Parents Any experience with balance and an ear infection?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
My dd was diagnosed with a middle ear infection last Tuesday and has one day left on her antibiotic. She said she is still feeling more wobbly than usual on the beam. She has only been working on level 3 skills/routine since the infection and she has been avoiding up training because I have been concerned about her balance while recovering. It maybe hasn't been a good call to let her do beam at all but she has otherwise felt totally fine. Does anyone have any experience as to how long balance is usually affected? I am wondering if/when I should take her back to the doctor to get rechecked. It's definitely having an impact on her confidence.

i think it really just varies person to person, virus to virus, etc.
i will say that if her fever and pain are gone, probably no need for more antibiotic (or doctor visit).
just may take another day for residual inflammation to clear up and feel completely normal again.
but, that being said, certainly couldn't hurt to have another check up if it will help you both feel better.

If there is still fluid behind the ear it may not still be infected but can affect balance. May improve with decongestant but I would touch base with the doctor.

can take weeks for fluid to completely resolve...unfortunately not much but time really helps...

kids with recurrent ear infections can develop balance issues - always wondered if DD vestibular stuff was trigger by her recurrent (and severe - as in hospital stay because of bone involvement) ear infections. Certainly she even had a month of issues even at age 12 when she had her last mastoid infection (her ear infections occaisionaly went into the air spaces of her mastoid bone - only once needed hospital thankfully).

Other kids just brush it off - but being patient and making sure the kid and the coaches know what's going on is key....

Thanks everyone. I talked with her beam coach today. She was very understanding and definitely thought dd has been off her game in the balance department. I think it is very likely she still has some fluid in there. The bummer is she has had to do her routine a couple times for the HC (I don't think he knows) in the last couple of days and has fallen off and not been able to do her dismount well. She is really down on herself even though I have told her it is likely a result of fluid. Hopefully, it resolves in the next week or two. They are having an in house meet next month to see if they can score high enough to move to the next level. I don't really care that much but I would like her to be able to do what she is capable of! Again, thank you! It's nice to hear that is likely the explanation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back