Parents Another reason to listen to your Mother!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A while ago Beetle needed new grips. I thought I would be the smart one and buy her 2 pairs of grips.. I told her to break them BOTH in.. you never know when you might need the other pair. Pretty good thinking, eh?

Well, I dont know about your DD's but Beetle is emotionally attached to her grips, I swear she thinks they have magical powers sometimes. I keep asking her if she has broken in her second set? She doesnt ever REALLY give me an answer, I remind her again and again.. you never know when you might need the other pair.

Well I picked her up from practice yesterday.. and she comes stomping over to me with fire in her eyes and hands her grips to me then with her hands on her hips she says "LOOK!! LOOK, they have a RIP In them"

OH MYLANTA.. Stop the world.. A grip has a rip.. Good thing she has that extra set ALLL Broken in right??? WRONG... Not broken in.. KIND OF Broken in..

I just shake my head and say.. well.. You should have listened to be for the past year and a half and found the time to break in those grips....

So - a reminder to all of you whose DD's have THE Pair of grips. you know the ones that make the pirouette, Make the giants.. Make the Clear hip! Find another pair! LOL..

Oh and if anyone has a grip break-in fairy.. can you send her to MN?? We need her fast!

Poor thing. I can see how the grips are a part of them. Even though we know what they "SHOULD" do, it is hard to start that breakin pd and begin that emotional bond with something that is just not needed in their eyes. I do hope she get the back up pair to where she needs them.

Paige says she has about 14 practices before the 1st meet no problem. Oh by the way I think i will be buying a new pari of grips for Paige soon. LOL We have always bought English Bull dogs what does Beetle wear? Paige feell sad for her she says it will be ok. Oh yeah we need the bar fairy!! have a happy Thanksgiving my friends! Hey i thought i saw you on TV during th Mn Gopher game.:rolleyes:

Chloe likes to break her grips in by wearing one old and one new. She had the same thing happen but during season and actually competed in two entirely different grips (even different brands). If the other one is "ripless" maybe she could try that. Chloe thinks that Shannon Miller used to break them in this way.

I have seen lots of pictures of Beth Tweddle wearing 2 completely different grips.

We have always bought English Bull dogs what does Beetle wear? Paige feell sad for her she says it will be ok. Oh yeah we need the bar fairy!! have a happy Thanksgiving my friends! Hey i thought i saw you on TV during th Mn Gopher game.:rolleyes:

Hay uses the Reisport, this particular pair had Annia & Alan Hatch's autographs on the inside wrist.. (Hence the magical powers!!)

We WERE at the Gopher/IA game but halfway up the upper deck. It was great fun for us Iowa fans.. not so much for the Gopher Fans. LOL

We will clone the bar fairy and send her down your way!, Hayden is hitting a couple pirouettes each day but not in every routine.. Lets hope that she does them in competition!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!!

Chloe likes to break her grips in by wearing one old and one new. She had the same thing happen but during season and actually competed in two entirely different grips (even different brands). If the other one is "ripless" maybe she could try that. Chloe thinks that Shannon Miller used to break them in this way.

GREAT IDEA!! I will let Beetle Know!

My gymmie seems to have no attachment to her grips---of course no autographs on them either!! We were coming up on 1 yr with the same grips and I asked her if she needed new ones. Said yup better get a new pair since she noticed the current ones were starting to stretch out. If the girls are breaking in new grips, the coaches will let them stay after practice or go to a bar if they complete assignments early and work on the break in. My gymmie uses a Ten-0 grip that is a little softer and break in takes her 1-2 practices max.

A girl on gymmie's team was using incredibly old grips. Mom was at a meet with her and saw the same brand for sale. Bought a nice new pair and we can all guess where they sat for about 5 mos-----in her locker at the gym!! Finally the coach went over and pulled them out and told her to start breaking them in because the coach was going to throw the old ones away.

Beetle---here comes the "break in fast and listen to your mom" fairies!!!!!

Ha!! I told DD1 and DD2 the EXACT same thing! When I was reading your post I was laughing- DD1 listened and broke both in, something happened to the buckle of DD1's and she just put on a new pair. DD2, didn't break them in at all and just left them in her bag. I forgot what happened to hers, but her coach made her climb the rope 5 times because she didn't have working grips.

I will send her the "I told you so" fairy and the "break in grips fast"

Just kidding about the first fairy, but I really hope she breaks them in (and listens to you the next time!!)

Good luck to her:)

My dd wasn't like that as much with her grips as she was with leos. If she got a new skill or had a really good practice - that must me the lucky leo and she would want to wear it all the time. One time she had on a brand new leo and she took a really nasty fall on her neck (urgent care visit and all). Well after that she was convinced that this leo was cursed and she refused to wear it. That wasn't cool with me since I just shelled out money for this thing - so a friend at the gym had a neighbor really into feng-shui and some other stuff. She did a whole bunch of purifying rituals and good luck things to the leo - that was the only way my dd was willing to wear it again :cool: Maybe you can convince your dd that if both pairs of grips share the same grip bag the luck will rub off on the new ones ???

Flippy - Great story!

Thanks everyone for the break in fairies...

I just have to shake my head - Beetle has it all figured out she is borrowing a teammates grips until hers are broken in..

What I see happening is her STILL Not breaking in the grips.. I swear..if she doesnt break them in I will ban her from her cell phone or IPod.. LOL

Flippy - Great story!

Thanks everyone for the break in fairies...

I just have to shake my head - Beetle has it all figured out she is borrowing a teammates grips until hers are broken in..

What I see happening is her STILL Not breaking in the grips.. I swear..if she doesnt break them in I will ban her from her cell phone or IPod.. LOL

Call me crazy but isn't it hard to break in grips you are not wearing :confused:

My dd wasn't like that as much with her grips as she was with leos. If she got a new skill or had a really good practice - that must me the lucky leo and she would want to wear it all the time. One time she had on a brand new leo and she took a really nasty fall on her neck (urgent care visit and all). Well after that she was convinced that this leo was cursed and she refused to wear it. That wasn't cool with me since I just shelled out money for this thing - so a friend at the gym had a neighbor really into feng-shui and some other stuff. She did a whole bunch of purifying rituals and good luck things to the leo - that was the only way my dd was willing to wear it again :cool: Maybe you can convince your dd that if both pairs of grips share the same grip bag the luck will rub off on the new ones ???

That's a pretty cool neighbor you have! My DD1 also has that "lucky and cursed" leos. When she wore her lucky one, she actually got her giants on bars. When she wore the cursed, she fell on her switch leap. Haven't seen her wear that leo since..:confused:

That is what I thought, but apparently Beetle thinks differently.. We will see what happens!

Of course you do realize that with the age she is at she knows better than you no matter how much sense you make :rolleyes:

I brought Beetle up to the gym today on her day off for the sole purpose to break in her grips.

HC was there, he sat on the mats next to her the entire time just chatting away... about everything, they talked about how to change a tire on a car, how to figure the diameter of a circle, how to find the area of a square, how tall Beetle would be when she 'grew up', on and on and on.. BUT after and hour and a half... she did a set of giants on bars and deemed the grips officially broken in! WOO HOOO!!

Personally, I think they could have been done in about a third of the time if it wasnt for the chatting! But I think it was important for Beetle to just visit with her coach for a change..

Thanks for all the fun posts on this thread..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back