Coaches Another twisting question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymCoachSara

I have been teaching my level 7s to twist with their arms up by thier ears, something I have never done before. I am doing this to help them front tuck out of their 1 and 1/2 which has shown to be very successful. The height my girls are getting is awesome! However, I am wondering if this will make their doubles more difficult to achieve. I know everyone has a different opinion of twisting, but has anyone found this usefull or harmful to the gymnast. Looking for any suggestions:)
Sara

For front punching technique for most girls I feel ideally the arms would open somewhat outward with the chest open, similar to the end of a technically correct front layout. For a 1/2 twist there is not a significant pull of the arms generally...I would push the arms a little down and out over the 1/2 (can't think of how to explain very well without showing) although I guess if they are new to half twist it can be a little difficult. I would avoid an arm position where the arms are dragging "backwards" at the end of the half, which I envision to be somewhat of an issue with arms up (again don't know how to explain very well but I have seen this be an issue).

Here is basically a demonstration of what I mean. I wouldn't bring my arms all the way down for the half and then open, but this is the basic principle I would prefer.

[video=youtube_share;VbQ4oKUUSak]http://youtu.be/VbQ4oKUUSak[/video]

they should not be "twisting with their arms up by their ears". this will affect 2bles & 3pls. all that is necessary is for the arms to come in where they normally do when they twist and then come 'out' to punch front. doesn't matter which direction you're going. watch some of the elite floor routines and you'll see it at its best and the technique refined.:)

Thanks!

I will go back to my original twisting, thank you for all the help, it was very useful!

I think trying thing differently is great, and asking for feedback is even better. Was there some reason other than arm preparation for the next skill??????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back