Parents Any one Going to Philly?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anyone making the trip to Philly to watch the trials next weekend? We were going to get tickets but changed our mind since we were just getting back from Disney when orderes were due. I am so kicking myself in the booty now. Most of our team is going to make the trip to watch all 4 days. I was wondering if anyone here was going? I hope DD forgives me when it is all over. Mommy was having a cheap moment. I just didn't see spending (500.00 just for her) for tickets for a 5 year old to go and watch when she would only want to see the womens.

I wish we could go to Philly, but it will be on TV. Which might be easier to watch with little kids running around, than missing half a live meet because your 7 year old needs to go pee NOW:eek: and you take them to the bathroom only to find a line up of 50 others Mom's with their 7 yr old who needs to go pee NOW as well. Does that sound like I know??? That was our first experience of a live international meet, I missed Shawn Johnson on the beam whilst waiting for the toilet.:rolleyes:

One of my older DD's teammates is going and we were going to go w/them and split the cost of a room, but my older DD took too long to decide, and younger DD wanted to go and we didn't end up getting tickets at all! We'll be watching on TV too.

Bog - I hear ya on the bathroom thing, but my own kids know the rules - pee BEFORE anything starts. I took a bunch of DDs' friends to see the Hannah Montana movie and one of the other kids had to go to the bathroom during my favorite song!! My DD turned around and said Sami, my mom makes us go to the bathroom BEFORE the show starts, LOL.

We WERE going to go... I even made hotel reservations last summer for the trials! Then thought it over and decided to cancel! I'm having "back and forth" moments about it, but like Bog said, the event will be televised, DD only wanated to see the women's events, and I think we'll have a better view watching it on TV rather than sitting in the nosebleed section w/everyone running around, etc.

Also, DD is going to IGC for a week, then her team is having a "Mandatory" camp for 2 weeks in August (yeah, mandatory, yet they're charging another 225.00 per week for it ON TOP of our regular tuition)... so yeah, I was having a "cheap" moment too (but I like to call it a "moment of rationality" now!)

-Lynn

I'd love to go to something like that but my DD is still fairly young. She'd much rather do than watch. She'll be 10 next time around so maybe we'll go then.

I am going to see the trials. Between airfair and tickets its very expensive. It was a birthday present for me. I'll be going with my sister in law who lives there so at least there is no hotel to pay for. My 7 yr old dd cried when I told here she wasn't going. I only felt guilty for a while. I know there is no way she would enjoy just sitting and watching. She wants to do it. We went to watch a L4 meet this year so she could see what a meet was like and she was bored very quickly. She kept telling me that she wanted to be down there doing gymnastics. She was even practicing the floor rountine hand movements while sitting in her seat. She would drive me crazy if I had to listen too " When is my turn" the whole time. Our plan in to watch it at the arena and then go home and watch the recorded version to get a different perspective. Our seats are on rhe lower level so I hope that they are good.

I'm with you. While the location is easy to get to for us (in NJ) to get to, and we could have gotten tickets thru our gym, my daughter is only 7 and wouldn't sit still for that right now & would probably only enjoy the womans events. Back in Jan we went to a college gymnastics meet and all she did was want to run up & down the bleachers, go back and forth to the bathrooms, walk around, ect...couldn't sit still at all. I will be recording it on tv and we can watch it here at home, maybe invite her friend/teamate. Maybe next time around.

My dd was 7 when the Visa championships were in NYC and I took her then. Of course at the time we lived there so it was much easier. She really surprised me though - not once did she move from her seat - she watched the entire thing so intently. I would love to take her to Philly - but just can't spend the money on it right now. We will just have to watch it on tv - which we tivo and I'm sure she will watch it over and over.

LOL at how different kids are. MY 7 yr old is the one who desparately wanted to go. It's my 11 yr old who would be the fidget (her nickname) and she's want to be walking around,shopping the souvenir stands, etc. My 7 yr old and my DS are ones who always watch gymnastics with me on TV, not older DD.

One of the Level 9s from our new gym is going for her 14th birthday present:) She is so lucky. I hope they have a blast and anyone else that is going... Please do a complete meet update when you get back:)
You will all have so much fun:)

We will be there Fri, Sat, & Sun. We're siting in lower level 112 row 7 - excellent seats. We wil be there with DD's old gym. DD quit in April. We are both looking forward to girls weekend out. Since I am in DE I can drive each day. It's about 40 miles.

We took my DD to the SEC Championships and also to the NCAA championships and she absolutely loved them both. Then again, she got to cheer and chant and clap and yell for the Gymdogs and the Gators. I'm not sure if she loved the gymnastics or the yelling and chanting. :D

I will be volunteering all 4 days before the meets. I will be watching the women's day 1 by myself and women's day 2 with DH & DD.

