Parents Another type of sleep "issue"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
When I saw the post about sleep issues I thought it might be about the one my dd has, so I thought I'd post to see if anyone else experiences this. Basically, she jerks around in her sleep, and I'm pretty sure she's doing gymnastics all night long. Sometimes it's very obvious that it's gymnastics - she'll kick with a straight leg and pointed toe, salute, or do some other movement that is clearly gymnastics. Other times she just seems to have lots of sudden body jerks (kind of like the ones that people have right before they fall asleep, but for her it's much more frequent.) Maybe this second thing is not gymnastics related, and maybe it doesn't matter, but it strikes me that it's not a very restful way to sleep. I asked the doctor about it once and she offered to do a sleep study, but it freaked out my kid and I dropped it. Anyone else's kid experience this?

My kid twitches 3 times as she is falling asleep. 3 times, one right after the other and then she is out.... Beyond predictable. And I have no clue. She otherwise sleeps like a champ.

When she was really little and not night trained. She go to the potty in her sleep. Literally lifted her legs as if she was sitting on the potty. Slept deeply through the whole thing and went in her pullup................... That she out grew lol

My kiddo does gymnastics in her sleep! I hate sharing a bed with her when we travel!! :) Even with the gymnastics she wakes up rested, so I don't worry about it!! Keep hoping she grows out of it!

my dd does this as well. Lots of jerking throughout the night. Has been that way since she was a toddler. I don't think it is related to gymnastics. I think some people have more active neuro stimulation while sleeping.

When the WINTER Olympics adds the "Toss and Turn" competition, I am sure I will win a gold medal.
I jerk in my sleep and also do sleepnastics. My dad says I have always done that... after all, I did manage to get a concussion in my sleep (in my early 20s) and once kicked out my bedroom window (in my early teens).
I am not a small person, but my sister has witnessed me flipping from one side to the other in one fluid movement. She has witnessed kicks and toe pointing and saluting and arching.
I have had sleep studies done (6 times over the years). I LOVE them. Other than the first one and the fourth one, they were great. The two anomalies, the technician got a kick out if watching me. At first, she thought i was awake, but the monitors showed that I was definitely sleeping. The other times, I was the most peaceful sleeper in the world. The tech said I did not move at all while I was asleep... but I did wake up more often those times.

Both of my gymnasts are restless sleepers, and my son talks and very occasionally walks in his sleep. My daughter has gotten somewhat less active as she's gotten older, so I'm hoping he will too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back