Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
My kids start back 4 days a week in person in two weeks and have to wear masks all day, obviously. The school made parents commit to all virtual or a hybrid of in-person/virtual last week and only 40% wanted the hybrid option, so they are actually letting our kids go 4 days since there is enough space for them to spread out. I'm happy for them but also super nervous. Has anyone sent their kids back in person? How is it going so far? Are they able to keep a mask on all day? If so, what kind are you using? Ugh.

I am very interested to hear about people that are going back to school. We don't start until September. There is a Zoom meeting for the high school tonight.

Our district just decided to start virtually, so I am interested to hear about in-person starts!

For us everyone is starting virtual for the first two weeks and then there is a choice to stay virtual or move to in-person which will begin in a hybrid format. No details have been release as to how any of this will work. We start after Labor Day.

Our district delayed starting by a few weeks so the current plan is to start virtually on September 8th with in person beginning on October 19th but that could change. I’m not sure if there will be a year around virtual option or not.

Here in Australia there was never the option. When schools were shut everyone was taught online, when they reopened the online options were dropped. If parents chose not to send their kids back to school, they were on their own.

In my State Schools were closed for 6 weeks back in April/May for 2nd-10th Grade. They were shut for 4 weeks for other Grades. Our situation was a little different because the school year runs from Jan-Dec, so we are still in the middle of the school year.

The big significantissue teachers and schools faced was that everyone did their home school to a different degree.

Some kids really flew with Home School, completed all their work, plus a lot of extra work. While other kids did nothing at all and didn’t even sign into school the whole time. Then you had everything in between.

This presented a new challenge to teachers as everyone was now in a totally different place.

At this point, we are planning to start Sept 8 with 5 days in class ... unless our county moves to "Level 2" AND it includes cases in our district.
IF we are at Level 2, it will be hybrid (2 in school, 3 at home) ... but the teachers will still have to go into the school and do their virtual classes from the school.

... but the teachers will still have to go into the school and do their virtual classes from the school.

ahh. this is a "But the teachers will GET to go into the school."

That was the most exciting part of training yesterday....learning that we can teach from our classrooms or from home. all of my materials are at school. That will make my life so much easier!

That was the most exciting part of training yesterday....learning that we can teach from our classrooms or from home. all of my materials are at school. That will make my life so much easier!
So you get a CHOICE. There are teachers in my district that would LOVE having the option because they would rather teach from home if the kids are home because they can't bring their kids to school on those days. They are scrambling to find care for their schoolage children on days the kids are home but they aren't.
It will be great being at the school for those who don't have young kids of their own ... but for those with little ones, some of them are actually almost hoping we would go from "level 1" (or maybe "level 2" - hybrid, and skip over "level 3" - students fully online / teachers in the buildings) straight to level 4 - everyone online from home.

I definitely can see where that would be much easier for you guys! Throwing out a different perspective, Puma and many of his co-workers feel the opposite. Our district’s plan at this point is for kids grades 8-12 to go one set day a week and the rest online (we are NY, so still waiting for the State’s guidelines before decisions are final). So the teachers are in the building all five days and exposed to different kids every day. Many are questioning if maximum exposure for teachers worth it for the kids to be there only once a week. And it’s still block scheduling, so the kids have periods 1-4 one week and 5-8 the next. He will see each group of kids twice a month, yet he is there every day. As a parent, I’m conflicted. I totally see their point, but I do feel like my kids would benefit from even some tiny sense of normalcy/structure? But most parents and teachers alike here are thinking we might shut down and be 100% virtual anyway at some point into the fall/winter....I don’t know! There are seriously no good answers....

I definitely can see where that would be much easier for you guys! Throwing out a different perspective, Puma and many of his co-workers feel the opposite. Our district’s plan at this point is for kids grades 8-12 to go one set day a week and the rest online (we are NY, so still waiting for the State’s guidelines before decisions are final). So the teachers are in the building all five days and exposed to different kids every day. Many are questioning if maximum exposure for teachers worth it for the kids to be there only once a week. And it’s still block scheduling, so the kids have periods 1-4 one week and 5-8 the next. He will see each group of kids twice a month, yet he is there every day. As a parent, I’m conflicted. I totally see their point, but I do feel like my kids would benefit from even some tiny sense of normalcy/structure? But most parents and teachers alike here are thinking we might shut down and be 100% virtual anyway at some point into the fall/winter....I don’t know! There are seriously no good answers....

That is nuts! One in-person class meeting every other week doesn't seem worth the exposure risk to students and especially to teachers.

So you get a CHOICE. There are teachers in my district that would LOVE having the option because they would rather teach from home if the kids are home because they can't bring their kids to school on those days. They are scrambling to find care for their schoolage children on days the kids are home but they aren't.
It will be great being at the school for those who don't have young kids of their own ... but for those with little ones, some of them are actually almost hoping we would go from "level 1" (or maybe "level 2" - hybrid, and skip over "level 3" - students fully online / teachers in the buildings) straight to level 4 - everyone online from home.

Yeah. i can see that, although even our teachers with young children were excited. lol

Forgive me for saying this, but that scenario above sounds like a complete sh*t show!

Forgive me for saying this, but that scenario above sounds like a complete sh*t show!
Oh, it is.... no one is happy. We have a huge district, so think it’s the best they can do? Unless we just stay 100% virtual, which I must admit is probably the right decision...(even though I also admit selfishly I dread that...o_O)

ETA: if anyone is wondering, our K-7 would go two set days each, and special needs kids go all five days. It’s a logistic nightmare and I do not envy those in charge of figuring it out...

My kids were set to go back to in person 5 days a week on Aug 24th, and then their district and the other larger district here about faced and switched to virtual until at least mid Oct.
No one knows how full time online school is going to work for K-12 and the district has given zero details, besides stating they will take attendance and that the kids will have ‘live’ instruction every day. I have a Kindergartner, 2nd grader and 5th grader. I am pulling my Kindergartener and fully homeschooling her for a year- nothing about online school is best practice for lower el, especially Kindergarten and I have a teaching background so we are just going to do our own thing with her.
Parents are now scrambling to find school ‘pods’ to have their kids work in, daycare options, scraping up money to have full time care when they didn’t think they needed to. It’s a mess here right now.
There are still several smaller school districts in the outlying cities who are heading back 5 full days- many of my daughters teammates go to these schools, so we will see how it goes for them. Private schools here in town are also all going back.
For reference, we have about 100 current active cases, in a county of about 170,000.

If I had my choice, the kids would all go to school like normal. It’s high time life got back to normal too.

That’s exactly what’s happening in Georgia.

You can’t just decree that life go back to normal. It will never go back to normal until we have the virus under control and people feel safe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back