Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Welp, our school district decided to release schedules for around 10,000 on-line and in-person students at the exact same time during the afternoon of the Friday before school opened. Then they were surprised that the server crashed. Good luck to them next week with all their other new technology and procedures.

My kids are back (and my gymnast finally returns Wednesday- don't get me started on safety of school but not gymnastic.) Been back 2 weeks and so far so good. Spaced out, masks, block schedules for secondary (which the high school kids hate), tents outside for band and classes can be held outside if teacher prefers. Elementary stay in "pods" so no masks at recess because the playground has been divided with barriers. Kids have adapted just fine and appreciate being back.

All teachers in our district went back to work last Monday, and students in grades PK, K, 1, 6, and 9 whose parents opted for face-to-face instruction started yesterday. During teacher work week, three teachers at one school tested positive, and a large fraction of the school's faculty had to be quarantined (including the mother of my daughter's friend). That school did not open as scheduled. Despite the district's assurances that all schools would be poised to switch to on-line instruction at any time, the school wasn't ready to go on line and no instruction is being provided.

This will be a long year.

We are on week 3 of a hybrid schedule and all has gone well so far. Grades PK-3 will get to go back full time next week.

The school my daughter went to last year has been open for 3 weeks, hybrid schedule, and a staff member tested positive, so the entire 8th grade is quarantined for two weeks and all learning is online for that time. It confirmed that for us, homeschooling this year is the right decision. I could not handle not knowing when or if school was going to be in person or online.

Just curious for those who have gone back to in person school or will be how many students are allowed back per classroom? Last I saw maximum locally is 10. Classes for my kids have ranged from 20-24 for K-3rd in the past

Just curious for those who have gone back to in person school or will be how many students are allowed back per classroom? Last I saw maximum locally is 10. Classes for my kids have ranged from 20-24 for K-3rd in the past

I will have 14-15 in my class. I have them all 6 feet apart. I do have a large room, but I teach special education, and even in the larger room, it was nearly impossible.

I will have 14-15 in my class. I have them all 6 feet apart. I do have a large room, but I teach special education, and even in the larger room, it was nearly impossible.

That would seem nearly impossible the larger number of students and also with the other challenges of special education. Under normal circumstances that seems a large number to me as well for one teacher to handle special needs. Good Luck

That would seem nearly impossible the larger number of students and also with the other challenges of special education. Under normal circumstances that seems a large number to me as well for one teacher to handle special needs. Good Luck
Thanks. I was supposed to have 19 this year (I teach students with more intense needs). I had 1 move, and then I had 3 decide to stay home an extra year. I might have 1-3 come back, but we will see. I am not sure how it will work, and that gives me a bit of anxiety. But we will figure it outl

Our middle school normally has about 30 (which is huge! I had no idea until recently) but says classes will now be capped at 16. I think this is district-wide. Elementary is usually 20-25ish.

That said, we are still 100% virtual even with very low infection rates.

For us if and when we ever start. 50% capacity. That works out to 12-15 students depending on the size of the classroom.

We have a cap of 20 for the classes going back full time. That allows 3ft with a mask. Our middle and high school buildings are new with larger classrooms we can fit 20 in there with all six feet apart but they are hybrid right now.

I checked and YG's classes look like they have a max of 10 per class (for the classes she is taking). However, it they start going full time instead of hybrid, one of her classes will have 19. Luckily, it is an Ag class and they have a HUGE room!

Back in school since September 9th- private. It’s going super well considering all the masks and new rules.

To give a UK view, our children are supposed to be all back at school full time. Fines for non attendance. My children sit shoulder to shoulder with classmates all day. 30 to a room. No masks. Masks are optional in corridors which are considered more busy and strongly recommended on the school bus. Basically they have zero protection and the decision has been made that their risk from covid is less than their risk from not going to school. Parents have no say in that decision.

Gym are still non contact, low numbers in at once, cleaning and social distancing. Gym is very much the safer environment.

In Quebec all schools are open, only online for the very few at risk and being certified at risk is very rare. You can choose to pull your child out of the schools system, and homeschool, but that is an unusual thing in Quebec.

There are cases in schools, teachers and students, testing accessible. But generally numbers rising in Quebec again.

If I had a school aged child, I would have sent them back. But I can only imagine how stressful it would be.

When they go back, our district will start with half classes. Each set will go back 2 days/wk, with Wed off for teacher work days to prep. Presumably, the students who are at home are linked into the classroom for lessons but I do not know this for sure. The teachers have all been teaching from their classrooms since the start of school (all the students currently online) so I think that is the plan. Our schools are really crowded due to increased construction with no plans for new schools to keep up pace. That may have been one of the reasons for 1/2 classes.

We are currently all online. Most teachers are in their classrooms teaching via zoom. Classes are run on the normal school bell schedule but they are only taking three classes per semester. So a whole year of class in one semester. They have double the number of hours in each class (3 vs 6) so it all works out.

Talks have begun about easing into a hybrid models as numbers are starting to look better here. They will start with the early elementary kids if things stay consistent or continue to fall over the next few weeks. They are waiting to see the effects of Labor Day weekend. Then they will move up the age groups.

Everyone is grouped in cohorts so that they can go two days a week in two different groups. They really had to mess with everyone’s electives to make this all work and keep everyone in their cohort. My daughter didn’t get either of the classes she chose. They still satisfy the credit requirements that she needs just in much less interesting ways.

Because the classes are on the same schedule virtually that they will be in school it seems the transition between online learning and in class learning should be pretty easy and seamless. The teachers are doing a really good job managing the time and breaking it up with synchronous and asynchronous learning time but it is still a long day for home learning. Most districts around here have class time in the morning and independent time in The afternoon which I think would work much better for home learning but I understand the benefit of being able to go back and forth consistently. There would be very little disruption if they went back and then had to go back to virtual or whatever.

The other benefit to this set up is that they are getting group work time and have small break out groups where they can work together and interact with each other rather than having the teacher just talking with all their mics and cameras off. The teacher seems to pop into the groups in a round for support and questions. It‘s working well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back