Any gymnasts or parents of gymnasts who train at WAIS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs_C

Proud Parent
My daughter has been asked to attend a talent ID day at the Western Australian Institute of Sport in a few weeks time. She's currently NDP2 and turning 8 in September. I was interested in what hours would be required for training and the costs involved if accepted. And also any advice or experiences willing to be shared about training with WAIS.

And also what do these elite coaches look for when they search out potential talent? My daughter makes it terms of flexibility, co-ordination and has a lean, small body. I'm just concerned she may not have the mental drive to take on such rigorous training and coaching (pretty laid back when it comes to gym).

I don't know much about IDP training at WAIS, other than training there (maaaaaaany years ago!) with my high school. I would imagine the hours probably start around 6-9 a week, and then increase...as will costs, accordingly. I *think* the program is subsidised, possibly once the girls reach a certain level, but don't quote me on that, and I'm not sure by how much.

I believe it is an excellent program with good coaches, and the girls always seem happy. They get good results nationally and of course have two high-profile international gymnasts.

As to what they're looking for, I would imagine a girl with natural strength, flexibility, petite in stature, and with the ability to be coached (and that would encompass the mental aspect). @Aussie_coach will possibly be able to give you a better idea of what they are looking for.

Good luck to your DD. Let us know how she goes!

I'm just concerned she may not have the mental drive to take on such rigorous training and coaching (pretty laid back when it comes to gym).
Does she want to do IDP? Does she eat, sleep, breath gymnastics and want to do it more than anything else (and really at the exclusion of pretty much everything else but school work)?

If she does then good luck to her.

To give you an idea of hours and cost.. My DD was scouted by an IDP club in Victoria. She is 7 and competed NDP2 this year also. They want her training IDP2 at 14.5 hours a weeks next term, with a cost if around $1,222 per term plus double coaching fee which is $230 per term. This would increase next year to 22 hours training with a cost of $1,488 plus double coaching. I hope this helps :)

To give you an idea of hours and cost.. My DD was scouted by an IDP club in Victoria. She is 7 and competed NDP2 this year also. They want her training IDP2 at 14.5 hours a weeks next term, with a cost if around $1,222 per term plus double coaching fee which is $230 per term. This would increase next year to 22 hours training with a cost of $1,488 plus double coaching. I hope this helps :)
Holy moly!!!!!

Holy moly!!!!!
Yep!!! It's a big commitment. Especially when you add the extra fuel! It's such a hard decision! I know that! It has been a headache to decided if we would let our daughter join an IDP program, especially when she is at an amazing club now. But we're going to give it a go. If we last a few months, then so be it!

I have no clue how it works in Australia. Do little ones in WAIS compete? If so, does this fee include competition fees?
Assuming that the answer to both of the above questions is YES & that one term is 4 months long (3 terms per year), that price seems about average for JO lvl 3/4 in my area. (Competition term price for those levels is about $3100 (9months) or about $345.). You don't want to know about the optional level girls and don't get me started on the 'elite' tracked little ones!!!!!

Yes the kids compete, but competition entry fees are charged separately to tuition fees.

A term is 10 weeks in Australia.

DDs gym xcel girls pay $1100 for a ten week term for only 9 hrs a week. Fairly comparable. I guess this sport really is expensive everywhere!

I have just received the new squad offer for my daughter. Currently an IDP 1 her new squad commencing 1st Oct will be IDP2 at a cost of $330/month training 12hrs/week.
The monthly fee also covers the 6weeks of training over the school holiday for the year. Extra costs are the GYMWA registration fee $100/pa.

Gymnastics is by no means a cheap sport especially if your child is in the IDP Program.

Yikes...and here I was lamenting my DD's $208 per term for her NDP development program LOL (holiday training is extra at $17.60 per session...of which she only has one these coming holidays! Phew...)

My daughter has been asked to attend a talent ID day at the Western Australian Institute of Sport in a few weeks time. She's currently NDP2 and turning 8 in September. I was interested in what hours would be required for training and the costs involved if accepted. And also any advice or experiences willing to be shared about training with WAIS.

And also what do these elite coaches look for when they search out potential talent? My daughter makes it terms of flexibility, co-ordination and has a lean, small body. I'm just concerned she may not have the mental drive to take on such rigorous training and coaching (pretty laid back when it comes to gym).

Hi Mrs_C
Any updates how was the talent ID in WAIS went for your dd? I am excited to know. Thanks and good luck to your dd.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back