Anyone making the trip to Philly to watch the trials next weekend? We were going to get tickets but changed our mind since we were just getting back from Disney when orderes were due. I am so kicking myself in the booty now. Most of our team is going to make the trip to watch all 4 days. I was wondering if anyone here was going? I hope DD forgives me when it is all over. Mommy was having a cheap moment. I just didn't see spending (500.00 just for her) for tickets for a 5 year old to go and watch when she would only want to see the womens.

You can still get tickets - cheap!!! I can send you the link in the a.m. of where I got mine (ticket broker). Also one of the philly stations was selling tickets for $8.88. Here's the link (hope I'm not breaking any rules mods) NBC10.com - Upcoming Events

I hope you go!!!

I am going to see the trials. Between airfair and tickets its very expensive. It was a birthday present for me. I'll be going with my sister in law who lives there so at least there is no hotel to pay for. My 7 yr old dd cried when I told here she wasn't going. I only felt guilty for a while. I know there is no way she would enjoy just sitting and watching. She wants to do it. We went to watch a L4 meet this year so she could see what a meet was like and she was bored very quickly. She kept telling me that she wanted to be down there doing gymnastics. She was even practicing the floor rountine hand movements while sitting in her seat. She would drive me crazy if I had to listen too " When is my turn" the whole time. Our plan in to watch it at the arena and then go home and watch the recorded version to get a different perspective. Our seats are on rhe lower level so I hope that they are good.

Not to add to your mom guilt, but watching a local meet of kids (my daughter does NOT like to watch meets (although she SAYS she does) Gets very bored. I took her to the Tyson cup in NYC and she was enthralled. Loved every second of it. Became an even bigger fan of Nastia (my DD loves bars & beam so Nastia it is for her).

However, it was YOUR gift. There will be other olympic trial for her to see.

Have fun!

I will be volunteering all 4 days before the meets. I will be watching the women's day 1 by myself and women's day 2 with DH & DD.

I was going to volunteer, too but decided against it. How much work is involved? Must you be there the whole day? DD really wants to see it so I'll be sitting with her. We got our tickets through the gym months ago. I sold my mens event tickets to a parent of a male gymnast so I didn't lose out there. My dd wouldn't want to sit through that anyway. Our seats are in the upper deck, I think section 204A but we're in the first row. From what I hear they're great seats. We're driving down with one of her teammates both nights. She asked me this morning how many days left until she gets to see Shawn Johnson. She's only 6 but I know she'll sit without a problem. Hope everyone that's going enjoys it!

Olympic Trials

We are going with a group from our gym, 3 moms and 5 girls, ages 7-14, we are riding the Amtrak up on Friday, We can sight see all of Saturday and most of Sunday. And ride the train back on Monday.

We are going to Friday night and Sunday nights events. We didn't have to buy all 4 nights, and we just got our tickets last week. So those of you who still want to go, there is a chance that there are tickets still available. It was $75 each person for both nights, and we have seats about half the way up.

The girls are so excited, the only non exciting thing is catching the train at 4am!!!!!!!

I am taking my daughter to the last night of the womens competition on Sunday. I was debating on getting the package from the gym for all 4 nights but I did not think both of us would sit through all 4 nights. So I got seats on the 2nd level first row, I asked daughter where she wanted to sit she said she did not care as long as it was near the beam! (She loves the beam). It was kind of like we had to go since Philly is our hometown and I think I would regret not going but i know when we get there my daughter is going to want to buy all this stuff so I may regret it when I get my Visa statement!!!:rolleyes:

I was going to volunteer, too but decided against it. How much work is involved? Must you be there the whole day? DD really wants to see it so I'll be sitting with her. We got our tickets through the gym months ago. I sold my mens event tickets to a parent of a male gymnast so I didn't lose out there. My dd wouldn't want to sit through that anyway. Our seats are in the upper deck, I think section 204A but we're in the first row. From what I hear they're great seats. We're driving down with one of her teammates both nights. She asked me this morning how many days left until she gets to see Shawn Johnson. She's only 6 but I know she'll sit without a problem. Hope everyone that's going enjoys it!

I'm in Section 204A too - row 1. Maybe we will get a chance to meet. My dd is 11 and she will be with her best friend who is also 11 and us moms. There was a total of 9 of us. There is another family (3 people too), she's a little older though. Also there other 2 bought tickets but because of personal reasons have backed out and she is trying to sell the tickets.

I am short (5'3") with a short brunette bob and I have freckles. Dd has brown hair, big brown eyes and has braces.

We will definitely be there for the women's on Friday and Sunday. We all train at the same gym as Darlene/Darling Hill, so our row will be loud when she is going!

See ya!

Granny Smith ~ How awesome is that!!!! I think we're in seats 1 & 2, Section 204A, Row 1. What a small world. I will definitely look for you and your gang! We have a gymnast going, too....Amber Trani. She was actually on the national team until she had a back injury. She just had surgery a couple months ago. I doubt she'll get chosen but I know she's thrilled just to be there!! And is her name Darling or Darlene?

Anyway, I'm 5'2", reddish-blonde hair. DD is a little peanut and will probably have some kind of gymnastics shirt on. I will keep my eye out for you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back