Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our district has been doing hybrid for over a month without any issues and plans to go to full time in person learning for elementary within the next month.

I'm teaching remotely & start hybrid (HS) next week - we are split into 2 cohorts (they are not exactly equal size - but no classes larger than 16 for me) and they attend in person (T/W or Th/F) - Monday is remote still without scheduled classes but time for interventions as needed. We are planning two days of in person lessons followed by 2 days of related activities they can complete on their own (remotely), followed by one day (remote) of introducing new material and vocabulary so we can jump in to the new material the next in class day. That's not what we were told to do... we weren't given any specifics - but that what makes sense to me. My kids have been back in person full time since August(different district) with no problems.
I personally can't wait to have people in the building again - we were allowed to work from home but I prefer being here - but it is lonely!

I don't think people's fear comes from their own lack of understanding of how the virus is transmitted. It comes from a lack of trust that other people, and especially institutions such as schools, will take the proper precautions. Our school district, for example, has repeatedly demonstrated that it is unwilling to take the most basic of common-sense precautions. Yesterday the local news reported that there were confirmed student cases, but only the two kids who sat closest to each positive kid on the bus were quarantined. No classmates or teachers were quarantined, nor were the rest of the kids on the bus. This leads parents to assume that if a kid who doesn't ride the bus (and most don't) tests positive, that case won't even be reported. No wonder people are fearful.
Oh no! That's horrendous.

Well as a little update, we managed 2 weeks back at school before the whole year group has to quarantine for 2 weeks due to a cluster of cases. Fortunately she seems fine nad healthy but is not happy at 2 weeks off gym jus when all her pre-lockdown skills seemed to be coming back.

I was telling my son that this is my biggest worry. HIm beign quarantined and not being able to do gym.

Right now, he is virtual, but they will be going back hybrid on 10/19.....unless things get worse before then.

100% in person here, unless you have médical issue. Same number of students in class ( DD: 24 DS: 35) but classes are in closes bubbles ( no activities between classes). If a kid has a positive test, then the whole classes goes for quarantine ( with 14 days of online schooling).

Numbers are really up, but not related to schools, more with social activities ( adults).

It makes me cringe when I hear of school districts going into this with no central plan. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. We switched to synchronous from asynchronous in the spring and it has been so much better. I think the plan is to continue that with the hybrid model, with half the class in person, half remote. The teachers have learned to keep it brief and focused. I imagine they will instruct for 20 minutes and then work with the students in person.

My daughter’s college is hybrid, meaning any student could take any class remotely, and approximately 50% of the classes were offered in person for anyone who chose that. One of her classes was offered in person, but it ended up being a hot mess. The teacher tried for one class to have the remote and in-person students in class at once- he had the room wired for mic/sound and had a large monitor for the remote students to be zoomed in. It was a disaster for everyone. Due to covid rules, the in-person students were all far apart from one other and masked, as was the instructor. The students all couldn’t hear each other and the professor had trouble talking to both sets at once. After one class the solution he decided on was that the in-person students would come to class with laptops and headphones, and he would teach everyone over zoom. Makes the whole experiment pointless imo.

We are going into week 4 of hybrid with synchronous learning in our district. Kids are in person with masks and social distancing either M/T or TH/F, and everyone is virtual on Wednesday while the schools are deep cleaned. Families could also choose to be 100% virtual as well. My kids are happy with it for the most part since instruction is so much better than what they got in the spring. They love their two in-person days since it feels semi-normal to be back in the school, but I can also hear them laughing and engaging with their classmates/teachers online on their virtual days. Its far from perfect but our school administration tried really hard to communicate with families and be transparent through their decision-making process over the summer. There is a plan to go back full-time if numbers stay low over the next month but who knows if that will actually happen.

Our School Board moved up the decision to go back to full-time in school. They have been doing hybrid since Sept 8 and will start full-time on October 5. We have had no issues. No cases in the district to date. They said they will stay with the full-time unless the governor orders another shut down (and just deal with any cases as they come - quarantine close contacts, etc).

Our school board is meeting next week to possibly approve a plan to return in some kind of hybrid fashion at the end of Oct. My kids would much much rather be masked, distanced and in school, so if there are any in school option I will likely send them. I do worry about the possible chaos of quarantined classes, and going back and forth from online to in school when/if that happens.

Right now things are working well enough in our district with live remote classes in the morning and independent work time in the afternoon. A rolling start hybrid option will begin soon. Ever since our area has been under a mask mandate, cases have dropped very low - so I’m comfortable starting hybrid from that perspective. However personally I’d rather just stay remote at this point as the schedule is working well for us and like SMH said I worry that if there are outbreaks, it will be disruptive to education all around. Plus I LOVE not figuring out what to put in lunchboxes every day!

I'm not sure there is much protection or caution happening. Admittedly, we also are very rural with very few cases. But it does make those of us in healthcare nervous.

I'm teaching remotely & start hybrid (HS) next week - we are split into 2 cohorts (they are not exactly equal size - but no classes larger than 16 for me) and they attend in person (T/W or Th/F) - Monday is remote still without scheduled classes but time for interventions as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our district has a new hybrid plan for all grades K-12 to go back to in class 2 days a week, split depending on last name. So each elementary class should have no more than 10-12 kids per in person in school learning class and possibly less depending on how many pick to stay fully online.
My kids would be in school on M/Th, have 100 mins of online instruction on Wed, and Be completely asynchronous Tu/Fri. They will wear masks all day except for lunch and outside.
The district worked with the health department to come up with a set of health metrics/criteria that has to be met for in person hybrid learning and eventually full time.
My gymnast (a 5th grader) and my 2nd grader have asked to go back, and we will let them. My Kindergarten age kiddo I already pulled from public school and have been homeschooling, so we will continue that.
Several districts around us in the same county have opened for in person learning and been successful so I hope we are also to also.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back