Parents Any words of wisdom for our 1st meet?!??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
Hello Ladies! I just joined this group and I'm soooo glad I did. By reading posts, it looks like this is a great support system! I'm tired of getting annihilated by non-gym families who don't understand the time and commitment the kids WILLINGLY go through to do this sport, and the excitement of getting to compete!

Moving on..... :)

DD is 5.5 years old and is competing in her very first L3 competition on Jan. 13th! We've "prepared" by doing a small in-house meet at her gym, but I'm told that meets are NOTHING what we did. In fact, there are 60 level 3 girls competing!! From what I understand, there are only 2 other 5yo girls competing, so I'm assuming that her age bracket will be 5-6 or 5-7. Is that pretty normal?

Thanks in advance!!!

The best advice I have for preparing is to encourage her to HAVE FUN! That is the key to staying in this sport. If they focus on the fun, it will be great!!!

It would probably be 6 and under...or 6.5 and under, depending on just how many 6 year olds there are. I've seen a lot of meets where they break a really popular age into an "A" and "B" because there are so many girls, and I'd imagine 6 and/or 7 could be like that at L3...and w/ 60 girls they are likely to at least want to break it into 3, 4, or maybe even 5, awards groups. Eventually, they'll likely pick an "and over" age group where any girl older than a certain age goes in that group - I'd predict it's probably around 8 or 9 for L3. Meets around me normally award medals/ribbons to the top half of the age group - like if there are 12 girls in the 6 and under group, they will give out medals to the top 6 highest scores on all 4 events and the all around. Same thing for team - if there are say 6 teams, only the top 3 get an award. Good luck to your DD :)!

Last edited:
I agree with telling her to have fun. Also, at her age, remind her to do whatever her coach tells her (be a good listener).:) I also think it is a good idea to get there early (unless you are the first group) so that she can look around and see some of the girls going before her. Even if they are a different level, it helps her see what a meet is like.

It depends on how many 6 & 7 year olds there are, to what her age group will be like. At our level 3 meets we just received different ribbons for their scores (blue for 9s, red for 8s etc) and they were called up in no particular order, but it depends on where you are at and what type of meets they are. My sister lives in a different region from us and her dd received medals and placements at level 3.

Also, our coaches talked to the girls about what to expect the night before (or last practice before) the first meet. She went over what they should wear (no nail polish, hair pulled back so that it will stay) etc.

Hope you guys enjoy your first experience with a meet!

What everyone else said! Relax and have fun!! IMHO, the goal/purpose of competing at L3 is to just get the kids used to competing, being judged, being out there alone, etc. Maybe get her a little something special for after. I bought my DD flowers to give her after her first meet. She still remembers!

Good Luck!!

Have fun and enjoy it (you too!!) Take pictures and video (but no flash!!) so when she's a long ways down the road in this sport you can look back at that first meet with fond memories! Don't worry about medals, ribbons and placements yet. At 5 she will take her cue from you and she will be happy with and proud of whatever medals/ribbons she gets as long as she isn't told otherwise... in our state they do achievement awards only, no placement for L3 and no team awards for L3. Get there early, go to the restroom before the competiton starts. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!
We are the 1st group on Sunday, so it'll be an early start. Luckily, her focus is a million times better in the morning than later in the afternoon.
I "think" the L3s are going to get medals, from looking at the website, but we're certainly not expecting any. Her team started late ..... and didn't even start learning the routines until September. We are planning on going to a "fancy" lunch afterward.

It's interesting to hear that there will be huge differences in the meets.

I have learned to leave my 2yo with grandma!!! :)

My goodness! Good luck to her! (and you!) my dd didn't even take her first gym class till she was 6 yrs old, so I have no reference point with a 5 yr old competing, but when my dd started to compete L4 at 7yrs old, it was still all just about fun and sparkly leos and getting to strut her stuff with the all important glitter in her hair. She didn't really understand anything else, lol! Now, at 9 she's getting ready to compete her first L7 meet! She understands better now, but she still is in love with the sparkly leos, the hair glitter, and getting to strut her stuff!! My advice...be a great cheerleader- if she needs to focus on something, set small goals.. always trying to improve herself-not in relation to others. Oh, and ice cream after the meet is a wonderful thing!!!

