Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Schools opened here in the end of May. They had 2 weeks of school and then summer vacation started. The cases didn't go up after that. No one got infected at school as far as I know. At least there has not been headlines about new cases in schools.

Now that the summer vacation is over schools are starting in two days. No masks required.

I hope that the second wave isn't hitting us too hard.

We are in the Europe.

2 weeks until our ‘start’ date and we are now hearing that the chromebooks and tablets promised to every student to facilitate online learning are back ordered until October. Awesome. 13,000 students in our district and affordable technology is impossible to find right now. I see another March like mess coming our way. I am beyond frustrated.
Again. We are at a rolling 7 day % positive of 1.9%- one person in the county is currently hospitalized due to covid- what percentage is low ‘enough’ to resume schools?

We are at a rolling 7 day % positive of 1.9%- one person in the county is currently hospitalized due to covid- what percentage is low ‘enough’ to resume schools?
NY said less than 5%, but I’m not sure if that’s the standard.

NY said less than 5%, but I’m not sure if that’s the standard.
Our state- Illinois, is still below 5% rolling average as a whole and other school districts in my county and many other counties are opening. The state is leaving it up to the schools it seems, the governor has talked about bars and restaurants closing but not schools. Chicago Public Schools ( 350,000 ish students) is going fully online also.
I’m just really disappointed that parents are left scrambling and panicking last minute because the ‘plan’ was reversed. :( Kids too- this has been hard on them.

The district we are in is starting virtual next week. The county closest to us has gone back to in person, and that's gone about how you'd expect.

My issue overall, is that of course we all WANT to get back to normal, no one likes the mess that we are in. I don't like that I haven't been in a store since early March, or that my daughter can't practice with the rest of her teammates due to a very, very high risk family member. We don't like that we can't hang out with our friends. We WANT to get back to normal too, but the longer we ignore that we are in the middle of a pandemic, and the country (or our state specifically) goes on like we are back to normal, means that WE CAN'T return to normal. It sucks, and it feels like as a whole we are too selfish to consider we handled this whole thing absolutely wrong.

Here school starts in three weeks . Full time in presence up to college. Masks to be worn when not sitting in class for 10 years old and up. ( just order some more to cover schools days and gymnastic practices....)

Here school starts in three weeks . Full time in presence up to college. Masks to be worn when not sitting in class for 10 years old and up. ( just order some more to cover schools days and gymnastic practices....)
In Ohio, our governor decided to change it from 3rd grade and up need masks (unless they get a medical exemption, then face shield) ... to kindergarten and up. :(

We start back in person on September 9.... private school. All public in our area are virtual so we will see whether we can truly start. I hope so... teaching on zoom=no fun!

No way would they increase it? We’re under 1% now. Do you mean decrease it? I guess we’ll have to see how it goes mid September...
He would likely only decrease it. But he will follow the numbers, when it suits him. So if it suited him to up it, he would do that.

Schools here start on Monday. No temp checks, no masks, sports as normal.... I'm not sure there is much protection or caution happening. Admittedly, we also are very rural with very few cases. But it does make those of us in healthcare nervous.

Can I ask where you are located?

Schools here start on Monday. No temp checks, no masks, sports as normal.... I'm not sure there is much protection or caution happening. Admittedly, we also are very rural with very few cases. But it does make those of us in healthcare nervous.

This is actually the same for the schools that have opened here, it's mind boggling to me. We are not in an area that has few cases, so not having those things in place was a surprise to me.

I actualy don't know for certain that they don't check temps, but I know that masks aren't required, and social distancing (based on actual classroom photos) is not happening either.

A friend teaching in a rural area has a very similar setup starting in a couple weeks. Theoretically they will have masks--governor mandated--but when they was in building recently no one else was wearing one. Their district was making it optional and discouraged for teachers before the mandate. 30 students/class, 7 different classes a day. The district has also decided if one sibling tests positive, other siblings are expected to still attend unless they also test positive. No plan to quarantine classes/schools at all for positive tests.

She's apprehensive.

A friend teaching in a rural area has a very similar setup starting in a couple weeks. Theoretically they will have masks--governor mandated--but when they was in building recently no one else was wearing one. Their district was making it optional and discouraged for teachers before the mandate. 30 students/class, 7 different classes a day. The district has also decided if one sibling tests positive, other siblings are expected to still attend unless they also test positive. No plan to quarantine classes/schools at all for positive tests.

She's apprehensive.

Sounds super similar to here. No masks required except for bench/sidelines players at sporting events, which the superintendent is very upset about. Schools 45 minutes away are being more cautious, but not ours.

She's apprehensive.
My mind is absolutely blown.

Remote learning the only option for now.

First year of high school, all Honors classes and she is 2 years ahead in math....ugh. I have her working with a tutor reviewing Algebra I and starting Algebra 2. The tutor can provide more explanation during the year if necessary.

6 new teachers with all different communication styles that have never taught remotely and no fun stuff like Homecoming, etc.

How are they going to dissect a frog from home? Lol!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back