Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What I said was that it is not accurate to describe the school outbreak quarantines as caution

From the district website

Our process is confirm, contact trace, notify those who need to quarantine, send out schoolwide notification, and then list current (not cumulative) totals to this page every Friday. Also, please note that the counts include positive cases only, not precautionary quarantines.

There is a difference between actual exposure and the reason for a quarantine.

There are in fact, quarantines that are put in place as a precaution.

Precautionary quarantines are in fact a real thing. They are the right thing to do. And they are not necessarily related to direct exposure. All of that is accurate (true).

The US is a very large country. This is why there is no one size fits all.

The perception is the whole country like the states with a current high number of cases.

There are 14 states where the positive rate is less than 5%

There are 15 states with a positive rate less than 8%

Another 7 with positive rates between 8-10%

6 states less than 12%

6 States higher than 12%, only 1 state in the 20s, 3 over 15 but under 18%
Wow, only 28% of states in the US are under 5% positivity?! That’s even worse than I thought.

From the district website

Our process is confirm, contact trace, notify those who need to quarantine, send out schoolwide notification, and then list current (not cumulative) totals to this page every Friday. Also, please note that the counts include positive cases only, not precautionary quarantines.

There is a difference between actual exposure and the reason for a quarantine.

There are in fact, quarantines that are put in place as a precaution.

Precautionary quarantines are in fact a real thing. They are the right thing to do. And they are not necessarily related to direct exposure. All of that is accurate (true).

It's so incredibly frustrating interacting with you. Whether or not you think kinds should be in school, the reality is they will not be. Why do you post stuff that contradicts that. You make no sense.

the reality is they will not be.

So you are believe there will be no in the building school, anywhere in the US? I am not contradicting. I am just not clear on what you mean.

And I am not necessarily disagreeing either. I think many places will end up all remote. As I said way up thread, I think my district (and state will likely end up there). For many reasons, not all related to actual science/data

So you are believe there will be no in the building school, anywhere in the US? I am not contradicting. I am just not clear on what you mean.

And I am not necessarily disagreeing either. I think many places will end up all remote. As I said way up thread, I think my district (and state will likely end up there). For many reasons, not all related to actual science/data

there will definitely be people going back in person. Most private schools will go that route. But the population in the US is very concentrated around urban areas and those 9 schools districts I mentioned accounts for several million students. Rural school districts in some areas will likely be fine in person, but a lot of these places have NO IDEA what they are doing. In Georgia, we have 156 counties some of which have just a few thousand people but rampant Covid. They don't have the resources to come up with a safe reopening plan and will likely be in person without restrictions and it will be a complete sh*tshow. I actually think our district could pull off hybrid instruction because despite being in an urban area, our numbers are OK. But teachers don't want to go back, and the logistics about hybrid seem to complex for the district so it is all online.

the logistics about hybrid seem to complex for the district so it is all online.
This is our district‘s problem. I honestly think they are trying the best they can, but it’s a logistic nightmare. We start in 3&1/2 weeks and they still have no idea how it’s going to work. Puma is used to seeing five different groups of kids (two APUSH and three sociology) every other day for 80 minutes. Now, he’ll see kids in person M, T, Th, F, but he‘ll only see each particular child once every other week. Plus he will have a few who chose online only. So what do the other days look like? Online live? Certain times? Taped lessons? Online self-paced? How often? How much? And as much as they try to keep it paced the same, sometimes one group gets slightly ahead of another. So an online to all lecture on Wednesdays might not work. And he normally does a lot of group work/discussions/ect rather than lecture. The teachers are aware that the kids all have several other classes too, so what if another teacher is going live at the same time? What about science labs which are usually every 4th day? We have over 2000 kids in our 10-12 high school building, and most electives have multiple grades in the same class. Also, a lot of families might need older kids to watch younger kids while trying to do school work. We took like an hour long walk the other day, and for every “What if they did this?” we ended up with a “but then how would they do that?....” Obviously we will figure it out and it will be fine, but it seems daunting right now.