Have fun, and good luck! Welcome to this sometimes crazy world of competitive gymnastics! ;D

My goodness! Good luck to her! (and you!) my dd didn't even take her first gym class till she was 6 yrs old, so I have no reference point with a 5 yr old competing, but when my dd started to compete L4 at 7yrs old, it was still all just about fun and sparkly leos and getting to strut her stuff with the all important glitter in her hair. She didn't really understand anything else, lol! Now, at 9 she's getting ready to compete her first L7 meet! She understands better now, but she still is in love with the sparkly leos, the hair glitter, and getting to strut her stuff!! My advice...be a great cheerleader- if she needs to focus on something, set small goals.. always trying to improve herself-not in relation to others. Oh, and ice cream after the meet is a wonderful thing!!!

Have fun, and good luck! Welcome to this sometimes crazy world of competitive gymnastics! ;D

Wow, and my DD didn't start rec classes til she was almost 9. Now at 13 the sparkly leos are still ever important! lol!

My girl (now 10) loves the sparkly glitter in her hair (coaches put that in) as much as the sparkly leotard :)

Have a ton of fun! I adore level 3! So cute!

i don't think your gym started late. Ours ddoesn't start routines until early October and we have already had a meet.

Only one other thing to add that hasn't been said...if your kid is the type who gets anxious about the unknown, maybe you could go watch a meet this coming weekend somewhere close to you. That way, she would see how they run and have a better idea of what to expect, etc. But if she is just excited about it, then be excited with and for her. Everything else will take care of itself.

And please report back after the meet!

Good luck! And remember, at that level, it's all about learning, growing, and having fun. Just make sure you don'tturn into a crazy gym mom that yells when the judges give a score that in your opinion is .001 too low! ;)

^^haha...... at this point, I don't even understand scoring!
And, I really hope DD gets some hair glitter from the coach! She has a hair place she goes to specifically for the hair glitter! LOL!

^^haha...... at this point, I don't even understand scoring!
And, I really hope DD gets some hair glitter from the coach! She has a hair place she goes to specifically for the hair glitter! LOL!

You can also get it at a party store or, at any store around Halloween :)

I agree with having fun! Come back and tell us all about it! And yep, my dd still loves the sparkly leo

DD loved doing L3. In Idaho it was the awards were placement ribbons and she loved it. She made it a goal to have all blues by the end of the season. Just have fun and take lots of pictures. They are so cute at this age!

DD has been practicing her walk onto the floor. OH MY!! She swings those hips like Jessica Rabbit.
It's so hard to remember that she's a "little girl" (super tall for her age)! I've really gotta keep it in perspective! :)

You want words of wisdom? I have some words of wisdom.

Do NOT send red gatorade with your 8YO daughter who is apparently incapable of drinking without dribbling. This is especially important if said daughter has a comp leo with white on it. Because despite 90% of the flipping leotard being red, the red gatorade will inevitably land on the white fabric that makes up less than 2% of the leo.

Oh yeah...and it doesn't wash out. And dabbing it with bleach only yellows the white. Thank god we only have 6 meets left in this leo.

I'm just going to echo everyone else. HAVE FUN!
Get there in plenty of time so you are not in a rush. Don't let any of your anxiety show..it's catching, you know...lol
My DD is 7 (L5) and the glitter is still very important in her eyes too. I normally pick up a can a week or two after Halloween when you can get it for a buck a can...lol.
With my DD before she goes out...I just give her a hug, tell her I love her, and to have fun...and normally throw a pat on the hiney in there at the end for good measure. Then hand her off to her coaches.
Here, for L4 and under they give them all something, whether a medal, ribbon, trophy..ect. Some meets (all of the ones we go to..7 total) also give out goody bags (or something..some do t-shirts, water bottles..ect).
I think most host gyms will try to make the meets for the L4 and below all about fun (because, really that's what it should be about anyway). Just gets them in the swing of what a meet feels like.
Also, like others have said..we will normally go somewhere afterwards for something to eat. Depending on what time of day it is, and how close to a meal time it is, will decide if it is for a meal or snack. But, that being said, we always let her pick where we go. We do this no matter how or where she places. It's so the focus is not put on scores and placement..but rather on just the fact that she got out there and did her best. (and we all know personally, that your best one day is not your best the next).
Like the others said...FUN FUN FUN. The harder times will come soon enough! LOL

You want words of wisdom? I have some words of wisdom.

Do NOT send red gatorade with your 8YO daughter who is apparently incapable of drinking without dribbling. This is especially important if said daughter has a comp leo with white on it. Because despite 90% of the flipping leotard being red, the red gatorade will inevitably land on the white fabric that makes up less than 2% of the leo.

Oh yeah...and it doesn't wash out. And dabbing it with bleach only yellows the white. Thank god we only have 6 meets left in this leo.

HAHAHA!!! That is sooooo something that would happen to me/her/us!!! So, water ..... only water.... in the leo! Check!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back