Parents Another upside to gymnastics / funny story

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
Talking to middle school daughters and the topic of swear words comes up. I know there are different POVs on the topic but I’m not a swearer (most of the time) and am not a fan of it, especially with kids. Call me old-fashioned. In any case, the convo goes something like this:

“EVERYONE swears, mom. All of the time.”

(Me) “Really? What about (insert name of super nice school friend with great parents)?”

“Yes, mom. Everyone.”

(me) “At school?”

“Yes. Constantly.”

(Me) “Even the sixth graders?”

“Yes! You should hear (insert name of friend since kinder who is now in sixth.)”

(Me, turning to gymnast daughter) “What about your gym friends?”

She looks at me aghast. “No!!! Of course not!”

Love it.

:p

When my daughter started middle school (7th grade) she came home and said, "Did you know you can put the F word and S word together?" I was thankful I had never said that while driving.

Must be very differential. I know that there are kids at my D’s past five gyms that used swear words- I’ve heard them.

My daughter learned the word douchebag at gym recently. I about spit out my drink when she said it about a guy wearing a super tight tank top. o_O

Then, she about spit out HER drink when I interpreted it for her. :p

Anyway, I know that’s not exactly a curse word but still- may as well be! LOL. There’s definitely a significant amount of gym-cussing here too. And some of the ones she tells me cuss the most really surprise me!

My daughter learned the word douchebag at gym recently. I about spit out my drink when she said it about a guy wearing a super tight tank top. o_O

Anyway, I know that’s not exactly a curse word but still- may as well be! LOL. There’s definitely a significant amount of gym-cussing here too. And some of the ones she tells me cuss the most really surprise me!
Ok, so everyone knows we are with a YMCA team... Well, when this past season started, the Xcel Gold coach had to have a conversation with the Golds about appropriate speech "because we have an 11 year old on our team!" Actually, there were FOUR 11 year olds and one of the younger two is 5'5" tall, so she is often thought of as older, lol. I think the only girls on the entire team JO L3-L8 and Xcel Gold and Platinum that I haven't personally heard cuss are L3 and L4 girls ages 9 and under, a couple of 10 year old L3s, a 12 year old L4, and a 13 year old Xcel Gold. Of course, I tend to overhear conversations that "adults" aren't meant to overhear, lol. I must blend really well ;)

Same happened with my son in 7th grade. He came home and called someone a douchebag. I explained what it was and I've never heard it used again.

I’m sure it’s “not allowed “ at any gym :)
I disagree there. Have seen and heard it years previously at a gym where we started our journey, and it was apparently “allowed” for venting purposes for the older girls. I am sure it wasn’t a regular thing, but I happened to hear it a few times in the brief times I came early for pickup....it was when girls were struggling with a skill and were frustrated. The coach just told them to breathe, get some water, and then regroup. My kid was only on preteam at the time, but I couldn’t help thinking that there looked to be young girls in the group hearing these lovely words....this said, my kid is one of those who will look thirteen when she is twenty, so maybe they weren’t young at all....

On that note, one thing that has been enlightening to my child recently are the actual lyrics of some of these popular songs amongst the tweens and teens. Once I educated her about what she was actually singing in terms of meaning? Well, let’s just say there are some songs she no longer wants to sing (at least not out loud)!

I’m sure it’s “not allowed “ at any gym :)
I can attest that in 16 years, I have never heard cussing from team girls or coaches during practice. And I’ve sat through probably thousands (is that possible????) of hours of practice. I know they do when they’re outside of practice, I’m not naive, but it’s not heard in the gym.

I’ve never heard it either. That would be unacceptable and shocking if the language was used that openly. In our gym that would never be tolerated. However, in private/secret conversations there is colorful language sometimes used (primarily by the high school cohort).

As far as I know it’s not allowed at our gym and I’ve never heard it. Cursing is not allowed in our home and I wouldn’t want it used at her gym, especially by her coaches either. I’m probably old fashioned too, but I just don’t like to hear it. I have an especially low tolerance for the f word.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back