Parents Anybody trying gym school?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymDadWA

Proud Parent
Our gym posted this as something for the gymnasts to do, did anyone else hear about it or is doing it? Not sure if it is legit or not, hoping that someone on chalkbucket could vouch for it.

Screenshot_20200323-223108.png

It is legit. I haven’t signed up yet because I’m waiting a few days to hear people’s feedback on its applicability to compulsory levels. I suspect it may be geared mostly towards optionals/older girls. I don’t want to sign up and then have my daughter be disappointed. I like that 50% goes to the gym though! If they had a parallel version/set of classes for younger girls I would be all over that.

Update from a friend: content so far is mostly fluffy but holding out hope it will improve.

I looked at their insta and it seems like it’s probably best for gymnasts who are quite extroverted, social, just need to feel like they have contact with others. (Especially since it’s three times a day!)

What I am looking for is a fun but focused, reliably useful, daily online live workout. With scaling for different levels. So far our gym isn’t offering that for just our team, not sure why since lots of gyms seem to be doing that.

Thanks for the update, we're getting daily workouts from our gym, but yeah DD misses the social aspect for sure.

Update from a friend: content so far is mostly fluffy but holding out hope it will improve.

I looked at their insta and it seems like it’s probably best for gymnasts who are quite extroverted, social, just need to feel like they have contact with others. (Especially since it’s three times a day!)

What I am looking for is a fun but focused, reliably useful, daily online live workout. With scaling for different levels. So far our gym isn’t offering that for just our team, not sure why since lots of gyms seem to be doing that.

My kids are repeating the same daily workout with their teams on Zoom. I can't tell you that it looks like they are truly working their hardest like they would condition in the gym, but they are doing something and doing it together, which I feel makes a difference. They are switching the workout leader daily.

You could also try the Gotham Gymnastics videos. My kids have liked those a lot.

My DD signed up for gym school. The dance class was geared for younger kids. She found the goal-setting to be helpful. There was nothing presented that she didn't already know BUT hearing it from people she looks up to was encouraging and she doesn't feel so 'alone' because they were talking about the same issues she's been thinking about. She has not done a workout yet but I think is planning on trying it today. There might be something to @kendo348 's comment that it's more of a social thing. I will update more as my DD does more classes!

I signed up my daughter. She really likes any session that is active or has workouts. Sometimes I do them with her . Her oldest sister‘s old room has a walk-in closet covered inside with Olympic and college gym posters, and now she’s getting to hear these same gymnasts talking to her about fear, staying positive, and other life lessons, as well as gymnastics. it keeps her busy, and she has already memorized the schedule and reminds me when a session is about to start. I don’t feel like my money is wasted even if everything doesn’t apply to her, because half will be sent to her gym to help keep the doors open. I know it’s not a lot of money, but every little bit helps.

We ended up signing up and they even processed and got us access over the weekend when I assumed we wouldn't hear back from them until Monday. Some audio glitches here or there, but overall a little something for everyone. I'm impressed with the length of the sessions, I thought the big names might do a 5 minute interview or something, but it seems to be the full session. Pretty cool.

My daughter has been enjoying these sessuons during this mandatory break. But i found myself chuckling today thinking that with these 3 separate hour long sessions and her gym coach doing 2 separate 90 minute conditioning sessions, gym is still pretty much taking up her life.

My daughter signed up and LOVES gym school. She and one of her teammates typically FaceTime and "watch" together. But each week she plans out which sessions she will participate in.

Those enjoying it, what ages are your kids? I thought it looked interesting, but not sure if my 9 year old would be into it.

Those enjoying it, what ages are your kids? I thought it looked interesting, but not sure if my 9 year old would be into it.

I think it depends on the kid. Mine is 8 and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as others. The first session had a lot of Tik Tok dances and she doesn't even know what Tik Tok is yet. She also had no interest in the talk only sessions. The workout ones were good but our gym hosts Zoom conditioning now and we utilized the Gotham Gymnastics videos so we didn't get a ton of value from Gym School. That said, I thought the sessions were great and offered a lot to some gymnasts. Just really depends on your child. (They did say the 2nd session would include more workouts but we didn't participate this time so can't say whether or not that is true.)

My daughter is 12. In the first couple of weeks when our gym had not yet started Zoom workouts, and we actually had very little communication from the gym - it was perfect. It helped her feel connected to the gymnastics community which is what I really wanted for her. Now that (on-line) school is back in full swing and she has zoom workouts with her team 5 days/week, she doesn't attend as many sessions. But she still enjoys many of the movement ones and because they often have some of the same NCAA/former Olympic speakers, she feels like she has "gotten to know them" which I think she really likes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back