Parents Anyone have a gymnast out there suffering processing/planning issues??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

funny_farm30

Proud Parent
I have a daughter who has processing/planning issues meaning the the more complex skills and their instructions are, my daughter struggles to remember them all and would likely remember one part of the instructions, and unable to remember the rest... this means she then struggles to remember everything needed to then do a skill, and put it in a routine.
Bars is her worst affected- she'll focus on keeping her arms straight in the glide kip, but then won't be able to remember to keep her feet together, cast properly as she simply can't hold all that information.
I would love to hear from others in a similar situation, as it's at a point where she either gets medical help, or quits gym.
It's definitely not a strength issue, she has an occupational therapy report which confirms the issue with following/receiving instruction... it's just the higher the level, the harder the skills, with much higher levels of instruction, and her brain just shuts down... it's really sad

I have a daughter who has processing/planning issues meaning the the more complex skills and their instructions are, my daughter struggles to remember them all and would likely remember one part of the instructions, and unable to remember the rest... this means she then struggles to remember everything needed to then do a skill, and put it in a routine.
Bars is her worst affected- she'll focus on keeping her arms straight in the glide kip, but then won't be able to remember to keep her feet together, cast properly as she simply can't hold all that information.
I would love to hear from others in a similar situation, as it's at a point where she either gets medical help, or quits gym.
It's definitely not a strength issue, she has an occupational therapy report which confirms the issue with following/receiving instruction... it's just the higher the level, the harder the skills, with much higher levels of instruction, and her brain just shuts down... it's really sad

I actually work with an athlete who works like this. She is now 14, but I have been coaching her since she was 10. I use a lot of video recording with her, and focus on one part of the skill only. Once that is right, we move on. Video playback allows her to visually see where the mistakes are, and also highlight what is working well. we have done lots of scaffolding with her, and she now understands that whilst it takes her longer to get skills, when she gets them they are actually usually competition ready, as there is a lot more time on each of the basic steps. She does get frustrated that others seem to get skills quicker than her, so there's a lot of re framing that happens here.

Also, putting in verbal check lists for a lot of skills helps her remember what needs to be done. For example; BHS on beam "script" goes something like this.... Lock in - feet, ankles, knees, hips, chest, shoulders. Arms down, point (to beam), knee bend, knee extend, jump point, stick. I know it sounds like a lot of instructions, but ; we video the skill movement, with me saying each step as she does it. she can then replay this as much as she needs to at home. It becomes her automatic self talk when doing the skill. her script is now down to - Lock legs, point, bend extend, jump, point.

I think it is helpful to know how the athlete learns best, and develop techniques that support this.. My athlete is a visual learner, thus video is fantastic. I also know that more than 2 instructions at a time overwhelms her, so as coach I need to prioritize what I need her to do, because no matter how simple the instruction, 2 at a time is her limit. Prime example; warming up for vault at a comp, my instructions to her were; run fast, squeeze tight and bend your knees when you land. She burst into hears and said "i don't know what you mean by bend my knees". In reality she does, but because there were 3 instructions, she was only able to process the first 2, and the third was just a blur. we laugh about it know, frequently, but it is what it is. She's a great kid and eager to please so we work hard together to find the right balance for us as athlete and coach.

That was a bit long winded, but I hope it is somewhat helpful.

Oh, also with the bars issue, physical cues such as "sticky toes" can be super helpful in training the feet to stay together in casts and glide kips.

I actually work with an athlete who works like this. She is now 14, but I have been coaching her since she was 10. I use a lot of video recording with her, and focus on one part of the skill only. Once that is right, we move on. Video playback allows her to visually see where the mistakes are, and also highlight what is working well. we have done lots of scaffolding with her, and she now understands that whilst it takes her longer to get skills, when she gets them they are actually usually competition ready, as there is a lot more time on each of the basic steps. She does get frustrated that others seem to get skills quicker than her, so there's a lot of re framing that happens here.

Also, putting in verbal check lists for a lot of skills helps her remember what needs to be done. For example; BHS on beam "script" goes something like this.... Lock in - feet, ankles, knees, hips, chest, shoulders. Arms down, point (to beam), knee bend, knee extend, jump point, stick. I know it sounds like a lot of instructions, but ; we video the skill movement, with me saying each step as she does it. she can then replay this as much as she needs to at home. It becomes her automatic self talk when doing the skill. her script is now down to - Lock legs, point, bend extend, jump, point.

I think it is helpful to know how the athlete learns best, and develop techniques that support this.. My athlete is a visual learner, thus video is fantastic. I also know that more than 2 instructions at a time overwhelms her, so as coach I need to prioritize what I need her to do, because no matter how simple the instruction, 2 at a time is her limit. Prime example; warming up for vault at a comp, my instructions to her were; run fast, squeeze tight and bend your knees when you land. She burst into hears and said "i don't know what you mean by bend my knees". In reality she does, but because there were 3 instructions, she was only able to process the first 2, and the third was just a blur. we laugh about it know, frequently, but it is what it is. She's a great kid and eager to please so we work hard together to find the right balance for us as athlete and coach.

That was a bit long winded, but I hope it is somewhat helpful.

Oh, also with the bars issue, physical cues such as "sticky toes" can be super helpful in training the feet to stay together in casts and glide kips.

I loved reading your post. It is wonderful to be reminded that there are many, many coaches who care about the children first and foremost.
My DD trains at a gym where the coaches really try to accommodate every gymnast no matter their skill or potential. (And they get really good results as well ;-) )

I loved reading your post. It is wonderful to be reminded that there are many, many coaches who care about the children first and foremost.
My DD trains at a gym where the coaches really try to accommodate every gymnast no matter their skill or potential. (And they get really good results as well ;-) )

Thank you PinPin. The basic fact is, I work for the gymnasts. No one else. If I'm not working with them and for them, whats the point? And there ARE a lot of coaches out there who put the gymnast first. There is always a pathway in gymnastics for anyone who wants it. There's just not the same pathway for everyone. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back