Parents Another reason to love gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeping judy

Proud Parent
Today, my little ds participated in a pitch, hit and run competition in our town. My gymmie dd was with us and I told her to just try it for kicks. She said "Ok, yeah, whatever, I'll try." She used her six year old brother's equipment and has never played baseball (well, other than the driveway kind with her brothers). She killed the run and I think she may have won her division for today. I had no idea how they tallied the points, but the dad we were with was super impressed and thinks she won which means she would move onto regionals.

DD (13) is just discovering that she can be good at just about any sport she puts even a modicum of effort into. She is also seeing her friends who have quit gymnastics pick up other sports very easily. I think she is figuring out that she is not "just" a gymnast... she is an athlete. Does my band geek heart good to see it. ;)

This is the real reason my DH allows me to spend so much money on my kids' gymnastics.. he knows it will reap rewards in whatever athletic endeavor they end up doing later on. Not likely that they will stay in gymnastics for long, but who knows.

Wow that's great! I love hearing these stories. My daughter (6) is on preteam and her school PE teacher has mentioned that she excels in dance-like things in PE but needs to work on her hand-eye coordination. She's never had any interest in ball sports. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for helping a kid who is great at gymnastics and dance but needs help w/ hand-eye coordination?

Re: Hand eye coordination, I think you have to want it. Then you can practise.
I can do some spectacular catches of keys or random objects thrown suddenly at me from across the room. With my left hand, outstretched and having had to move to catch it.
Try throwing a ball at me and I'll squeal and duck. I hated that aspect of PE and was always lousy at it. Yet I was OK at lacrosse.
She'd probably be fine, if she wanted to be :)

My dd thinks she is not good at any other sports. yes her ball handling skills are not very good, but you don't do gymnastics with a ball, so she hasn't had much practice. I think she could pick up just about anything and do decently because of her gymnastics foundation. She just hasn't had an interest to try yet.

Yes, my dd didn't do well with the pitching (didn't hit one target), but did really well with the hitting and running aspects and made it to sectionals lol She ended up being the only girl in her age group that day, but her scores were competitive with the boys even though she has never played.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back