another newbie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
Hi. I'm new here. I had seen the link on leotardcrazy before, but never clicked it. I do occassionally post on some other boards as Zoommom. When I registered on those boards, just my dd "Z" was a gymnast. Now my 7-year old ds "J" is into gymnatics too. He hasn't competed yet, but will probably start next year. I figured I should create a new name that reflected both my gymnasts. :)

Hi there. My dd is almost seven(3 weeks) and will be competing this year. My ds is 5 and this summer will start his 3rd year as a gymnast. Welcome. It is nice to have some parents of boys here.

Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

Medic--I'm glad there's another parent of a male gymnast too. I competed in gymnastics as a kid and am a big fan of WAG, but I really don't know as much about men's gymnastics at all. We've introduced quite a few sports to my ds, but so far gymnastics is the only one that's stuck. So, I'm thinking we may be in it for the long haul and I better start learning more about the USAG boys' program and MAG in general.

Welcome aboard ZJmom! How old is the female gymnast in the family and is she competing yet? We seem to have a wide range of experience here from pre-team to optional.

Welcome, ZJ's Mom! I haven't a clue about boy's stuff, but would love to hear all about both of your kids. What part of the country are you in?

Kathleen

Blake's mum---From what I've been able to tell(mainly on this board), the US and Aussie levels are not at all the same.

For girls in the US, Levels 1-6 are considered compulsory. Everyone does the same routines--beam, bars. floor and vault and uses the same music at each level. Levels 1-3 are rarely competed though. Most girls start their competitive career at Level 4 or 5. The optional levels are 7-10.

I'm sure one of our male coaches who post here often can fill in the basics on the boy's program.

Blake's mum---From what I've been able to tell(mainly on this board), the US and Aussie levels are not at all the same.

For girls in the US, Levels 1-6 are considered compulsory. Everyone does the same routines--beam, bars. floor and vault and uses the same music at each level. Levels 1-3 are rarely competed though. Most girls start their competitive career at Level 4 or 5. The optional levels are 7-10.

I believe levels 1-3 are not oficially sanctioned by USAG at all. I could be wrong about that, though.

I'm sure one of our male coaches who post here often can fill in the basics on the boy's program.

Boys levels go 4 through 10. 4-7 is compulsories,w here everybody does the same routines (though there are in some cases specefied bonuses, where you can slightly alter the routine for a few tenths bonus). Levels 8-10 are optionals.

Welcome aboard ZJmom! How old is the female gymnast in the family and is she competing yet? We seem to have a wide range of experience here from pre-team to optional.

Dd is 9. She's been on team for two years. She was level 5 this year and competed level 4 last year. She's gungho to do 6 next year. They only did one meet this year though. The coach has a lot going on in her life and things at the gym have been sort of uncertain/unstable lately. I think another season of level 5 may be in order, but it probably depends on how things shake out at the gym. If there's more consistency in the gym, she probably wouldn't have too much trouble getting the level 6 skills over the summer. She does the bwo on low beam herself and the front somi on floor. The back tuck she's only done on tumble trak. I don't think they've worked the clear hip circle at all.

Welcome ZJ'sMom

My ds, 13, also does gymnastics Level 6, but we don't have a boys compulsory team. The coach who works with them is also the Mason Dixon coach and doesn't have the time to do both as compulsory. We have 4 boys ready for competition but no coach to take them.:(

But with that being said, welcome!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back