Another newbie here

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ginnymac

Parent/Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Hi, I have been lurking for a while and just posted my first question on the music sticky....

I am a former gymnast, now pediatric physical therapist. I have 2 kids, one DD 8 who competes AAU at the Jr. Novice level (approx. level 5/6 by USAG standards.)

I coached preschool through level 7 for 12 years. I took some time off from gymnastics and now consult with my DD's team and otherwise "help out" 1-2 evenings per week as my schedule allows.

The gym switched to AAU 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. It has been a lot less intense and allows the girls to have plenty of time to enjoy other activities as well. Families looking for a more intense level of gymnastics have other gym choices nearby! The philosophy of the gym is that the girls can benefit from all the positives of gymnastics and other sports/activities, too.

My DD and I love gymnastics!!:)

Hello and welcome to the CB. You will be in good company, as far as people loving gymnastics go! :)

Welcome !!! There have been plenty of times I have wished there was a less competitive competition option near us. We have usag or rec and that is it. I have an 11 yo L7. I'm sure a few of us will be asking for some advice from you being a pediatric physical therapist :D

Hi and welcome to Chalk Bucket. I'm new here too. I'm studying to be a physiotherapist? Just wondering whether your background in gymnastics had any influence on your decision to become a physio?:)

Hi and welcome to CB! I like the screen name idea LOL. I have twin level 5s, Leah and Lexi. They are 7 turning 8 soon:). You will love it here. A great website for parents, gymnasts, and coaches!

Hi to you, as well.

Actually, when I was a child, my grandfather had a few strokes and had therapists come to his home to help him learn to walk again. I often observed his sessions and always remembered how they had helped him.

Then, when I was in high school, I injured my back during a volleyball practice. I was put in traction and missed 5 weeks of my senior year of high school. I had lots of therapy then.

So, while in college, I decided to major in Physical Education/pre Physical Therapy. This gave me a choice whether to teach or continue onto graduate level study for PT. I decided to go the PT route.

Most of my work has been with young children, birth to 10. I really like the little ones. I mostly work with children with developmental delays.

I know what you mean about spending time in physio. Funnily enough, I never wanted to treat people like me;). I'm a terrible patient. Through coaching, I've worked with quite a few kids with disabilities and I finally decided that I could do more. My aim is to work in paediatrics, but it's quite competitive in NZ from what I've heard. Thanks for the response. I find it interesting finding out how other physios ended up where they did.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back