were level 5's with my DD last year are really struggling with level 6 (barely anything over a 30AA). Anyway, my point is, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you compare the gyms. Will parents really be getting the same gymnastics experience for less money? If so, then maybe you're right to be concerned.

IMO, they will be getting the same experience because of the coach who took over. What might be different is the hours. Right now they are the same, but I'd like to try to build a competitive program, which means working out more hours. What I'm leaning toward, I think, is taking over his team program (his idea), and seeing how that goes before deciding whether to buy the whole gym. That way, it is just a job. I can work with the kids I do have, and not have to be the one worrying about who is leaving or how to build the business.

It sounds like you're worried that this Y team is really good and might beat you. ;) I was a Y team coach in New England for a long time and we competed USAG. Really, it depends on what the coach is going to do with the program, her experience, and the competition in the area. Is it that the other Ys in the area really aren't that competitive against this Y team so they need more competition to improve? We started out competing mainly Y meets but started going to more USAG meets because we always won at the state and regional level against Y programs. That said, I think it's important to look at your long-term career goals in the sport, the work atmosphere at that Y, the staff turnaround, their facility, and the surrounding competition. Good luck!

Based on your posting, sounds like you are not sure about taking over the business. Do you have a good understanding of the whole operation of the gym business? You might have been coaching for a long time, but coaching and running the whole business operation are not not exactly the same. There are a lot more in the business side. I am not expert in running a gym as a business and do not intend to either. To me if I have any hesitation about running a business I would not do it. No matter what your position is there is always competitions. Be it be coaching or running the gym. it is part of life and it is what make us better and drive us to improve whatever we have. Good luck in your decision.

You're right, I'm not sure about taking over the business. But I have a good relationship with the current owner, have worked for him in the past, and we both want to do a slow transition. Like I said, I'll start by taking over the team program and see how that goes. I guess that will give me some time to see how the Y program does, and how much business it takes away.

Y programs often require athletes to be Y members, something which prevents some families from joining. Growing up there were 2 Y programs within reasonable driving distance and they were essentially non-options for my family because we just couldn't justify the expense of a membership which would never be used. So I think for that reason private clubs always have some type of draw for some families.
I think you have a good plan in place as far as taking over the team, seeing how that goes, and working from there. Good luck!

Really you can't worry about what is going on at the Y. You are a coach and have a great oportunity to run a program - you can make that program what you want it to be. Being a "better" coach is subjective and will change based on what works for each gymnast. I've seen coaches that are supposed to be "better" but their style just wouldn't work for my Daughter at all and I would never choose that coach. Parents will choose the gym and coach based on what will make their children thrive.

If your current gym thinks you can handle running the program then they see you as a good coach too - don't sell yourself short you must have some great qualities for the owners to offer you that oportunity.

What is your goal for gymnastic career? To be the assistant to a team that may or may not do well or to be the boss in charge.

Only you can decide what is best for you but if it were me I would stick with the program that I can mold and run. but that is me

My goal is to run the gym. The whole gym. But I will be extremely happy running team for quite a while.

Well then it looks like where you are meet your ambitions better. Again don't worry about the other gyms and just ask yourself is your program what you want it to be? If it is then who cares what is happening at the Y

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back