Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think this is a big reason that 40% of our district opted for full-time at-home learning. Even people who aren't worried about the health risks are worried about continuity of instruction for the in-person program.
Our district is so small that if 40% of the families opt for the Digital Academy, then everything gets easier for the in class group, especially if we have to go to the blended model. Most classes wouldn't have more than 7-8 kids in class at a time and even the smallest classrooms have 3 ft of social distance space (with plexiglass dividers between) with 24 kids.

The district sent out one last survey and it asked which blended learning version they prefer (for those times when we may have to switch to blended) ... and if the version chosen, if NOT the one they want, would lead them to choose the digital academy instead. Digital Academy sign up deadline has technically passed, but the survey also asked if we thought they should extend the deadline to AFTER the school board meeting and final approval of all contingencies is set.
The versions offered were: 2 consecutive days - either M-T or R-F ... or non-consecutive days - either M-R or T-F.

Our district is so small that if 40% of the families opt for the Digital Academy, then everything gets easier for the in class group, especially if we have to go to the blended model. Most classes wouldn't have more than 7-8 kids in class at a time and even the smallest classrooms have 3 ft of social distance space (with plexiglass dividers between) with 24 kids.

Our district is pulling teachers from the physical schools to teach in the new full-time on-line school. Class sizes will be somewhat larger in the on-line school than in person, but in-person class sizes will not decrease much.

Our district is pulling teachers from the physical schools to teach in the new full-time on-line school. Class sizes will be somewhat larger in the on-line school than in person, but in-person class sizes will not decrease much.

That is happening in our district.....people are being pulled, so classes, if in person, will be slightly larger.

Across the whole district it was 925 out of 42,000 students, or more than 2%, quarantined in the first week after schools opened. That is a staggering number of children exposed within a very short period of time.
That there are folks quarantined does not equal exposure. They are being over cautious as they should be.

Those that had direct exposure is likely far far fewer

That there are folks quarantined does not equal exposure. They are being over cautious as they should be.

Those that had direct exposure is likely far far fewer

People are quarantined because they have been exposed. That doesn't mean they actually caught it, but the reason to quarantine someone is that they have been exposed.

People are quarantined because they have been exposed. That doesn't mean they actually caught it, but the reason to quarantine someone is that they have been exposed.
Abundance of caution.Not necessarily direct exposure. I feel pretty confident that close to 1 thousand people were not close to those that were positive. They were in the same building, at the same time. That is not actual exposure.

News reporting states that it is a student or teacher's positive test, not a parent's, that triggers quarantine of exposed person. The quarantined kids were directly exposed at school.

Yes, but were all of these kids within 6 feet of the positive kids for over 15 minutes?? That’s the true definition of exposed. Disclaimer: I can’t read the article because I don’t want to make an account.

Yes, but were all of these kids within 6 feet of the positive kids for over 15 minutes?? That’s the true definition of exposed. Disclaimer: I can’t read the article because I don’t want to make an account.
Exactly.

They are being overly cautious as they should be.

If I go to a different state I have to "quarantine" that has nothing to do with actual exposure.

If they were being “overly cautious” they wouldn’t have decided to hold in-person school in the first place... Let’s not give them some sort of credit for acting proactively when what they are really doing is reacting to their own bad decisions.

My kids start back 4 days a week in person in two weeks and have to wear masks all day, obviously. The school made parents commit to all virtual or a hybrid of in-person/virtual last week and only 40% wanted the hybrid option, so they are actually letting our kids go 4 days since there is enough space for them to spread out. I'm happy for them but also super nervous. Has anyone sent their kids back in person? How is it going so far? Are they able to keep a mask on all day? If so, what kind are you using? Ugh.
Where are you? I'm in Georgia so clearly not going back in person any time soon.

Here in Australia there was never the option. When schools were shut everyone was taught online, when they reopened the online options were dropped. If parents chose not to send their kids back to school, they were on their own.

In my State Schools were closed for 6 weeks back in April/May for 2nd-10th Grade. They were shut for 4 weeks for other Grades. Our situation was a little different because the school year runs from Jan-Dec, so we are still in the middle of the school year.

The big significantissue teachers and schools faced was that everyone did their home school to a different degree.

Some kids really flew with Home School, completed all their work, plus a lot of extra work. While other kids did nothing at all and didn’t even sign into school the whole time. Then you had everything in between.

This presented a new challenge to teachers as everyone was now in a totally different place.
That's how it should be. Giving parents choices is ridiculous. It promotes an everyone for themselves attitude. How can parents possibly makes these choices?

And we really dont know a lot about it. Or how it’s playing out.

Whats the breakdown of cases? Is it specific cluster? Ages. Serverity of illness, are they sick at all? Are they even all positives or are some false positive?

oh and to note the district has 42, 000 students and close to 6000 employees
thats 0.12% positive
Just watch the numbers go up, up, up. That's how these things happen. I'll help you with the data: https://www.cherokeek12.net/Content2/casestatusreport

Another article linked in that one says the school district sent letters to all who had “close contact” with someone who tested positive. The cases were across 10 different schools. since they don’t specify the exact number of minutes of exposure, I suppose you can presume whatever reinforces what you already feel, but I would presume they are following cdc guidelines for what constitutes “close contact”, especially since this particular state has not been overly cautious in any other respect when it comes to all of this.

If they were being “overly cautious” they wouldn’t have decided to hold in-person school in the first place... Let’s not give them some sort of credit for acting proactively when what they are really doing is reacting to their own bad decisions.
Again, there are children who need to be in class. I one hundred percent support someones right to want to not send their children back. But there are children who need to back in school. For many reasons. I don't judge folks for staying home. I wish people would stop judging those who choose not to.

We have had many camps and day cares open. Day cares open the whole time. There are now businesses opening and managing to do it safely. There aremany "essential" workers who have worked the whole time.

There are ways to be open safely.

Just watch the numbers go up, up, up. That's how these things happen. I'll help you with the data: https://www.cherokeek12.net/Content2/casestatusreport
Or watch that they don't go up...........

Remember they horror that was reported that 2 hair stylists worked covid positive. Made a big deal about all the "exposure". The story ended..... No one, no other worker or client tested positive or got sick.

Also based on your link, they distinguish actual positive cases vs precautionary quarantine. Precautionary being the operative word. Not because of direct exposure. They are being cautious as they should be.

That's how it should be. Giving parents choices is ridiculous. It promotes an everyone for themselves attitude. How can parents possibly makes these choices?
I prefer to be given information and make the best choice for my child and my family.

Again I respect those who want to keep their children home, 100 percent.

And there are so many children who need to be in school. I don't expect someone who wants to keep their kids at home to be forced to go to school. But don't expect me to keep my child home, when what is best for her is to be back in school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back