Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kids were set to go back to in person 5 days a week on Aug 24th, and then their district and the other larger district here about faced and switched to virtual until at least mid Oct.
No one knows how full time online school is going to work for K-12 and the district has given zero details, besides stating they will take attendance and that the kids will have ‘live’ instruction every day. I have a Kindergartner, 2nd grader and 5th grader. I am pulling my Kindergartener and fully homeschooling her for a year- nothing about online school is best practice for lower el, especially Kindergarten and I have a teaching background so we are just going to do our own thing with her.
Parents are now scrambling to find school ‘pods’ to have their kids work in, daycare options, scraping up money to have full time care when they didn’t think they needed to. It’s a mess here right now.
There are still several smaller school districts in the outlying cities who are heading back 5 full days- many of my daughters teammates go to these schools, so we will see how it goes for them. Private schools here in town are also all going back.
For reference, we have about 100 current active cases, in a county of about 170,000.

Remote learning haa yet to be defined for us in our district. Will it be 'live' or pre recorded or like our existing E-learning format that you can do when ever.....they haven't said. yet. School starts September 9 for us.

Pretty much everyone here wear masks in public inside. Some don’t agree with it, but I work in a grocery store and I only see MAYBE one person in the store each day without one.

I work in grocery as well. We had a few people that were here a fit in the early days, but everyone wears mask now in public. We can't legally serve them at the register if they don't have one on.

I can tell by what people bought in the last month, lots of backyard parties! So our numbers went up despite public mask wearing.

How are they going to dissect a frog from home? Lol!
Last year, YG was a freshman. The teacher did the frog dissection on zoom - they could watch live or watch the recording later.
There are also virtual frog dissections available online! :)

Lol, back when I was in biology, while I was pinning down the last foot, my lab partner accidentally cut our frog in HALF - like completely in half. He was only supposed to be getting ready to make a shallow incision from the neck to the other end. Now that I got to watch YG's teacher do the dissection, maybe I would score better on my Bio final exam (a diagram of a frog that we had to label was 50% of the grade).

So, teachers have been in building in one district here for 5 days. 2 buildings already have some form of quarantine going on. One is just one "team" of people, so it is 5-6 people. THe other is the whole school. They are all at home waiting for the test results of the person that is ill.

Remote learning haa yet to be defined for us in our district. Will it be 'live' or pre recorded or like our existing E-learning format that you can do when ever.....they haven't said. yet. School starts September 9 for us.

We received an email last night- for elementary they are expected to be doing ‘school’ online from 7:45-2:15, Monday through Friday. They are planning for 2.5 hours of instruction with a teacher/small groups online and 2.5 hours of work for kids to do on their own. 50 mins in the middle of the day for lunch. Every teacher will have a slightly different schedule, and we will receive the specific details from teachers on Aug 21st.
Since the tablets and chromebooks for elementary did not come in, they are asking if you have use/access to your own technology, to use that. I purchased 2 chromebooks last night to make sure my kids have something to start the school year with.

You can’t SERVE them!! Oh my blankety-blank! I’m sorry, what
is this, a communist country??
Sorry, I just can’t with all this. Don’t worry, I won’t comment again.
Surely you’re equally angry that you cannot shop without shoes, or topless? Because any rule at all- even for the safety of the workers and the public- that dictates what you have to wear is communist?

You can’t SERVE them!! Oh my blankety-blank! I’m sorry, what
is this, a communist country??
Sorry, I just can’t with all this. Don’t worry, I won’t comment again.
See here is the thing. Folks have every right not to wear a mask. And other folks have every right not to let you in to their place of business if you don't.

Freedom is a 2 way street.

Pretty much everyone here wear masks in public inside. Some don’t agree with it, but I work in a grocery store and I only see MAYBE one person in the store each day without one.
I find many wear masks, very few actually use them properly. Lots of noses hanging out, or they are down around their necks.

Kids are better then the grown ups.

It is not going well in Cherokee County, GA. One high school had to quarantine 12.5 percent of its students, then close, within a week after opening.

It is not going well in Cherokee County, GA. One high school had to quarantine 12.5 percent of its students, then close, within a week after opening.

And we really dont know a lot about it. Or how it’s playing out.

Whats the breakdown of cases? Is it specific cluster? Ages. Serverity of illness, are they sick at all? Are they even all positives or are some false positive?

oh and to note the district has 42, 000 students and close to 6000 employees
thats 0.12% positive

Whats the breakdown of cases? Is it specific cluster? Ages. Serverity of illness, are they sick at all? Are they even all positives or are some false positive?

oh and to note the district has 42, 000 students and close to 6000 employees
thats 0.12% positive
The 12.5% was referring to just ONE school in the district. "about 300 of the school's 2,400 students, or 12.5%, were under quarantine."

The 12.5% was referring to just ONE school in the district. "about 300 of the school's 2,400 students, or 12.5%, were under quarantine."
Yes and considering the whole districy (as the headline leads with) then it’s 0.125 %.

If one kid in my daughters class is positive at 50% capacity that’s 1 in 12, that’s 8 %. Percentage is cut when you factor her whole grade, cut more when you cut by her 4 grade school and even more by the distric. Perspective matters

Hopefully, those students/teachers will not end up with a severe illness or pass things to their families. But, from a pure education perspective, I can't help but think how difficult it will be for schools/students/classes that are in and then out, back in the class and then home in quarantine (even if not sick - but still for the good of public health). The lack of continuity has me really nervous for this academic year.

But, from a pure education perspective, I can't help but think how difficult it will be for schools/students/classes that are in and then out, back in the class and then home in quarantine (even if not sick - but still for the good of public health). The lack of continuity has me really nervous for this academic year.

I think this is a big reason that 40% of our district opted for full-time at-home learning. Even people who aren't worried about the health risks are worried about continuity of instruction for the in-person program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back