Anyone heard of teamgym??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not team gym as in artistic teamgym but like the Scandinavian version, tumbling,trampette/vault and floor? I do it and love it so much yet it's barely recognised which is so annoying!

I love it and a friend's son does it in the UK but it is only a European sport so we don't have it here in Australia (nor is it in the US).

It is huge in Europe. We actually do have it in Australia, there are a lot of gyms who do it.

aussie coach, really? I looked it up and it's not on gymnastics australia or gymnastics nsw websites as a gymsport and I couldn't find a nsw club doing it or know of anyone doing it.
I think it looks great so where does it?

There are a very few teams in the US and I believe it falls under group gymnastics. It never really caught on here.

aussie coach, really? I looked it up and it's not on gymnastics australia or gymnastics nsw websites as a gymsport and I couldn't find a nsw club doing it or know of anyone doing it.
I think it looks great so where does it?

teamgym is one of the many disciplines under the banner of General Gymnastics (now called gymnastics for all). If you look that up on Gym NSW and Gym Australia you will find more info. We hold competitions here in Australia for Teamgym and we send teams to Europe to compete in the world championships on a regular basis.

teamgym is one of the many disciplines under the banner of General Gymnastics (now called gymnastics for all). If you look that up on Gym NSW and Gym Australia you will find more info. We hold competitions here in Australia for Teamgym and we send teams to Europe to compete in the world championships on a regular basis.
Thanks, I'll have a look. Not that any of my kids need another sport, lol.

And of course, it is not offered anywhere near where we are, lol. And the competitions (even state) seem to be over in the area where the gyms are that offer it so can't even go and watch. But good to know it does exist here.

Yeah!

I actually did teamgym after artistics. This is very common in here. When girls "grow out" of competitive artistic gymnastics they start teamgym (at age 12-18 usually)

Here in Finland we also have VERY strong aestethic group gymnastics culture. This is a Finnish team which is going to compete at World Championships in Finland in June: Fotonit (FIN) - Aesthetic Group Gymnastics World Championships 2010 - YouTube We have won several World Championships in the past.

We also have rhythmic, acrobatics, trampoline gymnastics and competitive aerobic. Every summer we all gather together for four days! It's fantastic to see other than artistics too.

(nor is it in the US).

Actually I just looked up in the group gymnastics part of the USAG website. I never really understood what that part of the website was, but I guess they have posted results from "TeamGym Invitational - NBAA Mardi Gras Meet" in those results they also have whether or not they qualified for nationals. I did not know it existed in the US either but glad to hear about it.

Has anyone gone to see the National Danish Performance Team? They are an exhibition group from Denmark, that performs teamgym gymnastics (mostly the tumbling and trampette) , dance, and rhythmic gymnastics. They tour internationally every other year. We have been lucky enough to see them twice. It's a nice exposure to this style of gymnastics, for those of us who live in places where teamgym is not common.

They do a lot of community outreach on their tour as well- visiting schools and youth clubs. Here is their website:
About the team

My daughter did teamgym at her prior gym prior to doing artistic. My daughter liked it and there are meets actually at Disneyland inside California Adventure. It seems like a great idea, however, it seems like they are using it as a moneymaker and not as a true "sport". They make the qualifying scores to state and nationals very easy to obtain. When my daughter was competing, there wasn't a single team in our area at her level (6 or 7 teams) that didn't qualify for nationals. I get that it is gymnastics for all and gives some kids who can't do beam and bars a chance to do gymnastics, but I really think after having watched it for a year, that it is a joke. It seems like it is more about politics and less about the competion.

I think your totally wrong, that may be how it is in America, but not in the uk, at our qualifiers for British the top team goes through with anyone else getting over 41 with average scores being 12, so I think that comment is wrong, it is a sport, me an my team work and train hard just as much as artistic gymnasts

And about it being a money maker? My club relies on fees and donations to keep going any money made at competitions goes towards helping the club, and the politics? All the teams I compete with get along and we all have a laugh, it's all about having fun. Taking part and supporting each other as well as the sport

Team gym is a wonderful sport, it celebrates the audience appeal of gymnastics so well. It can be very basic, they have teams of over 60's or it can be very intense with athletes training just as hard as any elite gymnast.

I'm sure in other countries and possibly in other states, it is better run. The girls are talented athletes, but where I'm from, it is horribly political and very much like "Dance Mom's". The gyms in our area charge a fortune for the team fees and make it sound so elite and special and come up with more and more fees to rope you and commit you to their gym with little means to finally get out and move to artistic. After most meets the girls were upset and frustrated because they could never win at meets because the judging always favored 1 or 2 teams. There are many disagreements and arguing amongst gym owners and coaches and these issues are taken out on the girls and it becomes very obvious to even the youngest girls.

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone or any of the gymnasts. My thoughts about it not being a sport related to fairness in judging and leaving the politics and other junk off the gym floor and letting the girls compete. Compare this to the issues in the 90's with ice skating judging.

I agree with armbmom, in the USA Teamgymn has issues. We were at a National Meet a number of years ago and the top few teams were total sandbags and actually did skills not allowed at the level they were competing. Did they get marked down for the too advanced skills? NOPE, they won! These few teams win it every single year too. That was our one and only experience with it and we said, no thank you. No wonder only a few gyms offer it.

I do TeamGym here in the UK and I love it!
I totally agree with you it should be more well known as it is fun to do and amazing to watch as well.

~Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it~

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back