To me, I think this is the critical part. I think so many people say things like "why can't we just open - but in a safe way - like Australia has". But, the fundamental difference is the significantly lower community spread. Interesting to hear that you ARE closing schools once the testing percentages get that "high". So there may be some places in the US that could safely open and replicate this - which is great! But, the vast majority of the US is still a lot higher than this.
I am in the State right next to JessSyd ( In Australia) and our situation is quite different. We have only had 1 community transmitted case in our State since May. The borders around many Australian States are closed, so if one State has a problem the next is okay. We still have restrictions to prevent spread if a case does get in, but life feels very normal here.

Our schools are fully open, they reopened May 25th and have remained open since. There is no social distancing, there are no masks. The kids are playing sport, singing in choirs, going on excursions, going on school camp, have normal start and finish times, normal assemblies etc.

Parents are asked not to enter the school grounds, which is unusual in Australian schools. We don’t have school buses in our country, parents usually just drive kids to school. They clean more than usual and have lots of hand sanitizer. Other than that school is normal.

I am so jealous of QLD right now! Much of my extended family is up there and of course I can not see them becase the border is shut. My nieces and nephews are living life nearly as normal whereas my daughters have had some milestone events cancelled, the younger one’s gym is open, then closed, then open, then closed. So jealous.

It is nice though that most of the country is Covid free. Gives us plague ridden states hope!

In Georgia, we have 156 counties some of which have just a few thousand people but rampant Covid. They don't have the resources to come up with a safe reopening plan and will likely be in person without restrictions and it will be a complete sh*tshow. I actually think our district could pull off hybrid instruction because despite being in an urban area, our numbers are OK. But teachers don't want to go back, and the logistics about hybrid seem to complex for the district so it is all online.

Got it you are speaking about your area.

I am very consistent that when I speak of anything Covid related, it is with mitigation and based on recommended safety guidelines. Our state has a very different situation currently. And it’s even more varied depending on the county.

Our county infection rate is under 1%. We have lots of testing. NY is still sadly leading in the number of deaths. Yet there are many counties that had less then 100 cases total to date. With many days of no new cases. I’m sure there are many areas of this vast country with few to no cases.

Its simply not all or nothing.

So yes I think schools can open here. and it can be safely. There are places were it can happen. And also won’t be surprised if that changes. Either for an uptick of cases, or more likely reasons unrelated to science/data.

And yes there are certainly areas that perhaps should take it much slower and keep it remote for the time being.,

I am in the State right next to JessSyd ( In Australia) and our situation is quite different. We have only had 1 community transmitted case in our State since May. The borders around many Australian States are closed, so if one State has a problem the next is okay. We still have restrictions to prevent spread if a case does get in, but life feels very normal here.

Our schools are fully open, they reopened May 25th and have remained open since. There is no social distancing, there are no masks. The kids are playing sport, singing in choirs, going on excursions, going on school camp, have normal start and finish times, normal assemblies etc.

Parents are asked not to enter the school grounds, which is unusual in Australian schools. We don’t have school buses in our country, parents usually just drive kids to school. They clean more than usual and have lots of hand sanitizer. Other than that school is normal.
Very happy for you.

I think if had closed all our borders first. Then spent more time limiting extended travel and less closing local things we would of been in better shape.

This is our district‘s problem. I honestly think they are trying the best they can, but it’s a logistic nightmare.

And what ticks me off more then any thing is, this started in March. It was clear in the beginning of May this wasn’t just disappearing. That’s when they should of started seriously working on plans. Better to have a plan and not need it. That our governor waited until July.... I could spit nails.... July 13th is when the districts got 145 pages of “guidance”

Very happy for you.

I think if had closed all our borders first. Then spent more time limiting extended travel and less closing local things we would of been in better shape.
It does appear that border closures have been the single most significant factor in keeping us COVID free.

