Anyone else watching event finals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

These results from the 2008 Olymbic beam finals really shows the difference between then and now:
gold_w.gif
Gold
USA.gif
Shawn Johnson, United States 16.225
silver_b.gif
Silver
USA.gif
Nastia Liukin, United States 16.025
bronze_w.gif
Bronze
CHN.gif
Cheng Fei, China 15.950
RUS.gif
Anna Pavlova, Russia 15.900
ROU.gif
Gabriela Dragoi, Romania 15.625
CHN.gif
Li Shanshan, China 15.300
RUS.gif
Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 14.825
JPN.gif
Koko Tsurumi, Japan 14.450

This year's winners all scored in the 14's. There wasn't even a hint of a 16. Shows how amazing the whole field was in 2008.

How can you compare 2008 OLYMPIC beam finals to 2017 Worlds? Esp one right after the Olympics. Esp considering how many athletes are out or injured. Esp considering all the code changes....? Seems an odd comparison...

Jade looked amazing. Unfortunately she doesn't have enough dance difficulty and her artistry is lacking. Hopefully they'll give her some new (read: better) choreography. I thought Mai was amazing, though, and I'm glad she got her medal. Carey is still so new and fresh and I know she's only going to get better. She had a fantastic showing overall.

How can you compare 2008 OLYMPIC beam finals to 2017 Worlds? Esp one right after the Olympics. Esp considering how many athletes are out or injured. Esp considering all the code changes....? Seems an odd comparison...
Because I was thinking about past winners and scores and domination and how even Simone was scoring 15s, but no one was even close to that this time. Lots of people are talking about the messy/scary routines, sloppy routines, mistakes, inconsistencies, etc. And I thought about how in the past, huge wobbles on beam and falls and almost falls, and not stuck landings on every pass would never have medaled, even with the new code. Just because someone can throw these skills to pad their difficulty does not mean they are doing them well, yet they still are winning World medals. That's all. Just a thought to a time when gymnasts had to stick their landing, not stumble, not grab the beam and HIT 180 degree splints to win medals. I don't understand why you sound so incredulous that I was making a comparison.

Injuries are a part of gymnastics. No one knows that better than I do. They are heartbreaking and devastating. But you can't say "if only so-and-so hadn't of gotten hurt, _____ would have happened," or " ______ would have won." And my point was that even the 8th place back then scored the same scores as the 1st place now, so the ENTIRE field was amazing, even the "non-favorites." (which I hate it when before the meet even starts a winner has been chosen and crowned.)

I wonder is Jade will still go to Oregon State. I wonder if any of the other universities will try and get her
I don't know why she would go elsewhere. Signing day is about a month away, it would be pretty shady of another team to try to grab her. And usually by this point the kids have had enough contact with coaches and future teammates that they are pretty set on their selection. Plus Oregon State is a great school- academically, amazing location, great gym, and great coaches who- from everything I've heard- are incredible and positive people which isn't always a given in the world of NCAA gym.

Because I was thinking about past winners and scores and domination and how even Simone was scoring 15s, but no one was even close to that this time. Lots of people are talking about the messy/scary routines, sloppy routines, mistakes, inconsistencies, etc. And I thought about how in the past, huge wobbles on beam and falls and almost falls, and not stuck landings on every pass would never have medaled, even with the new code. Just because someone can throw these skills to pad their difficulty does not mean they are doing them well, yet they still are winning World medals. That's all. Just a thought to a time when gymnasts had to stick their landing, not stumble, not grab the beam and HIT 180 degree splints to win medals. I don't understand why you sound so incredulous that I was making a comparison.

Injuries are a part of gymnastics. No one knows that better than I do. They are heartbreaking and devastating. But you can't say "if only so-and-so hadn't of gotten hurt, _____ would have happened," or " ______ would have won." And my point was that even the 8th place back then scored the same scores as the 1st place now, so the ENTIRE field was amazing, even the "non-favorites." (which I hate it when before the meet even starts a winner has been chosen and crowned.)

I get what you mean. But to me, it's hard to compare the two events. This is the first Worlds following the 2016 Olympics. A lot of new athletes and a lot of athletes coming back from recovery or injuries. Nobody is at their peak. On the other hand, during Olympic finals....they are at their PEAK. (Or should be, at least). Plus with all the code changes and the devaluing of elements...it's hard to compare a 2008 score of 16....what would that equate to today? Significantly lower. I agree....there were tons of wobbles and tons of error. To get on the podium it ultimately came down to the highest E score. BUT...I still think they're vastly different events and it's not like they're better or worse gymnasts OVERALL compared to the 2008 olympians, if that's the point you were insinuating. Just at vastly different points of the timeline.

Jade looked amazing. Unfortunately she doesn't have enough dance difficulty and her artistry is lacking. Hopefully they'll give her some new (read: better) choreography. I thought Mai was amazing, though, and I'm glad she got her medal. Carey is still so new and fresh and I know she's only going to get better. She had a fantastic showing overall.
Yes this! And i hope she still goes to oregon state, honestly. The big schools have enough!

I don't know anything at all about MAG, but when Epke missed his left hand and kept on going one-handed, the crowd went crazy! I was on the fence about getting tickets for today's finals, but I am SO glad we did. My dd's favorite event of the week was men's HB.

I don't know anything at all about MAG, but when Epke missed his left hand and kept on going one-handed, the crowd went crazy! I was on the fence about getting tickets for today's finals, but I am SO glad we did. My dd's favorite event of the week was men's HB.
This might have been the save of the year. I honestly think this was the most epic one. Like they said in the Dutch commentary, it was about surviving. He absolutely did!

These results from the 2008 Olymbic beam finals really shows the difference between then and now:
gold_w.gif
Gold
USA.gif
Shawn Johnson, United States 16.225
silver_b.gif
Silver
USA.gif
Nastia Liukin, United States 16.025
bronze_w.gif
Bronze
CHN.gif
Cheng Fei, China 15.950
RUS.gif
Anna Pavlova, Russia 15.900
ROU.gif
Gabriela Dragoi, Romania 15.625
CHN.gif
Li Shanshan, China 15.300
RUS.gif
Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 14.825
JPN.gif
Koko Tsurumi, Japan 14.450

This year's winners all scored in the 14's. There wasn't even a hint of a 16. Shows how amazing the whole field was in 2008.
The rules were just different though. Truly, no way to compare different quads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back