Parents Any other parents of gymnasts with ASD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TypicalGymMom

Proud Parent
I'm wondering how common this is. My 9yo dd has autism spectrum disorder and started gymnastics about a year and a half ago. For her, gymnastics has been life changing. She loves the routine of practice. She gets quasi-social time with girls her own age, but with a lot of structure so it's easier to handle. She really enjoys conditioning and stretching (it's really calming for her). The repetition is great for her. If I could create the perfect environment for her, it would pretty much be her gym (the are very low stress with low pressure on scores). Our only issue is she never wants to move up levels (change is bad, lol!).

Since the environment seems so conducive to ASD, I was wondering how common it is for gymnasts to have that diagnosis. I have yet to meet anyone else in gymnastics with ASD.

My daughter does not have ASD but I wanted to comment to say that it's so great that your daughter is thriving in gymnastics and you've found a gym/coach that is patient and works well for her. Hearing things like this makes me happy.

I noticed when the Special Olympics World Games took place, I believe the winner of the gymnastics competition was on the spectrum and was a beautiful gymnast. I think she's from Great Britain, maybe? I can't remember. I've known a few kids on the spectrum that have competed, including one on our own team. She has some challenges as she is still young and will shut down when frustrated or upset, but she is really coming along and gymnastics has been great for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back