WAG Another Question about Ankle Weights

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just one last thing, some shoes weigh as much as weights, that being said, I wonder if there is just as big of a controversy with cheerleaders kicking and tumbling with shoes on? just curious if anyone does cheer and may know this. or skiers and ski boots and skis,,,

Coachp, you had me with the "let's all do your own research and come to our own conclusions and respect each others opion" argument. Because it is an issue on which reasonable people may disagree. But you lost me on the "cheerleaders and skiers where shoes that weigh as much as ankle weights" argument. Yes, cheerleader and skiers were shoes, as do basketball players and long distance runners and soccer players and just normal humans walking around every day. They wear shoes because the benefits of wearing shoes(shock absorption, arch support, ankle support, increased traction, protecting the feet from steppin' on sharp or cold stuff), all of these benefits far out way the negative of having to lug around the extra shoe weight. I think most coaches that don't approve of the use of ankle weights would argue that the benefits do not outweigh the negatives, so they are not worth using.

They wear shoes because the benefits of wearing shoes(shock absorption, arch support, ankle support, increased traction, protecting the feet from steppin' on sharp or cold stuff), all of these benefits far out way the negative of having to lug around the extra shoe weight.

Really???

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7280/full/nature08723.html

http://www.mattmetzgar.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/barefootwalking.pdf

Heel-toe? Or Toe-Heel? | Society for Barefoot Living

EDIT: http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfrossi2.htm

http://www.americaspodiatrist.com/2...harms-our-feet-–-and-what-we-can-do-about-it/

Coachp, you had me with the "let's all do your own research and come to our own conclusions and respect each others opion" argument. Because it is an issue on which reasonable people may disagree. But you lost me on the "cheerleaders and skiers where shoes that weigh as much as ankle weights" argument. Yes, cheerleader and skiers were shoes, as do basketball players and long distance runners and soccer players and just normal humans walking around every day. They wear shoes because the benefits of wearing shoes(shock absorption, arch support, ankle support, increased traction, protecting the feet from steppin' on sharp or cold stuff), all of these benefits far out way the negative of having to lug around the extra shoe weight. I think most coaches that don't approve of the use of ankle weights would argue that the benefits do not outweigh the negatives, so they are not worth using.
==

It was a serious question about a group of athletes that do flipping with shoes or boots....

using ankle weights for all the things that i have seen them used for in gymnastics cause more harm than good. AND, they cause unnecessary and back problems and injuries. i'm old and i know. and until the Russians, Chinese and Romanians use them then i'm standing pat. weight vests work BETTER and places the load where it belongs...from the waist up. :)

I'm just a parent, but I've done a lot of research on this topic because I was concerned about how our former coach was using ankle weights. I have nothing against using them how they were meant to be used - static exercises to add a little more resistance. I do have a problem with how our former coaches were using them. Everything I've read indicates that kids running (both inside and outside), tumbling, vaulting and swinging bars with ankle weights puts extra stress on growth plates and backs. After years of using the weights so extensively, my daughter is dealing with some serious back pain. Luckily, it's all muscular and there are no structural injuries, so she's in therapy to correct the damage. However, both her PT and chiropractor believe the pain is related to the extensive use of the weights as she was growing. Again, this is just my experience, but I cringe to think this coach is still using the weights at her new facility in the same way with kids as young as six years old.

Sent from my MB855 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this and I hope she is improving. Glad there was no structural injuries. I agree so much with everything the last few posters have said.
Thanks Dunno just what I think.

What we really need here on ChalkBucket is a thread that details exercises that ankle weights can be used for safely. It should also detail the technique and form that should be looked for in each exercise before weight is added. Also...what adding the weight will achieve.

We have had some great experiences with ankle weights...but these experiences have nothing to do with running or tumbling or vaulting or swinging with weights on. All of the exercises that we have used ankle weights for are just basic core strength exercises.

Ankle weights really are very limited...but when used within their limit...they can help.

There is actually some good info on Wikipedia about ankle weights...

Weighted clothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What we really need here on ChalkBucket is a thread that details exercises that ankle weights can be used for safely. It should also detail the technique and form that should be looked for in each exercise before weight is added. Also...what adding the weight will achieve.

We have had some great experiences with ankle weights...but these experiences have nothing to do with running or tumbling or vaulting or swinging with weights on. All of the exercises that we have used ankle weights for are just basic core strength exercises.

Ankle weights really are very limited...but when used within their limit...they can help.

There is actually some good info on Wikipedia about ankle weights...

Weighted clothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
==
that would be awesome, except..... there are some who would argue against everything. But yea, vaulting, running, swinging and tumbling with weights on? these are the people who give ankle weights a bad rap.
So I will start with some very safe conditioning that we do with weights on.
1) Pull ups
2) Dips
3) Casting from a support, (sets of 10 with or without a bar pad).
4) Pressing
5) Handstand shoulder shrugs against a wall (belly)
6) Donkey kicks (laying belly down on the vault or pommel horse)
7) Hollow body holds (done correctly with kids who are actually strong enough to hold a regular hold, lower back flat on the floor, hips curled under)
8) From a hang on bars, (no swinging) arch hold (5 seconds), to hollow hold (5 seconds).

your turn. :)

Just to clarify before I start...we do not use weights at all in our compulsory program. The youngest optional that we use weights on right now is 12 years old.

Many years ago we had a coach using ankle weights for much more...standing back tucks...rebounding...regular event work...etc. This was before my time...that group was reported to be very strong...but consistently injured.

==========================================

We currently use ankle weights for some controlled dance technique work...very similar to the video in the first post of this thread.

Also...

Leg lifts and reverse leg lifts (reverse hypers)
Lots of variations on core exercises (hollow, arch, BBQ rolls, crunches, etc.)
Sometimes the inflexible kids will use them for middle split gravity stretches (this one was Dr. recommended)

We used to use ankle weights for pull-ups...dips...etc...now we use some basic weight belts...we will be upgrading to vests soon.

Our casting strength work is all spotted. We do spotted slow motion casting a couple of turns a couple times per week to focus on the up and down planche motion.

EDIT: We also do swing handstands on p-bars for casting.

Last edited:
==
that would be awesome, except..... there are some who would argue against everything. But yea, vaulting, running, swinging and tumbling with weights on? these are the people who give ankle weights a bad rap.
So I will start with some very safe conditioning that we do with weights on.
1) Pull ups
2) Dips
3) Casting from a support, (sets of 10 with or without a bar pad).
4) Pressing
5) Handstand shoulder shrugs against a wall (belly)
6) Donkey kicks (laying belly down on the vault or pommel horse)
7) Hollow body holds (done correctly with kids who are actually strong enough to hold a regular hold, lower back flat on the floor, hips curled under)
8) From a hang on bars, (no swinging) arch hold (5 seconds), to hollow hold (5 seconds).

your turn. :)

#3- no................

I don't really see the point of using ankle weights for any those, to be completely honest. Some border on unsafe particularly for younger kids but I honestly don't see the point. There are more beneficial exercises for general conditioning. I only use ankle weights for point and flex exercises with the kids sitting. Anything else is almost universally better done by adding band resistance, in my opinion, or using a more comprehensive exercise.

I have seen ankle weight used by joining 2 together and using round the waist for press handstands. I thought that was a good idea.

I was just reading the USAG suggested drills and beam complexes for the new routines and they list leg kicks with ankle weights while holding the beam for support for L3 (or maybe L2, I can't remember).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back