It does appear that border closures have been the single most significant factor in keeping us COVID free.
When the US shutdown some travel. I sat on the couch looked at my husband and said everyone should be shutting down all travel. That should of been the first step. It was the most important step. But folks were too worried about offending people. The difference between the West Coast and East Coast. One had doors closed.

I remember reading the Hot Zone back in the 90s. As travel became easier, as we became a global society so do viruses. No one closed the doors in time and here we are.

Got it you are speaking about your area.

I am very consistent that when I speak of anything Covid related, it is with mitigation and based on recommended safety guidelines. Our state has a very different situation currently. And it’s even more varied depending on the county.

Our county infection rate is under 1%. We have lots of testing. NY is still sadly leading in the number of deaths. Yet there are many counties that had less then 100 cases total to date. With many days of no new cases. I’m sure there are many areas of this vast country with few to no cases.

Its simply not all or nothing.

So yes I think schools can open here. and it can be safely. There are places were it can happen. And also won’t be surprised if that changes. Either for an uptick of cases, or more likely reasons unrelated to science/data.

And yes there are certainly areas that perhaps should take it much slower and keep it remote for the time being.,

So CI totally agree with you regarding counties in NY. Schools can open safely but not at 100% capacity. Cherokee County, Ga opening in person is officially a failed experiment. A third HS is now closed with 25 positive cases and 1,000 potentially exposed quarantining.

We are at 3% in Colorado but the tourists keep coming. This is the first year ever I’m looking forward to cold so that it freezes out the wimpier tourists. . Our schools are online for the next 2 months, but you has to choose between eventual possible hybrid or all online for the semester. Once you choose online you are locked in but you can move from hybrid to online anytime. People in my county at least are pretty compliant with the mask order. This is a horrible situation; I have my doubts about whether we will go back at all this semester. I am fortunate that my husband is working from home and I have older kids who can also help my elementary kid.

So CI totally agree with you regarding counties in NY. Schools can open safely but not at 100% capacity. Cherokee County, Ga opening in person is officially a failed experiment. A third HS is now closed with 25 positive cases and 1,000 potentially exposed quarantining.
I wouldn’t call it failed yet... it hasn’t played out yet. Time will tell.

They may get those cases quickly managed. That was the actual point of this. Manage any outbreaks. It was never about 0 cases that’s not happening

They might all be back in 2 weeks and be just fine

We are at 3% in Colorado but the tourists keep coming. This is the first year ever I’m looking forward to cold so that it freezes out the wimpier tourists. . Our schools are online for the next 2 months, but you has to choose between eventual possible hybrid or all online for the semester. Once you choose online you are locked in but you can move from hybrid to online anytime. People in my county at least are pretty compliant with the mask order. This is a horrible situation; I have my doubts about whether we will go back at all this semester. I am fortunate that my husband is working from home and I have older kids who can also help my elementary kid.
You must be in the Denver area. Our Colorado county is just below 6% and many kids are going back in person tomorrow. Masks are required for ages 10 and up. My own kids’ school is having elementary in full day and high school half day/hybrid. Of course I have one of each. It’s a transportation nightmare on top of the public health issues. I wish they’d close them again.

And my district just pushed back a sound hybrid plan a month. No logical reason. No additional mitigation or plan for the 4 weeks. Livid doesn't begin to cover it. At this point lets do waivers. I respect everyones right to stay home. And I expect the same respect with regards to getting out with reasonable mitigation. Give me us a waiver and lets get

And my district just pushed back a sound hybrid plan a month. No logical reason. No additional mitigation or plan for the 4 weeks. Livid doesn't begin to cover it. At this point lets do waivers. I respect everyones right to stay home. And I expect the same respect with regards to getting out with reasonable mitigation. Give me us a waiver and lets get
Cases in our county 0.8% 5 day rolling average.

I know that is so frustrating. I am sure there is a reason. I hope they get back with more information.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back