Any suggestions or tips? :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

*wishful*thinking*

I am currently without a gym or coach, I had to stop about 5 years ago and am just getting back into it. I don't think I'll be able to go to classes again any time soon either. I only know the basics (the easiest beam mounts and dismounts, handstands, back bends, cartwheels, round offs, etc.), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips to help me perfect those and learn (safely) new skills. here is a picture of me doing a handstand last night, it's not the best. thanks!

Attachments

• 109_0149.jpg
    109_0149.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi Wishful Thinking,
I trained myself for many years so I feel I can give you some advice. For your handstand, do them against a wall and hold for as long as you can with straight arms. Make sure you are pressing your back against the wall to remove any arch.
For back bends, try walking like a crab in the back bend, backwards and forwards. It strengthens all the muscles you will need for back walkovers and front walkovers.
For cartwheels, always start with your arms by your ears. Lift the back leg as your body goes forward to put your hands on the floor. Arms are by your ears again when you finish. Make a line on the floor with tape to get really confident for cartwheels on beam.
You'll need shoulder strength for that "push" in a Roundoff. You can develop this strength by doing shoulder shrugs in a handstand against a wall. Never bend your arms in a shoulder shrug. Sag in the shoulders and then extend. Do as many reps until you are tired.
Conditioning is very important. Do push ups, V-ups, releves, pull ups, crunches, handstand holds, wall sits, rocking in a hollow position on your back, stomach and both sides.
Always work on flexibility! Especially the wrists and ankles. Splits should be done with squared hips. Straddle splits with feet upward, not rolled forward. Shoulder flexibilty too! Get a dowel stick and stretch your upper body with it.
These are few suggestions to work on. In a few months, if you do these faithfully, you will notice a lot of improvement. Go for it! I'm behind you all the way! :)

thanks! just one question, how do you do releves and v-ups?

V-ups (pike ups) are a type of sit up. You lay down flat on the floor (on your back) then you reach for your toes while you bring your upper body up at the same time (so you are sitting in a "V" shape). then lower back down and repeat.

A releve (the correct spelling has a small dash over the last e, but I don't know how to make one on the computer) is an exercise to strengthen your calve muscles. From a stand, on one leg or two, just go up onto the ball of your foot and go back down to a stand and repeat. My coach had us do ours on the edge of a step so we could go down below the step with our heel and then releve up. We had to do 15 reps on single leg/ 3 sets /and also with both legs. Weightlifters do them while holding weights which makes them more difficult.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back