WAG Anyone following what is happening with USAG?!?! (Rhonda Faehn asked to resign)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

the kids are not being "selfish". they are just being teenagers trying to stand their ground, perhaps at the moment lacking the perspective needed to evaluate the bigger picture. i teach year 5-13, this is very normal behavior for this age group. we should be proud of them for standing up to USAG and someone close to them should talk to them about the big picture.

also - having been a teenager in elite sports myself - it is way to much to think these kids should not be focused on their own success all in a sudden because whatever. being "selfish" as in "i do everything in my power to keep training" is what makes them successful in the first place, it is an admirably quality. usually we call this "toughness" and "commitment" and the like.

moreover kids train usually for the people they like. their coach is very, very, very important to them on a personal level. seeing him or her being forced to leave will cause protest. this means the coach has done at least some things right in interacting with these teenage athletes.

I think the situation is larger than I can grasp. MSU settling to me means USAG is on the hook, will they also offer a settlement or file bankruptcy? I read that bankruptcy may happen this morning.

A coach who does not follow up on sexual abuse allegations is not an adult worthy of the position.

A team girl choosing not to train is using her voice, hopefully, hope each athlete has an adult they trust who is assisting them to understand and navigate the consequences. All actions have consequences some may be good and some may be bad. Hopefully, each athlete is being allowed to do whatever SHE wants when it comes to training.

As for the timing of the request to step down, I can not begin to understand the circumstances behind the scenes. If I had to venture a guess I would stay this is the USAG's last stand. I worry that the scramble this summer for a governing body of gymnastics will be something to witness.

Email from USAG just now makes no mention of specifically firing Faehn, just that "we are transforming our culture" and "change can sometimes be difficult for some" blah blah.

Between this and the proposed new date for nationals it's very apparent that USAG is not , repeat not thinking at all about the kids. Kerry is trying to run a business at this point, there is much more news to come .

Between this and the proposed new date for nationals it's very apparent that USAG is not , repeat not thinking at all about the kids. Kerry is trying to run a business at this point, there is much more news to come .
What is the "proposed new date for nationals"? Thanks.

Question: if Rhonda Faehn is culpable for not reporting potential abuse to law enforcement (instead of just going up the change of command), is Maggie's coach also responsible ? she went to Rhonda instead of the authority? How about Maggie's parents - particularly father, who is a physician, a mandatory reporter of potential abuse - they were apparently pressured to believe that USAG would investigate appropriately so they also did not go directly to police.I'm inclined to believe that at the time, each thought they were doing the right thing. In retrospect, more should have been done.

I understand that the coaches decided that training was not safe for their gymnasts after USAG decided to deliver their ultimatum during camp.

Incredibly poor timing by USAG. Again.

Let’s not blame the gymnasts again. Once more they are in the middle of a USAG s.hit storm.

I think the timing wasn't well thought out but the decision was correct, Rhonda needed to go. Whether or not Kerry Perry stays could also be an issue.
In terms of the current elite crop and their training, they get the bulk of that in their home gyms... and the system needed to be changed moving forward to ensure the safety of gymnasts in years to come. It's tough for those there now to see that these things need to happen and disrupt their training but I would rather my daughter's training be disrupted, than unsafe. It's almost like USAG has to be burnt to the ground and a new, safe organization, mind set and culture needs to rise from the ashes and be better.

Piece in the link has many good points.

Years ago, one of the wisest pieces of advice I ever read on parenting, “Don’t worry that your children aren’t listening, worry that they are always watching.” Best way to teach others is by role modeling. In this case, teaching how to empower athletes, listen to athletes, and respect athletes. Lead by example.

I know that CEOs sometimes make wildly unpopular decisions that are truly for the long-term best interest of the business. Decisions that, in saving the company, the CEO jeopardizes their own job. These can be very tough decisions. Not enough information yet for me to ascertain if this is the case with the firing of Rhonda.

Just saying, I’m still of the camp: help the new CEO be successful by giving suggestions, instead of shredding her to pieces. Any new CEO (current or future) will need help and suggestions.

My next suggestions for Kerry Perry:

Meet individually with each one of the National Team members, with their coaches and parents at the same time. Apologize to the athletes for disrupting their training. Let them know how important each one of them are.

These National Team athletes are at the top echelon of the sport. They represent our country. You need their support and the support of their coaches and parents. Communicate your sincere respect of each of them - in person. Give them your direct phone number to call – anytime. Let the National Team members, coaches, and parents know that you want to hear from them. You are ready to listen, learn, and change. By doing so, you lead the organization to do the same.

I think the timing wasn't well thought out but the decision was correct, Rhonda needed to go. Whether or not Kerry Perry stays could also be an issue.
In terms of the current elite crop and their training, they get the bulk of that in their home gyms... and the system needed to be changed moving forward to ensure the safety of gymnasts in years to come. It's tough for those there now to see that these things need to happen and disrupt their training but I would rather my daughter's training be disrupted, than unsafe. It's almost like USAG has to be burnt to the ground and a new, safe organization, mind set and culture needs to rise from the ashes and be better.

I think the truth is in the @bookworm quote. Some are up in arms that Rhonda was removed but in reality, the USAG needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It is painful to remove individuals, but without change, the USAG will have no chance of survival. If the USAG does survive it must look completely different on the other side. I personally feel that too much has openly happened and too much is unknown about what transpired behind closed doors, I think a new organization will be born from need. I hope that organization is watching and learning what not to do. I hope all the national level athletes keep training hard at their home gyms and I hope that they begin to see the true success of USA gymnastics is their hard work, not an organization.

Reactionary publicity stunt, IMO. I'm not saying one way or the other whether Rhonda should be fired. But the way this was handled was absolutely ridiculous. Wait 3 years and then fire her during the middle of the first real camp they've had in 6 months? Seriously? Perry wants to be able to walk into the congressional hearing next week and be like, "See what *I* have done? See how awesome *I* am?" Unless she herself was actually abusing a gymnast at that very minute, there is no reason this couldn't have waited a day or two. You wait 3 years, but all of the sudden time is of the essence and you can't put it off for 1 day? *rolls eyes*

It angers me that people are trying to silence the current NT members and/or the survivors (and some are both, probably more than we know). They ALL get to have a voice and should not be stifled. My god, have we not learned ANYTHING in the last 3 years??? UGH.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back