Any hot tips for picking floor music?????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
DD is moving up to optionals:D The coach handed her 4 CD's of sample music & told her to pick her 3 favorite songs(by the end of the week). The coach still has total veto power though. Have any suggestions to help us narrow it down. DD is a fast tumbler, so slow tunes are out. We also ruled out "too cutsie" tunes(DD just turned 13yrs old). It seems to me a combo of fast & then some slower would be best. Are 'popular' or 'funny' tunes frowned upon(such as comedy TV show theme songs):confused:

Yea. She has to have floor music that she likes or she would perform it well. But also think about what the judges like too. I've always been way into soundtracks from movies. My two favorites have been Pirates of the Carribean and National Treasure. Good luckwith finding floor music.

For me, I wanted to make sure I'd have fun every single time I did the routine. It has to be something that suits her personality, as well as gymnastics. Really good dancers can work with slower music, while people with better endurance tend to do well with fast-paced techno. Me, I'm a performer and I picked Tainted Love. My teammates do the clap-clap in the middle of the routine (3 times). After the first time, the whole crowd gets involved...I'm glad I give people a chance to relive the 80's. But you really just have to figure out what you want from the music. I wanted something familiar, and that's what I got.

Do something that reflects your dd's personality. Or maybe after a fast beat in the beginning, and she gets tired from the 1st tumbling pass or jumps that she does at the fast beat, try to have a slow beat to calm her down. Hope that makes sense. Also try any music themes or cool endings\beginnings that your dd likes.Good luck!:)

My duaghter had the squirrel nut zippers medley in level 8. It was really unusual and I loved it. We never heard it much at meets.

Thank you all for your posts...she picked out 3 songs. We'll see what the coach thinks of her choices today. I only like 1 of them...but I'm just the mom who writes the checks!LOL

Last edited:
Let us know what she picks!

BTW, the song I picked was one of my dad's favorite songs of all time, so I knew he wouldn't mind! My mom really didn't give too many opinions, though.

DD just got home from practice....she's beaming & very happy! The coach let her have her 1st choice....Wipeout!!!! Not one that I really cared for( I wanted Walking on Sunshine)...but I'm not the one doing the routine. She's happy... so I'm happy:) Thanks for your advice.

DD just got home from practice....she's beaming & very happy! The coach let her have her 1st choice....Wipeout!!!! Not one that I really cared for( I wanted Walking on Sunshine)...but I'm not the one doing the routine. She's happy... so I'm happy:) Thanks for your advice.

Glad she is happy:) Good luck to your DD in optionals!!

Cool. Walking on sunshine is pretty popular. So maybe she'll have something unique.

Thanks gracefulone! DD is definitely unique(LOL)...so it should fit her well! I can't believe the coach went along with "wipeout". But all of the level 7's & her coach thought it would work well for her. She is a very fast energetic gymmie. I thought the coach would make her switch to something in the "swing or big bands" type of music.

I had walking on sunshine! I had it for 7th and 8th. I also wanted wipeout! haha. What was her other choice? I'm looking for floor music right now actually and I think I like eye of the tiger.

They really have to like their music... up here we are "optionals" right through the levels but certainly it is important to choose flooor music that 1) reflects their personality/strenghts and, 2) won't be repeated multiple times in a meet...

PS. actually, I have always thought that Supertramp "Fool's Overture" could be great floor music as would parts of the Doors "riders on the storm". Still working on DD, but her gym keeps routines 2 yrs so I have time...

I had walking on sunshine! I had it for 7th and 8th. I also wanted wipeout! haha. What was her other choice? I'm looking for floor music right now actually and I think I like eye of the tiger.
Eye of the tiger would be a great tune for a floor routine....I say go for it! DD's 3rd choice was the theme song from Green Acres!LOL:) As you may have guessed DD is quite the "ham". She's so excited to be a 7 & get her own routine. I'm sure her unique personality will come through in her routine. I also REALLY liked "King of Swing" for her, but one of her teammates already has a similar version of it :( I'm just afraid she'll be gasping for breath by the time she's done doing a routine to "Wipeout". It's sooo fast all the way through. But she is the energizer bunny....she just keeps going & going & going:)

Best of luck to your DD and all others picking out music. I've been listening to demos just for fun, and now I really can't see myself doing a routine to anything else!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back