Anyone else have little facial expressions or hand signals they use?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Because of this statement alone, I have to disagree with who ever can say the kids get distracted whatever...DD is quite focused and very darn determined for a seven year old. I can't say that I can think of a definite time that she has looked at me during a competition or at practice, etc. However, I know that if she does I ALWAYS wink at her. This child is my love; if she 'looks' at me, it is for a reason. She looked my way for a reason. I will be darned if I look away and not acknowledge her!
This is the same child that at 6 stayed at a hotel for a week with her teammates. She doesn't look for me for reassurance. She looks at me just because. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't express both verbally and non verbally my deep love towards my three children.
Deanna, you are right! There are certain things we Mommas and Daddys do to show our love to our children. However, in the same token when my DS is 'doing his thang...' my husband and I don't look his way. Why...because this kid puts far too much pressure on himself. Each kid is different. We as parents need to be in tune with that. But as for DD, we can smile, wink, and say "I love you." and she goes on as if we didn't. But she still needs to experience it.

That is why we are the parents. Not the coach! :) Love our babies!!!

Sorry Totally OT, Aunties love our babies too! I taught my two year old niece to "princess kiss" (kiss the back of a hand) this weekend. Now her mom will have to tell her preschool teachers why she keeps holding the back of her hand out to people.

If she ever competes hopfully I can give her a princess kiss before meets. Don't underestimate the love of family by choice.

Just my input as a gymnast, I never got distracted seeing my mom or sister or godfather or grandparents or cousins or whoever ended up at the meet. My family has always been huge to me, even more when I was really little because it was right when I lost my dad... But then again so is gymnastics and taking what I do well did, very seriously. Obviously every kid is different and some might get really thrown off but getting that extra sign (literally) of support was all it took to get me from a funk to making me remember I'm here because I love my family and I love gymnastics and it would always make me smile, whether I was 6 at my first L 4 meet or at L 10 Nats. :)

I was at a big meet and I forgot my floor routine. My first meet too! I froze, looked out into the crowd and by chance saw my mom. She gave me our 'I love you' sign, and for whatever reason it kind of "melted" my freeze and carried on. So it's not always bad :)

P.S- She would never do this just randomly! I think she knew I needed something to keep me going and it worked.

This isn't necessarily specific to gymnastics but my I love you symbol to my daughter is that I tap the side of my nose. Sometimes she needs to know it, but has reached the age where she pretends that her family is embarrassing. When I do it, the smile on her face is huge. I haven't had to come up with a special symbol with my boys yet, but whenever they do something they feel proud of they turn to find me and we exchange big thumbs up.

Well, I don't have any signals or anything but i have never been able to get super distracted my parents constantly choose to sit where best suits the floor and the beam (my favourite events) last weekend my grandma was watching and she was taking a photo and i was preparing for a back walkover when the flash went off (old people and their remedial technological skills :p ) and i managed to keep everything in check, im just glad it was me on the beam at the time :p Also at state we had two people competing at once (different levels) on beams next to each other but i didn't even notice it one bit so i think gymnasts are a little more focused than parents give them credit for

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back