Anyone else's gym has to be build up every training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Probably it isn't know with anyone else, but a lot of clubs in Holland, the smaller ones, don't have a proper training hall to go to. They have to build everything up, when there is a training. Was just wondering if anyone else's club has that?

That used to be a very normal thing...not so much anymore. You have to work with what you have.

My mom used to help with a gymnastics program at the local school. The equipment had to be set up every time.

There are some gyms that have permanent things, probably even more than I think, but it isn't in our town. I don't mind helping, if we are with enough parents and the girls help out too, we are done in like 15 minutes. We then have 1 proper uneven bars, 1 pegasus and spring board with a big mat behind it. Or mats on benches, instead of pegasus, 1 even bars, 2 beams on stands, 1 on floor, 2 long mats on top of each other and a tumbling mat. I think that is about it.

We used to , because the gym was only ours for three days a week. But for the last several years, it's been set up all the time(we got complete control of the gyms)

I am in Canada, I put up gym equipment 4 times a week at my daughters gym for 7 years. I can put up a sat of bars, a trampoline, a spring floor anything in fact! Until this year that is.... we finally have a permanent gym!!!!! This is our 2nd month, I feel totally unemployed, I also feel like I have lost s few hours of good cardio workout, gym equipment is heavy....

The sense of community that is developed amongst parents and coaches is huge when putting up the gym weekly. Dropping off the kids at the permanent gym is so much less personal.

I miss it, but I don't miss is it, if you know what I mean....

I am in Canada, I put up gym equipment 4 times a week at my daughters gym for 7 years. I can put up a sat of bars, a trampoline, a spring floor anything in fact! Until this year that is.... we finally have a permanent gym!!!!! This is our 2nd month, I feel totally unemployed, I also feel like I have lost s few hours of good cardio workout, gym equipment is heavy....

The sense of community that is developed amongst parents and coaches is huge when putting up the gym weekly. Dropping off the kids at the permanent gym is so much less personal.

I miss it, but I don't miss is it, if you know what I mean....

I know what you mean. I don't mind the building up. It does give you an exercise.:D And you have contact with the trainer and other parents. We are off in a minute now, and usually I stay to watch on Saturdays. So that is nice.

I'm impressed!

wow, putting up the equipment at every practice?? I have to admit that sounds like a true love/commitment to the sport! I can't even imagine... but it sounds great that it can create such a positive environment and connection between everyone.:D

wow, putting up the equipment at every practice?? I have to admit that sounds like a true love/commitment to the sport! I can't even imagine... but it sounds great that it can create such a positive environment and connection between everyone.:D

And of course we don't practice 4/5 times a week, I am sure that helps too.:p Only have to on Thursdays and Saturdays. My daughter doesn't always like to have to do it, but it is part of doing gymnastics. In the Summer she will be spoiled, when she goes on a 5 day camp and use a proper gym.:)

I have never done that, but we are in the process of actually building a new gym. I helped install the spring floor and have been helping to drywall, paint, etc. We are getting all new equipment, which is really exciting. Our parents group is very closeknit. Of course, there are a few who are annoying, but there will always be those parents in any group.

I have never done that, but we are in the process of actually building a new gym. I helped install the spring floor and have been helping to drywall, paint, etc. We are getting all new equipment, which is really exciting. Our parents group is very closeknit. Of course, there are a few who are annoying, but there will always be those parents in any group.

I have just gone through that, building the spring floor had us all in tears, it was sooooo complicated. We had put up tumbling strips before, but never a full floor. It has been great for the gymnasts though as they have never been on full floors until they get to the real meets, then they have a hard time using all the room properly. The gyproc dust has finally left the gym to be replaced by chalk dust! We have a few parents who are great volunteers, they are the ones who have put the equipment up for 7 years, and then there are those who just want to drop off their kids and leave. They are also the ones who complain about paying their fees.:eek: Good luck in the new gym, though now we parents do not see so much of each other, no veiwing space and no equipment to deal with!

We had to do that at the gym I started gymnastics in- it wasn't a gym as such it was a sports hall in the sports centre.

I think its the reason I have quite solid tumbling and beam work- you had to stay on your feet at all cost because the mats were rock solid and slipped everywhere and there was so little space the mats for beam and floor ended about a centimetre from the wall lol.

Last edited:
I'm glad this got bumped! So happy to know we're not the only ones who deal with this. We actually just rent an elementary school gym 3 evenings a week. 2 days / week the first class sets up once a week the 2 coaches set up ourselves. We have 2 beams, wall bars, 2 horse style vaults which we never use anymore :), a couple crash mats and 28 individual velcro mats which make up our floor. We never set up everything at a time though, always floor and then either bars or beam.

Yup we set up and clean up. SO that means no pitts or anything for us. If it can't be taken apart to be stored we can't have it.so like gymkitten08 said (same gym) people are playing basketball on the other side of the gym as we practice. We only get half the gym. NOT COOL!

Yup we set up and clean up. SO that means no pitts or anything for us. If it can't be taken apart to be stored we can't have it.so like gymkitten08 said (same gym) people are playing basketball on the other side of the gym as we practice. We only get half the gym. NOT COOL!

It's so annoying when they won't shut up while they're playing! Our CD player broke once so we had to use another one until it got fixed, and you couldn't hear your music because all these big stupid guys start screaming like little girls!!!

It's so annoying when they won't shut up while they're playing! Our CD player broke once so we had to use another one until it got fixed, and you couldn't hear your music because all these big stupid guys start screaming like little girls!!!

And gymnasts never talk when they practice? ;)

our 'gym' is in a local hall which we only have a few days a week. We have to set everything up and then pack it away again each time.
We have a vault, a sprung strip, a non sprung strip, a double mini tramp, one set of bars, 2 high beams, a low beam and a floor beam. plus a whole heaps of mats and boxes etc. the hall is tiny and everything needs to be set up just so, so that it all fits in! It is definitely an art!!

the hall with no equipment:
Bentleigh_McKinnon_Youth_Centre_Sta.jpg

(our floor beam goes on the stage!)

the vault/floor
May13200836-2.jpg

beam/bars
DSC03470-1.jpg

On saturday morning when our top group sets up the whole gym (i.e. everything gets put out) it takes about half an hour! plus then towards the end of the class we have to put away the sprung floor and change a couple of other things around before the little kids come in which takes about another 20 minutes
I have been doing this for well over 10 years and I am sooo sick of it! :(:( I would love to have a fully set up gym!!

Lol well I'll admit we talked but we never shouted! And we never smacked a ball off walls and floors at 100 miles per hour for an hour solid!

But I bet they don't flip and do backhandsprings down the court either!

Basketball, being a team sport, means that the kids on the team have to communicate to each other in order to make the plays. So there will probably always be some shouting. I'm sure it can be quite distracting when you are trying to do gym tho!

We have basketball players trying to see who can throw their ball over to our side to see if they can hit us maybe? Or maybe cuz its a bunch of teen age girls in leotards that they want to see? LOL. And then they hit the curtain thing and it knocks our spring boards over and they almost or do hit people. fun times!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back